100% Freeware music or close

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

deaf dunderkwac wrote:everything I make, noise-wise, is from free stuff.
Most of the free stuff I use have caveats if you use them commercially (which I don't because frankly, I make suck-ass music for grins and giggles)
-there is no discernable difference in the synthetic side of life, and the 'sounds kinda like a real instrument' software can create crazy-good nuances.
I LOVE these devs (but strictly in a platonic fashion because I'm too old or too young for anything else)
I am facinated by yours and MAC of @BIOnighT's music and sound: Could you both tell me which freeware U use?

Best Regards
"I speak for all mediocrities in the world. I am their champion. I am their patron saint."

Hey, thanks!! :) Well, it's a bit hard for me to make a list, as I use just about everything I can put my hands on in terms of freeware...
A list is here http://www.macvibes.com/VST%20page.html but it is old and very, very incomplete - I just have to find the time to update it as soon as possible. I think the actual list includes hundreds of them.
(I'll also say, as I did elsewhere already, that I use an old pentium 2 computer with a very old version of Cubase)

In general, I'm not a fan of big and complicated machines, I like vst's with a simple design that allow you to come up with the sound you have in mind as quickly as possible, so the sound design process doesn't interfere with the music flow (I never use presets) and works in harmony with it instead. That's why even if I had the money for big payware stuff I'd still prefer freeware, as most of it is simple, one purpose things that do one thing and do it well (Monolisa, for example).

I also think that quality of sound depends much more often on the musician's skill and knowledge than it does on the instrument itself. As somebody pointed out above (sorry, don't remember who), the main difference between freeware and payware is very often only in the quality of the presets.

I've heard big commercial machines, and quite frankly, once you get rid of the super-gimmickly effects (that you can apply separately in freeware anyway) etc and you go down to the basic, clean sound, I personally (we're talking IMHO here, OK?) find that there's no real difference between freeware and payware.

I may be romantic and stupid and slightly oriental-thinking, but I think that in freeware there a simple idea that is developed out of love and passion, and love and passion will always be superior to greed, if you respect them...

@Mac of BIOnighT

That was quite a list you got there and you even say its inclompete
Mac of BIOnighT wrote: I also think that quality of sound depends much more often on the musician's skill and knowledge than it does on the instrument itself.
I would agree, but on some gear you might have to work a little harder for it, even if experienced.
Mac of BIOnighT wrote: As somebody pointed out above (sorry, don't remember who), the main difference between freeware and payware is very often only in the quality of the presets.
Yes that was meself who said that I think. The only difference I know of for sure, that is. That does indeed mean something. Good inspiration in fine patches can be kind of "priceless".
Mac of BIOnighT wrote: I may be romantic and stupid and slightly oriental-thinking, but I think that in freeware there a simple idea that is developed out of love and passion, and love and passion will always be superior to greed, if you respect them...
Nothing beats eastern philosophy! :)

Well sometimes I do feel stupid buying a lot of payware gear, but some synths I do find quite hard to "replace" with any freebies, for instance AR bassline Pro, Sylenth 1, Predator and minimonsta. Very high sound quality and very unique features. Of course I can make music that sucks on them or I could make good music on freeware, but my basic instrument will have to turn me on and unfortunately some demos of the companies just get addictive in no time. If i did not know about these things, it would be another story.

But basically I really like the idea, that today you can make music for free if you only have yourself a PC. In the good old 80s no such thing as free music existed, you would save for years for your gear. Spoiled youth now a days, but it is really great concept one must say. Free gear to all. There are good reason to bless the devs for sure. :hail:
"I speak for all mediocrities in the world. I am their champion. I am their patron saint."

Sure, there's nothing wrong with payware if there's something there that you feel is right for you (in the 80's I would have killed for a Fairlight, and that's payanawfullotware... :wink: ).
I am not against payware, I just feel it is totally unjust and false to say that freeware is inferior.

What you say about having to work harder on some gear to get some sounds (true) is actually the reason why I have so many vsti's in my folder - when I think of a sound, I also know which vsti will allow me to get that exact sound in less time than others :)
Of course, I'm not saying you can get any sound from any instrument, I'm just saying that most people discard an instrument way before even scratching the surface of its potentialities calling it crap, while the only crappy thing is their lack of patience, humbleness, knowledge, or patience... :?

other then Synthmaker stuff (because my host crashes on all of it) I use and have downloaded (and at times-discarded) most everything in the KvR database that sez 'free'.
I have very few favorites (I use'em all in one thing or another) Krakli and UGO stuff seem to get used on a regular basis. Crystal is fun to screw with.
I use or don't use presets. Because of my indelable methods of storing patches I have no idea if some are mine or somebody else's.

