Refraktor (ElectroProg - Seismic Deformation)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

seismic1 wrote:
Frantz wrote:This is a wonderful track. On listen #9 now according to my MP3 player. It builds slowly at first with some dissonant chords adding to the tension. Perhaps I've got Bowie on the brain* in light of recent news but I'm getting pleasant hints of Warszawa at 5:43. Any Chamberlin sounds or is this all Mellotron? There is real excitement, like the first flashes of lightning before a storm, when the sequencers threaten to kick in at 7:17. Fantastic work at 12:12 when the sequencers quiet down for a moment to give the Mellotron choir room to sing. There are really too many highlights to mention.

The mix is perfect. Great job! :tu:

* When Bowie moved to Berlin, he met with Edgar several times to help him get situated and probably to find out about synthesizers. Bowie was a big fan of "Epsilon in Malaysian Pale."
listen #9 :o That's dedication right there :D

Dissonance is kinda interesting. I love a good melody, but I just can't seem to resist slipping these oddball harmonies into pieces recently. It seems to work fairly well with quasi-ambient stylings. Maybe I'll try throwing some of this into some of my more techno-oriented stuff. It may be worth a try.

This was written before the sad news about David Bowie, but Warszawa is one of those tracks I can never get enough of. All of these sounds are 'tron samples from RedTron_SE, which I can't praise highly enough. The realism is staggering, right down to the sound of the heads hitting the tapes.

This sequencing lark is good fun. I'm just using one arp on here and using the note-lengths to provide variation of the sequences.

The law of averages helped me out at 12:12. Make a track long enough and something like that is bound to happen eventually :wink:

I think I recall reading an interview with Froese in Melody Maker in the late '70s where he talked about Bowie in Berlin.

Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment, Frantz. It is much appreciated, and I'm glad you liked it :tu:
I think it was stravinsky as well as 12 tone piano music that made me appreciate dissonance, but it was the good old TD that made me really appreciate the arp... :)
Thanks again for the reminder! :)

I couldn't remember if I'd posted here, or only over 'there'. Anyway, I'm back for another listen.
Really first class work. Totally suck you in.
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

Well done tribute. Nice composition and arrangement. Sounds good

PatchAdamz wrote:
seismic1 wrote:
Frantz wrote:This is a wonderful track. On listen #9 now according to my MP3 player. It builds slowly at first with some dissonant chords adding to the tension. Perhaps I've got Bowie on the brain* in light of recent news but I'm getting pleasant hints of Warszawa at 5:43. Any Chamberlin sounds or is this all Mellotron? There is real excitement, like the first flashes of lightning before a storm, when the sequencers threaten to kick in at 7:17. Fantastic work at 12:12 when the sequencers quiet down for a moment to give the Mellotron choir room to sing. There are really too many highlights to mention.

The mix is perfect. Great job! :tu:

* When Bowie moved to Berlin, he met with Edgar several times to help him get situated and probably to find out about synthesizers. Bowie was a big fan of "Epsilon in Malaysian Pale."
listen #9 :o That's dedication right there :D

Dissonance is kinda interesting. I love a good melody, but I just can't seem to resist slipping these oddball harmonies into pieces recently. It seems to work fairly well with quasi-ambient stylings. Maybe I'll try throwing some of this into some of my more techno-oriented stuff. It may be worth a try.

This was written before the sad news about David Bowie, but Warszawa is one of those tracks I can never get enough of. All of these sounds are 'tron samples from RedTron_SE, which I can't praise highly enough. The realism is staggering, right down to the sound of the heads hitting the tapes.

This sequencing lark is good fun. I'm just using one arp on here and using the note-lengths to provide variation of the sequences.

The law of averages helped me out at 12:12. Make a track long enough and something like that is bound to happen eventually :wink:

I think I recall reading an interview with Froese in Melody Maker in the late '70s where he talked about Bowie in Berlin.

Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment, Frantz. It is much appreciated, and I'm glad you liked it :tu:
I think it was stravinsky as well as 12 tone piano music that made me appreciate dissonance, but it was the good old TD that made me really appreciate the arp... :)
Thanks again for the reminder! :)
Speaking for myself,

arps: TD - nobody does them better, although I think their earlier work shows them off to greatest effect.

dissonance: again TD (earlier albums), Ligeti, Crimson, and Stravinsky

Wow, that was a long song yet you managed to keep interest up til the end. Mix was balanced imo. Great job!

Love this track more every listen!

Not just worthy of a place on Stratosfear (as I said on Soundcloud)... I think it would actually be one of the standout tracks!

Lovely, lovely piece. The beginning is blissful, somber, contemplative.Very cool turn around 3:10. Then the energy picks up and things become a bit more upbeat but still quite understated. Then things keep building to the end. The tune really takes you on quite a journey. I dug everything about this tune - the sounds, mournful melodies, the mix, the vibe. Great piece.

Really enjoying this one as well and pretty much agree with most of what is posted above. Reminiscent of some of the best parts of TG (Phaedra still being my all time favourite album).
Last edited by FaX on Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Links to other media sites and contact details are available at the bottom of my artists website.

http://venndiagram.ca

folderol wrote:I couldn't remember if I'd posted here, or only over 'there'. Anyway, I'm back for another listen.
Really first class work. Totally suck you in.
Thanks very much for taking another listen and commenting, folderol. I'm very glad you're still enjoying this :D

markkuja wrote:Well done tribute. Nice composition and arrangement. Sounds good
Thanks very much for listening and for the lovely comments, markkuja. Glad you liked it :)

Hezekiel wrote:Wow, that was a long song yet you managed to keep interest up til the end. Mix was balanced imo. Great job!
"long song" - you got that right. This is the longest piece I ever made, but I don't think I'll be making another piece of this length in the near future. This was a "one-off" written for a specific purpose. Whilst I was making this (10 weeks from October to December 2015), things were a bit crazy at work, so I was working on this in 30-odd minute blocks whenever I could grab a moment. It's not an ideal way to work, but I think it may have worked to my advantage here, as it allowed be to play around with the sequenced arp section, trialing various permutations and orderings before settling on the final form of the piece.

Thanks very much for listening , and for the comments, Hezekiel. Glad you liked it :)

ChamMusic wrote:Love this track more every listen!

Not just worthy of a place on Stratosfear (as I said on Soundcloud)... I think it would actually be one of the standout tracks!
Thanks very much for listening (more than once, which was unexpected, given the length of this piece), and for the fantastic, if undeserved comments. Glad you enjoyed it :D

ecamburn wrote:Lovely, lovely piece. The beginning is blissful, somber, contemplative.Very cool turn around 3:10. Then the energy picks up and things become a bit more upbeat but still quite understated. Then things keep building to the end. The tune really takes you on quite a journey. I dug everything about this tune - the sounds, mournful melodies, the mix, the vibe. Great piece.
Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and for the thoughtful comments, ecamburn. Glad you enjoyed it, and welcome back. Long time, no see :)

I had this on repeat today while working. It holds up very well to repeated listens. :phones:

really love this..got some nice dark elements mixed with some schizophrenic stuff going on.love the "on the run" arp.
Beautiful track,great work Sir :tu:
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

Return to “Music Cafe”