January Contest: Gossip

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Okay, thanks. I'll try it from the library later.
No longer a moderator.

^Worked fine there. Just something with my home connection or browser settings, I guess.
No longer a moderator.

I am glad it works :) The easiest way is to upload to cloud (drive google/ dropbox) and just create direct download link, change the ending of the URL: dl=0 --> dl=1 and it should download directly.

Anyone looking for inspiration should check out http://phobialist.com/. I didn't realise there were so many things to be afraid of. The only thing I couldn't find was a fear of fear itself.....
Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so.

slartibartfast wrote:Anyone looking for inspiration should check out http://phobialist.com/. I didn't realise there were so many things to be afraid of. The only thing I couldn't find was a fear of fear itself.....
My fear of choice is probably "peniaphobia" (the fear of poverty).

Always bunch of clutter in the submission thread. So cleaning the submission thread would be nice.

Other thing: always a couple of track missing or not vorking in the voting page.

My main gripe is links to tracks that aren't actually contest submissions. Text doesn't really cause any confusion.

I don't think most--maybe any--of that is clutter. I did consider moving Nickel Smith's link to the top of his post, just because it seems like that is where the link should be, but then I thought: it's the only link in the post, it isn't hard to find.

On the missing tracks: as farlukar's page says, it is automated. So if people don't use a link it recognizes, no link will appear.

A possible solution: I could put a post in the submissions thread that has only the links.

This could be
a) a post immediately following the main submissions post, and I could try to keep it updated as the entries come in (this can't happen this month, because I don't think it is possible to put a post in a thread nonchronologically, but it could going forward), or
b) a post at the end of the thread once I've locked it, to be used more for the voting period.

Thoughts welcome.
No longer a moderator.

I don't think most--maybe any--of that is clutter. I did consider moving Nickel Smith's link to the top of his post, just because it seems like that is where the link should be, but then I thought: it's the only link in the post, it isn't hard to find.
I agree with you and I do not consider any of the other posts to be clutter. (It's not like there are a hundred to sort through.) And I appreciate very much that you did not adjust my post, the text of which is clearly not gossip or clutter, and is intentionally up front to set the stage for the music that follows. Thanks.

NEW year! OLD prizes :-(
Can we imagine that somewhere in the past Alchemy was in the prize list?
I'm sorry for this post, but I think people(me and some others) are not motivated enough to join the earlier contests.

mvrasseli wrote:NEW year! OLD prizes :-(
I'm sorry for this post, but I think people(me and some others) are not motivated enough to join the earlier contests.

I think the music festival contest is so fun with or without the prices, is just a nice bonus.

mvrasseli wrote:NEW year! OLD prizes :-(
I think the moderator has brought this up, but I imagine it's not easy to find someone willing to donate something every month. A suggestion: Prizes only every 6 or 12 months. 1 for the person who's got the most wins in the period, 1 prize to a winner picked through lottery among the top 5, and 1 prize by lottery among all who have entered the contest in at least 5 out of 6 or 10 out of 12 months. Lotteries could be weighted by points scored.

Seems to be easier to get prices to "One Synth Challenge" but i don't know why.

D.H. Miltz wrote:On the missing tracks: as farlukar's page says, it is automated. So if people don't use a link it recognizes, no link will appear.
It's been running mostly unattended since 2010, but it's just a simple script and not an artificial intelligence, so chances are it'll miss something.
The script looks for links ending in .mp3 or .ogg, plus a few regularly-used file hosts. I've added google drive now.

Also,
Hellfog wrote:I think the music festival contest is so fun with or without the prices, is just a nice bonus.
this.

Hellfog wrote:I think the music festival contest is so fun with or without the prices, is just a nice bonus.
100% agreed
:tu:

Return to “Music Cafe”