THX-15 - ElectroProg (Seismic Dirge)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Frantz, the latest version has a 1dB cut on that lead synth that comes in at 4:21. Additionally, there is a 2dB increase in the piano volume beginning at 2:45, with a further 1dB increase at 5:00.

seismic1 wrote:Frantz, the latest version has a 1dB cut on that lead synth that comes in at 4:21.
A 1 dB cut is small but large enough that I should be able to hear so I did some investigation.

I loaded both MP3s in Reaper and looped them from 4:21 to 4:24, capturing the peak dBs on Reaper's meters. Comparing the two files in this 3 second period, the left channel peak went down by -0.6 dB and the right channel peak went up by +0.6 dB. -0.6 + 0.6 = 0.0 or no total change. See below.

After doing all of that, I realized the sound was panning back and forth across the stereo field and was in different locations at 4:21 in both versions. So comparing the two files at one specific point in time is not valid. :dog:

In fact, hearing a 1 dB difference in a panning sound, which is changing volume continuously, is very tricky. But at least I now understand why I couldn't easily hear a difference.

In any case, the music is great and it was good to give this another listen. :)

dexterbella wrote:The levels seemed a bit out on this in places but I was only listening on crappy speakers so it's probably down to that! Overall I really liked this an awful lot. :)
Thanks very much for listening and commenting, dexterbella. I hope the levels made more sense on subsequent listening. Glad you liked it :)

fantastic track Tim. the tentative atmosphere created in the first part is excellent.

neil.

thats a cool dark piano line and I liked the echoey synth stab too. great finish, I could hear a sustainy git solo fitting in at the end too

clintmartin wrote:Great work as always! Very good.
Thanks very much for listening and commenting, Clint. Glad you liked it :)

V0RT3X wrote:Nice work on this! I like how the synth melody builds in it @ 2:02 and how the piano clashes in a good way with it. It sounds mysterious and dark, Great work! Love the sound of the vocal synth too!

around 4:39 the sound of the guitar sounds i noticed are a bit bright but other than that i think it is mixed very well.

Cheers!
Thanks very much for listening and commenting, V0RT3X. Glad you liked it :)

That synth sound at the end seems to be mildly controversial. I quite liked the contrast with the other, softer sounds

thanks for the free downlaod :)

Frantz wrote: A 1 dB cut is small but large enough that I should be able to hear so I did some investigation.

I loaded both MP3s in Reaper and looped them from 4:21 to 4:24, capturing the peak dBs on Reaper's meters. Comparing the two files in this 3 second period, the left channel peak went down by -0.6 dB and the right channel peak went up by +0.6 dB. -0.6 + 0.6 = 0.0 or no total change. See below.

After doing all of that, I realized the sound was panning back and forth across the stereo field and was in different locations at 4:21 in both versions. So comparing the two files at one specific point in time is not valid. :dog:

In fact, hearing a 1 dB difference in a panning sound, which is changing volume continuously, is very tricky. But at least I now understand why I couldn't easily hear a difference.

In any case, the music is great and it was good to give this another listen. :)
My main goal here was to make the piano part slightly more prominent during the final section. I hope I was at least partially successful :)

This is put together great! Everything thing fits like a team...piano sounds fantastic. :love:

Makes me think of Deus Ex...strange the way that works...but cool.

Ah, the dirge. I really like the piano on this. That and the sense of quiet menace. The vocal bit took me by surprise, but it works well. Another piece enjoyed. Thanks, seismic1.
No longer a moderator.

macmurphy wrote:fantastic track Tim. the tentative atmosphere created in the first part is excellent.

neil.

Thanks very much for listening and commenting, Neil. Glad you enjoyed it :)

seismic1 wrote: My main goal here was to make the piano part slightly more prominent during the final section. I hope I was at least partially successful :)
I can confirm that the piano is a bit more audible during the final section.

I'm still startled when that lead synth enters in the final section. It certainly provides a contrast. :)

I'm hard-pressed to consider it a dirge, but maybe. I think a kind of melancholy meditation. I love that wonderful gradual build through the whole piece that you've achieved, the result feels unified / consistent but never dull. Good stuff.

DaveL
You can twist perceptions, reality won't budge.
-- Rush Show Don't Tell

wavephonic wrote:thats a cool dark piano line and I liked the echoey synth stab too. great finish, I could hear a sustainy git solo fitting in at the end too
Thanks for listening and commenting, wavephonic. Glad you liked it :)

I plan to record something on the guitar later this year, although probably not a conventional solo :-o

Return to “Music Cafe”