November Contest: Gossip

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm going to try to do reviews this month.
No longer a moderator.

Hello everybody ! I have a question:
- Concerning the trio, is a synth playing a cheapo drum line (kik and snare) while also playing chords/lead considered as one or 2 instrument ?
tx
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

First I thought EASY Drum Bass Guitar.

But then I thought , what if the bass-player used bass pedals and also played piano and organ, and the guitar player also played harmonica and switched between electric and acoustic guitars, and what if the drummer also played percussion/marimba/xylophone and triggered samples ?

And then I found this pic :

And now I'm confused :hihi:

Boone777 wrote:Hello everybody ! I have a question:
- Concerning the trio, is a synth playing a cheapo drum line (kik and snare) while also playing chords/lead considered as one or 2 instrument ?
tx
Hm. Either answer seems plausible. Since you asked, I guess I'll say 2.
No longer a moderator.

I would agree that the above should be seen as two. The way I'm looking at it is that the music should be able to be played live by a trio. I understand that a person on synths could technically trigger a million sounds/loops and for that matter so could anyone in the trio with a few pedals or a computer, but I think it's the restrictions that make this competition work.

Another way of putting it is: trio = 3 instruments.

Each synth patch counts as one instrument.

A standard drum kit is deemed to count as one single instrument.

Golden rule: less is more. Timbral limitation is what makes a trio an interesting challenge.

Ok thanks ! Yeager is that you in picture ?
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

Wopelka wrote:Another way of putting it is: trio = 3 instruments.
I think this is the way to go :phones:
Boone777 wrote:Ok thanks ! Yeager is that you in picture ?
Almost :hihi:

Wopelka wrote:Another way of putting it is: trio = 3 instruments.

Each synth patch counts as one instrument.

A standard drum kit is deemed to count as one single instrument.

Golden rule: less is more. Timbral limitation is what makes a trio an interesting challenge.

Weird counting each synth patch as a instrument to each patch or did i misunderstand?

Just the way I see it: one instrument = one timbre. For example, consider 3 instances of whatever synth you want, each with another patch: one bass, one pad, one lead, you are done, IMO.

Going to try and enter this month, for the first time in about a year and a half.

As a massive Rush fan and having seen them live several times :-

Neil Peart has a huge kit and triggers samples and has a xylophone and a cowbell... (technically it is two kits...)

Geddy Lee plays keyboards and uses bass pedals and sings all at the same time.

Alex Lifeson, plays guitars and triggers synths with his feet.

And you can't get more power trio than those three.

Thinking about it, I might actually use Neil's kit (I have the Sampletank 3 expansion).......

Edit.
Proviso:- If you have a synth and a set of bass pedals. Then as long as you play them both at the same time, that should count as one person! I don't own both, so won't be doing that...

I see a couple of options
One a real trio, like a violin trio, usually 3 voices, but with double stops would have 6 voices of polyphony. But if brass then only 3 voices of polyphony. If like a chamber trio of violin, cello and piano, you'd have the limitations of the strings and unless advante guard and using clusters no greater than 10 voices on the keyboard.

If a jazz combo with an organ, the organ could potentially have 11 or greater voices, 5 for each manual plus the bass pedals, then if there were guitar and vibes say, it could get wild.
A drum kit counts as one.

That's my 2 coins worth on the subject.

a friend of mine pointed out that the drum mix in my submission is out of balance. The kick is too mucho.
I think it's a result of two things; still not being accustomed to my new studio space and the monitor balance therein & the difficulty of mixing just three instruments - one of which is a drum set.
Kinda feel like withdrawing the submission this month but . . . I'm torn. It won't place highly in anyone's voting b/c the drum mix is annoying(to anyone not listening to my monitors here :=) but . . . I put the piece out there for a reason. I do this competition, as mentioned in an earlier thread, to have fun - not to win.
On the other hand, if anyone wants to hear my work, they can go to my soundcloud and dig there.
I dunno . . .
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Hi. I'm kinda "new" here. Just a few posts. I'm not sure if i'll enter yet, but i do have some questions...
Since the vocals don't have to be considered an "instrument", could aditional background vocals (2 max) follow the same rule? It would make sense since trios can and do have their instrumentalists singing at the same time.
About the voting, 20 posts minimum... So, i guess i'd have to start posting quickly before i can vote? :D

Cheers.

Mister Natural wrote:a friend of mine pointed out that the drum mix in my submission is out of balance. The kick is too mucho.
I think it's a result of two things; still not being accustomed to my new studio space and the monitor balance therein & the difficulty of mixing just three instruments - one of which is a drum set.
Kinda feel like withdrawing the submission this month but . . . I'm torn. It won't place highly in anyone's voting b/c the drum mix is annoying(to anyone not listening to my monitors here :=) but . . . I put the piece out there for a reason. I do this competition, as mentioned in an earlier thread, to have fun - not to win.
On the other hand, if anyone wants to hear my work, they can go to my soundcloud and dig there.
I dunno . . .
I think you should leave it in. Unless leaving it in would bug you so much that the fun of the contest is negated.
No longer a moderator.

Return to “Music Cafe”