Guitar/Indie'ish sort of tune

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

About every year or two I manage to almost finish something. I think it's so long between that I forget everything I learn. The song below is sort of indie'ish guitar driven thing (I think) and this time for some reason even though the mix sounds good in phones and also on monitors it's not so good elsewhere so 1) Any mix advice appreciated, 2) comments on the song appreciated too (even the bad ones)... thx!

https://soundcloud.com/404missing404
Last edited by chrisby on Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:07 am, edited 4 times in total.

Nice one!
What guitar and amp are you using?

Cheers, Pady

Sounds fine here on a MID-FI system :)
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

Pädy wrote:Nice one!
What guitar and amp are you using?

Cheers, Pady
Thanks... Three guitars actually. A strat for the heavy guitar through Revalver, a epi lp through an amplitibe Marshall forcthe crunch, and a squier jag through an amplitube Fender for the bright guitar. Thanks again for checking it out and the comments...

folderol wrote:Sounds fine here on a MID-FI system :)
Thanks... It's weird, it seems to have a lot more variance than anything I did before. Just tried it on my tablet speakers and it's okay actually except the vocals stick way out (which isn't really a great thing).

It sounds pretty good here on my monitors. I'll try to give it another listen on the HiFi at the weekend. I liked the different guitar tones. Nice song too.

Good work :)

seismic1 wrote:It sounds pretty good here on my monitors. I'll try to give it another listen on the HiFi at the weekend. I liked the different guitar tones. Nice song too.

Good work :)
Thanks! Yeah, this post got stuck un-editable during the lockdown over the holidays so I've since made a few changes that hopefully cleaned it up a bit based on some other input received. I will probably give it one more go over the weekend and try to get a little more stereo spread in the guitars though.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to listen/comment!

Listening on iPad speakers and I would agree vocals are a bit prominent; not terribly so but if it was my tune and voice I'd dial them back a tad. Bass seems to be buried a bit, it could use being carved out a bit or dialed up a bit.
Regards, Mike

mn wrote:Listening on iPad speakers and I would agree vocals are a bit prominent; not terribly so but if it was my tune and voice I'd dial them back a tad. Bass seems to be buried a bit, it could use being carved out a bit or dialed up a bit.
Yep, I forgot about that as I guess I just got used to it as it is and haven't listened on my tab since my original post. Thanks for the reminder as the chorus can definitely come down across the board. The bass is actually fairly prominent on all my other systems (I think) but has a lot of pretty low end that probably wouldn't show on the smallest speakers.

Again, thanks for the input!

Post-forumFreezeBumper

The bandpassed vocals sound pretty nice, the guitar is a bit harsh, IMO. I didn't have a problem with hearing the bass...

Tricky-Loops wrote:The bandpassed vocals sound pretty nice, the guitar is a bit harsh, IMO. I didn't have a problem with hearing the bass...

I should have mentioned I have remixed a bit from the original post. Thanks for the comments...

PS (if you see this) - I know crap about getting good guitar sounds (probably pretty obvious) but if you have suggestions on how to make them sound better that would be appreciated. Thx!
Last edited by chrisby on Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Listening to the song again, my impression is that there is a certain imbalance - too much midrange and high frequency (guitars, voice) and too less low frequency. Maybe a bit more bass and a bit less guitar distortion or/and some notch EQ adjustments could help.

Tricky-Loops wrote:Listening to the song again, my impression is that there is a certain imbalance - too much midrange and high frequency (guitars, voice) and too less low frequency. Maybe a bit more bass and a bit less guitar distortion or/and some notch EQ adjustments could help.

Thanks, and thank you for the input again. I assume the guitar/bass changes are on the individual tracks but by notch eq does that mean on the master bus?

chrisby wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:Listening to the song again, my impression is that there is a certain imbalance - too much midrange and high frequency (guitars, voice) and too less low frequency. Maybe a bit more bass and a bit less guitar distortion or/and some notch EQ adjustments could help.
Thanks, and thank you for the input again. I assume the guitar/bass changes are on the individual tracks but by notch eq does that mean on the master bus?
Notch EQ on the guitar tracks, not on the master bus... :wink:

Something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAJHNKroqL4

Return to “Music Cafe”