funkylime's "wee indie rokk vignette"

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

"what we go through" 320kbps MP3, 2:20

tonight was a record-off between myself and a friend. we often do this thing where we syncronize a 2-hour impromptu recording session, and afterward we compare our results and critique each others' works.

the theme tonight was "pop tune" so i made a spacey piano mini-ballad.
i strayed from my norm in a few ways tonight, not the least being the genre departure. i didn't use a metronome, i didn't use headphones for tracking, i didn't touch my guitar, and i sang! (and i opted for a mellow sativa tonight instead of this kick-in-the-face indica i've been puffing on lately)

i spent most of the time tweaking the drum and vocal sounds, and definately not enough time composing/writing. still, for being only two hours of work, i'm pleased with the sound quality.

made with REAPER. comments/criticisms encouraged, and thanks for checking it out!

(sorry about the) lyrics:

something tells me it's 10 o'clock
i'd rather go for a ride
with my favorite, it's my favorite
brown shirt
i heard them talking about me, they said
what's up with that guy, whats up with that guy?
did you ever wonder why the sky is turning green?
if you aren't yet very high, just come see what i mean
we all take chances
nobody knows
what they're going to, what they're going to be
some day, some way
what we're going through, what we're going through...

time for a snack and some medieval 2 total war...
Last edited by funky lime on Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The vocals I'm not particularly fond of (some really out of tune moments relative to the music), but the music is really pretty and well executed. The lyrics are great and would probably work in another vocalists hands just fine...maybe in a higher register?
I have heard you sing, so I know you can. But this just didn't seem like your comfort zone.
Just my thoughts.

thanks for listening, and i appreciate the feedback.

the whole idea of the composition was stepping outside of my comfort zone and writing something other than fast, busy spacerock. unfortunately with the time limit, i had to settle for the first vocal take, hence the sloppiness.

and thanks to my pot-smoking addiction, my vocal range is becoming more limited with each passing toke. i think by the time i hit 22 i'll be down to just one octave :? (and thats only a week away!)

maybe i'll just avoid the radio-friendly, vocal genres altogether :hihi:

again thanks for listening and commenting

Good song, liked the lyrics and feeling. Vocals have some little flat moments, and seem a bit heavy on low end. And spacey piano blends with bass a but too much maybe.

I was just getting into it then it stopped! Not so much a pop ballad as a wee indie rokk vignette. Make it more. I liked the singing, then again me fave singers are morrisey, bernard sumner and bobby gillespie...

Nice.

Return to “Music Cafe”