Outliers 2013 - HD on the youtube

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I reworked this late 2010 thing at some point. I'm making videos in the 1080 pixels vertical because I know that will force youtube to produce a 192kbps audio stream and I'm kind of just done with this more lossy stream pretty much everywhere else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzeN5Z4 ... Qb-R2F7fSF

I didn't love the original mix - it wasn't bad... it's a difficult object because of a couple things, it's really dissonant, you might say 'noisy', dense and there is a hyper focus on the soprano sax and a lot of reverb going on. Kind of a lot of gall involved in the choices.
So the e. guitar tone, I wanted to interfere with the main voice, the soprano as little as possible so the original mix has that as way back there.
I actually re-recorded the opening gestures. So the whole thing is something I felt I wasted tons of time on and chose to move on. But I think with a year+ of distance it's a pretty happening little object.

So someone might get off on this thing. it's set to keep going with the rest of playlist from this point.
It's pretty far off the beaten path. It's for a film narrative that I don't have the funds to make. A little bit Waiting for Godot vibe.
Last edited by jancivil on Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The guitar 0:24-0:32 reminds me of something Fripp might have played during the "Starless and Bible Black/Red" era. I love the bass at 1:18-1:28, shaking the room gently. A hint of the "Horrible Eye" bassline too a little later. Diggin' the spaced atmosphere.

Good work :)

That guitar bit is the main reason for bothering with this, it was just kind of lackluster. Well, there and the next thing you mention, kind of a metal band enters the picture for a moment and it was kind of hazy.

thanks
that rumble is Reaktor Steam Pipe.

I also redid the Hindustani percussion in the first section of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv8Qwpa ... Qb-R2F7fSF

as there was this one bar that always seemed incorrect. The middle section of this really exploits Steam Pipe.

Good to hear that one again :tu: I think this was the second jancivil piece that I heard back in 2011. Nice pipes.

Thanks.

I emphasized the beat more in this one 11/8 bar and another spot. Still pretty abstruse.
I like the 'Inside' section the most. I bet I was in a hurry to get to those ideas.

Return to “Music Cafe”