New Track: Unga-Bunga, Baby! (Techno/Hip-Hop/Ambient)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've posted another cut, "Unga-Bunga, Baby!" to my Last FM artist page.

The beat started in Stylus RMX, then got heavily tweaked with various FX in Live 7. Most of the synth lines were done with Albino 3, one with Arturia's Mini Moog. Everything was pretty much improvised in a couple of hours, though sonic tweaking/mix adjustment took a good bit longer after that.

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on this cut.

-JL
All instruments are artificial

fun stuff.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

xoxos wrote:fun stuff.
Thanks, mate.

the genere isn't my cup of tea, but i thought it was reasonably snazzy

i love the minimoog v. big ups for using it

david

davidbuhau wrote:the genere isn't my cup of tea, but i thought it was reasonably snazzy

i love the minimoog v. big ups for using it

david
Danke! I'm a big Moog fan as well, even though I've only ever played Arturia's version, not the real deal.

Sounds great. You have a lot going on, with lots of little sounds building up the aural spectrum rather than one instrument dominating it. However, after a while it sort keep going on without much new happening. That one synth sounds like it wants to burst out into a solo, but it never really gets there. I could have used a hook or two at some point.

Victor.

i liked how it sort of wasn't trying to be anything.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

VicDiesel wrote:Sounds great. You have a lot going on, with lots of little sounds building up the aural spectrum rather than one instrument dominating it. However, after a while it sort keep going on without much new happening. That one synth sounds like it wants to burst out into a solo, but it never really gets there. I could have used a hook or two at some point.

Victor.
I wasn't really thinking of it as a standard pop song, more as a jazz(ish) vamp. The bass groove is the unifying element, everything else comes in and out, and does its own thing, as is often the case with certain types of jazz. I'm thinking of Herbie Hancock's synth-jazz albums like "Thrust" for example. The songs on that album are very free-form, without a verse-chorus structure or even a standard jazz "play the head, solo, solo some more, return to the head again" kind of structure.

Not that I am to the level of even dusting the soles of Herbie's shoes, just that I am taking direct inspiration from the formal elements of some of his songs.

I do kind of want to enhance the cohesiveness a bit, make it more apparent that the song actually is going someplace (it just isn't returning to the same places, hence the feeling that it's too free form).

I'm still very much learning arranging, much less mixing, I think a better mix could improve this song, just not sure exactly what I need to be doing. Thinking about doing sidechain compression tied to the lead synth, so that you can always hear the lead line.

Return to “Music Cafe”