dhonga dhonga dom

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

greetings. :-)

here's something very different:

dhonga dhonga dom

way back in the day i studied tabla. this is a tabla 'song' presented in theme and variations form. FOR THREE VOICES (bass, baritone, soprano). ;-)

i wrote it for the vocal trio i work with; this is just a rough draft to let me hear what it would sound like. i made it by pitch-shifting my own voice: sounds TERRIBLE! but it enables you to get an idea of what the piece might sound like.

enjoy. :-)

this is crazy cool! Very, very interesting idea and it just gets more interesting towards the end. That must have taken you a while to pull off. Is this a common practice for writing 'tabla-ture' to use your voice to layout the parts?

That's brilliant :) great rhythm and expression :)

Sounds great imo :D :band2:

Jazzyspoon wrote:this is crazy cool! Very, very interesting idea and it just gets more interesting towards the end.
that is the plan, and most indian ragas work this way. :-)
Jazzyspoon wrote:That must have taken you a while to pull off. Is this a common practice for writing 'tabla-ture' to use your voice to layout the parts?
when you are a student of indian drumming, you learn bols (patterns) by singing them. the singing is considered a tool for learning the drum strokes, but it is so beautiful and amazingly virtuosic that it can stand on its own.

Spe3D wrote:That's brilliant :) great rhythm and expression :)

Sounds great imo :D :band2:
thanks. :-) let us hope our vocal trio can do it as well live!

That was insanely awesome.

Great work, I left for a meeting to find this waiting for me. I'm really loving it Rick. The pperformance is sooo expressive and natural (was it programmed or performed?). Just amazing.

TrioLok Gurtu ... fantastic on headphones! I :love: it.

mellok
"It dreamed itself along"

I like this rhythmic mood, great sound traffic on the voices. Sometimes there is like a french accent.
You can't always get what you waaaant...

:lol: My tune of the day :D

Loved it. The big notes were a bit harsh on my monitors but you said its a rough draught anyway. More!

lol@the voices in the start. oh wait, i thought this was tabla piece. its a voice tabla piece. I like it though either way. Very good use of the voice, must have been tiresome getting it all lined up correctly?

Arglebargle wrote:That was insanely awesome.
if you are not familiar with indian tabla masters singing their songs (often right before they play them) ... you should listen. it's astonishing.

justin3am wrote:Great work, I left for a meeting to find this waiting for me. I'm really loving it Rick. The pperformance is sooo expressive and natural (was it programmed or performed?). Just amazing.
yes it is performed by me ... but pitch shifted and sped up as needed. alas i could not do the very fast parts so effortlessly (or at all) at my present level of expertise.

mellotronaut wrote:TrioLok Gurtu ... fantastic on headphones! I :love: it.

mellok
:-) i've had the great pleasure of seeing zakir hussain several times live. if you ever suffer from musical arrogance, seeing him perform will cure you.

stanlea wrote:I like this rhythmic mood, great sound traffic on the voices. Sometimes there is like a french accent.
traffic! nice ... the french must have been me channeling edith piaf.

Return to “Music Cafe”