My first arrangement - what should be improved first?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have finished my first song, including melody and arrangement. Music and arrangement are a bit strange, but I am more or less satisfied with them. The first thing that doesn't satisfy me is the quality of sound. Some guys told me that the only thing to make good sound is to record real instruments and midi have no chance, but I want to try. Concerning midi-instruments, their recording, effects, mixing, etc, what should be improved first? I am not talking about vocal, here is only a draft version of it.

Thanks in advance.

https://soundcloud.com/noaccess-2/paranoical
Last edited by NoAccess on Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

I really enjoyed that. I think the tip about real instruments is probably a good one with this sort of music. Real players can bring a "feel" to a song. Maybe push the tempo up a little?

Maybe I posted this topic to the wrong part of forum, and sound design would be more appropriate?

Music Cafe, more like, if you want opinions on your music/arrangements/mixing etc.

Ok, had a listen. Not my cup of tea, even so, I found the vocal so loud I couldn't really make much of the backing.
Quirky song, what style is it supposed to be?
9/10 for originality.

As far as MIDI entry goes, randomise note positions, modulate volume/note velocities where appropriate, experiment with tempo (speed up, slow down) and so on. All in small doses, of course.
Mixing is a matter of taste and experience. Sound On Sound is a good resource.
:tu:

Track improved by sound engineers and after studio vocal recording:
https://soundcloud.com/ash-991288300/ash-6

NoAccess wrote:I have finished my first song, including melody and arrangement. Music and arrangement are a bit strange, but I am more or less satisfied with them. The first thing that doesn't satisfy me is the quality of sound. Some guys told me that the only thing to make good sound is to record real instruments and midi have no chance, but I want to try. Concerning midi-instruments, their recording, effects, mixing, etc, what should be improved first? I am not talking about vocal, here is only a draft version of it.

Thanks in advance.

https://soundcloud.com/noaccess-2/paranoical
For this type of music, live instruments could indeed be better. Though if you don't have/don't know how to play... Well, man has to work with tools he has ;)

I liked melody and arrangement, at least you do better than I am :D

IMO you can do great stuff with midi only, but it requires a lot more work to make it "alive".

From zero to hero in less then three month! :D
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Return to “Music Cafe”