Yun (ElectroProg - Seismic Ironic Subtlety)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I do like it but perhaps am less enthusiastic than the others. It sounds to me that the basis for the composition is a 4 bar loop very densely packed with 20 or so parts. Then variety was created by muting and unmuting the various parts. Towards the end most parts are playing simultaneously.

The whole thing is very intricate but not very memorable for me personally. The other composition of yours I listened to awhile back had more singable, top line melodies.

This is intended as constructive feedback although I am sorry if it did not come out that way.

Allomerus wrote:In regard to the rain. This year we have had plenty of rain in Melbourne and the dams are nearly full! Thank goodness. :)
Yes. Lotsa weather we've been having lately :hihi:

your tracks have a pathway through soundscapes and thoughts, mood changes and visual aspects. another goodie. noticed the sq8l there too, I had the original hardware synth many moons ago. I've been using the soft version lately for some leads, it has a nice simple character thats still very useable.

FrantzM wrote:I do like it but perhaps am less enthusiastic than the others. It sounds to me that the basis for the composition is a 4 bar loop very densely packed with 20 or so parts. Then variety was created by muting and unmuting the various parts. Towards the end most parts are playing simultaneously.

The whole thing is very intricate but not very memorable for me personally. The other composition of yours I listened to awhile back had more singable, top line melodies.

This is intended as constructive feedback although I am sorry if it did not come out that way.
You probably have a point here. This was basically a rhythmic ambient 'scape that I reworked recently by adding a few instrumental parts. Forgetting the percussion, I think there are 9 synths on here and 4 of them are playing arps or arp-like patterns, layered towards the end of the track, which probably creates an impression of density, hence the Ironic Subtlety reference in the thread title :)

I wasn't really going for a strong melody here as I thought the overall vibe of this one was on the dark side and wanted to let the saw/bass/percussion dictate that. Hopefully the next track should redress the melodic balance to some degree.

Glad you liked it, and thanks very much for the feedback. It's cool :)
Last edited by seismic1 on Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seismic1 wrote: You probably heave a point here. This was basically a rhythmic ambient 'scape that I reworked recently by adding a few instrumental parts. Forgetting the percussion, I think there are 9 synths on here and 4 of them are playing arps or arp-like patterns, layered towards the end of the track, which probably creates an impression of density, hence the Ironic Subtlety reference in the thread title :)

I wasn't really going for a strong melody here as I thought the overall vibe of this one was on the dark side and wanted to let the saw/bass/percussion dictate that. Hopefully the next track should redress the melodic balance to some degree.
Having listened to it again, it is growing on me. However, I would have enjoyed it more if that three note string line were developed into a flowing melody and a few arps were dropped so the other parts had more space to breath. But I understand you were going in a different direction with this piece.

wavephonic wrote:your tracks have a pathway through soundscapes and thoughts, mood changes and visual aspects. another goodie. noticed the sq8l there too, I had the original hardware synth many moons ago. I've been using the soft version lately for some leads, it has a nice simple character thats still very useable.
Thanks very much for checking this out and commenting, wavephonic. Glad you liked it :)

SQ8L has grown on me as I use it more. I find it to be very versatile and great for sounds with pseudo-natural components. In fact, I'm going to play with it again tomorrow.

nice washing synths in the beginning :)

I think it would work great if you switched genre's in the tune: for example let orchestral instruments take over the composition slowly, morphing while keeping the same arrangements more or less.

Just a thought I had while listening...Since I heared additional cello's while playing it back :)

Jesse Gorter wrote:nice washing synths in the beginning :)

I think it would work great if you switched genre's in the tune: for example let orchestral instruments take over the composition slowly, morphing while keeping the same arrangements more or less.

Just a thought I had while listening...Since I heared additional cello's while playing it back :)
Thanks very much for listening and commenting, Jesse. It's funny, but I've never really gone for the orchestral sound with electronic music. There is something about that sound combo that I usually find awkward (apart from DM). I must be wired up wrong. Having said that, I have been listening to demos of esgalachoir's new soundset for Zebra, and could see myself trying something with that. I just have to purchase Zebra first :?

Funny that you mentioned cellos, my next track features a virtual cello. In fact I was playing around with it on Sunday, adding some harmonics.

Return to “Music Cafe”