My host has a feature for creating keyboard sets with anything I want assigned to any key and that gets used pretty often... why I stay with this host, really (besides the fact I've invested so much learning time into it's tools and fugs)

IF (biggie) I sill tried to make money off my (ahem) 'productions' I WOULD not hesitate to purchase software and hardware (well, probably not bother with hardware anymore, although I almost but not quite miss knobs).

Many of my pieces come from 'the latest' download of some free bit of software, whether it be and instrument or an effect of some sort.

I'm neglectful on listing what I use in tracks because they consist of a lot of warped sounds, as well as presets, my variations of presets, my presets,sounds from, like, everything. OPS (Other Peoples' Samples) and whateverelse strikes my fancy at the moment.

I dunno why people think sound design is distracting from making a track, as I find the process to be interactive and inspiring.
I do not use preconceived notions about a track as I'm composing/constructing it, because that takes the 'fun' out of the process.
And I do this for fun and distractions (like some use games and pron :lol: )
for entertaining porpoises only

deaf dunderkwac wrote:I dunno why people think sound design is distracting from making a track, as I find the process to be interactive and inspiring.
I agree! :) It just becomes a problem when you exactly know what you need and you're not getting it fast enough not to interfere with the strictly musical process... But the more you know about what you use, the less this happens :)

Mac of BIOnighT wrote:
deaf dunderkwac wrote:I dunno why people think sound design is distracting from making a track, as I find the process to be interactive and inspiring.
I agree! :) It just becomes a problem when you exactly know what you need and you're not getting it fast enough not to interfere with the strictly musical process... But the more you know about what you use, the less this happens :)
DDK wrote:I do not use preconceived notions about a track as I'm composing/constructing it, because that takes the 'fun' out of the process.
hehe

Yep, I noticed that, but I know that there are different ways of composing - my partner in BIOnighT does this, too, everything begins from sounds for him, no idea before hearing the sound, while I'm mostly the opposite. I was just explaining why and when sound designing becomes a problem for me :wink:

I've worked both sides of the equation... just that one side was influenced by the need to make money/impress others with my musics. Now I don't bother with either... I just like to make noise, annoy others or allow them to 'think' and 'grin'.

deaf dunderkwac wrote:I've worked both sides of the equation... just that one side was influenced by the need to make money/impress others with my musics. Now I don't bother with either... I just like to make noise, annoy others or allow them to 'think' and 'grin'.
Its not noise, its all god damn interesting music in my ears! Really like it.

Best

Hi people,
i am using only freeware software for my music.
The sequencers/hosts used are Buzz and Buze.
The audio editors used are Audacity and Wavosaur.
KVR Audio is the best resource for finding free VST and VSTi.
Buze can use generators and effects plugins from Buzz(Buzzmachines), Psycle, LADSPA, VST, VSTi, DX and DXi.
If you want to listen some of my track try this link to buzzmusic
http://buzzmusic.mccc.com.ua/index.php?userid=1124
All tracks are recorded directly in realtime from BUZZ or BUZE, i.e. not using freezing, multitrack recording and post editing . For someone i have used Wavosaur for fade in and fade out editing.

I am using all these software on a Notebook HP Compaq nx8220 (512MBRam 1,6GHz CPU) with windows XP SP2 , but i am testing also some Linux distribution devoted to music (64 studio, dynebolic, musix GNU Linux) and i think in 6 .. 8 month to switch to the linux platform and so my music will be completely free.

A BIG BIG Thanks to all those generous people that create so many interesting and freeware music software.

Ciao.
Paolo BHS
You can find my music here BuzzMusic BHSMusic

More links, Great! I will check them out. Thanks!

pbhs wrote:
A BIG BIG Thanks to all those generous people that create so many interesting and freeware music software.
Seems like the thread is heading towards a tribute to freeware developers :clap: Great! Please post more :band: anyone then.

I usually use payware, but yesterday I promised myself to make the next tune solely on freeware. Thinks its time to get off the economic disaster of "collectomania" in payware. That disease makes more sense in the freeware realm if any. Found some old and new freebies and made a collection. Do not know If I'll take the step and master it on freeware too, but a have a few freebie DAWs from various issues of CM, so I could do the 100% thing and see where that would end up (But it aint gonna be in 4/4 thats for sure!).

All the Best

Everything I use is freeware except my two sequencers, ReNoise and EnergyXT.

In ReNoise, I rarely use any VST's either...all internal effects and samples. So if you see my name, it's pretty much freeware efforts.

Return to “Music Cafe”