An Ill Wind (ElectroProg - Seismic Happenstance)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I had been working on this for a couple of weeks and completed it last night, hours before the strongest winds of the year (to date) hit the South of England. A couple of recent acquisitions making their first appearance on a Whatsisname track which featured some funky routing.

EDIT:20221231 mp3 link deleted

sonically suspended, as if by magic

https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/an-ill-wind

Instruments and Imagery

recorded/mixed and pre-mastered in EnergyXT2.7 - Mastered in T-Racks 3

Z3ta+2
Axon
Rapture
Drumatic4
Dune
KickLab XXL
EnergyXT Drum Samples
Breeze
Glitch2
Replicant
Blue Cat Gain
CSR
IK Vintage Compressor 670
Satin
T-Racks Linear Phase EQ
T-Racks Opto Compressor
T-Racks Vintage Equalizer
T-Racks Brickwall Limiter

DR - 13

EDIT:20230113

I remixed and mastered this in June 2022, making only minor changes to the levelling, panning and EQ.

https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/an-i ... ks5-master

Recorded and mixed in EnergyXT 2.7
Mastered in T-Racks 5

Z3ta+2
Axon
Rapture
Drumatic4
Dune
KickLab XXL
EnergyXT Drum Sampler
Breeze
Glitch2
Replicant
Blue Cat Gain
CSR
IK Vintage Compressor 670
Satin
T-Racks Linear Phase EQ
T-Racks Opto Compressor
T-Racks Vintage Equalizer
T-Racks Brickwall Limiter

DR - 14
Last edited by seismic1 on Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.

I love the atmosphere and feeling in this track. Well done!
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

I like the fx on this one. I do feel the electric part comes a bit soon before the mood has been established. Or rather, I thought the introduction pads were the 'main course' but turned out it was merely the apetizer. Didnt expect that!

So, what do the electronic sounds stand for? The wind is obvious ;-)

Ps, how do you generate a good wind sound?

ATN69 wrote:I love the atmosphere and feeling in this track. Well done!
Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment, ATN69. Glad you liked it :)

As you can probably imagine, the "wind" effect was the inspiration for this track. Everything else on here followed on from that idea.

Nice start, great change...
Really like the bit where it first builds, there are subtle sounds and intervening sounds to startle.... :)
Like all good storms there is a build and release before another climax! :tu:
Lovely pads...
Great track Tim!
:)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Interesting track ... nice soundscape .... hovering and whirling in the wind

Jesse Gorter wrote:I like the fx on this one. I do feel the electric part comes a bit soon before the mood has been established. Or rather, I thought the introduction pads were the 'main course' but turned out it was merely the apetizer. Didnt expect that!
I like to keep you guessing :)
Jesse Gorter wrote: So, what do the electronic sounds stand for? The wind is obvious ;-)
The glitch sounds on here were meant to represent disruption/damage, broken power cables, that sort of thing.
Jesse Gorter wrote: Ps, how do you generate a good wind sound?

In the context of this track, the wind sound was made using one of the z3ta+2 factory patches :wink:

Thanks very much for listening and commenting, Jesse. I hope you enjoyed it :)

A solid piece that would work well as a soundtrack for a suspense film. The sound design and mix are both good. Perhaps the drums are a bit loud compared to the softer synths. I think I recognize some of the Replicant effects since I use that plugin often.

The structure of the piece is a bit unconvential. I guess it ebbs and flows like the weather. The slow motion melody is good but perhaps could be developed or varied some more.

Good stuff. :tu:

great glitchy atmosphere! the intro was a little long for my taste, anticipation is good, but please dont torture me when the piece is so sonically juicy! :hyper: because when 6:18 came around i was really grooving to it.

excellent sounds and mix :tu: :phones:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Allomerus wrote:Nice start, great change...
Really like the bit where it first builds, there are subtle sounds and intervening sounds to startle.... :)
Like all good storms there is a build and release before another climax! :tu:
Lovely pads...
Great track Tim!
:)
Thanks very much for listening and commenting, John. Glad you liked it :)

there are a few interactions going on between the sounds on here, with the morphing wind/bass synth and the pulsing machine-like synth. I think the Dune pads are probably the highlights.

Really cool track. The music flows with the wind sound, like the earth is an angry monster ready to consume us all. :o
Man it's been windy here too (Kansas, USA).

listening again while not wired on caffine. i think i'm enjoying the length of the intro this time around :hihi:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

markkuja wrote:Interesting track ... nice soundscape .... hovering and whirling in the wind
Thanks for the listen and comments, markkuja. Glad you liked it :)

Hopefully the weather will settle down for a while.

Great sounds and composition, as always!
Thanks for sharing. :)

Nice. Unconventional structure and some eerie atmospherics. It's sparse in places (sometimes too sparse?) but still manages to hold my attention as I keep wondering what's round the corner. I like mood change in the last section that brings some light to the melancholy.. Interesting stuff Tim. You're definitely doing your own thing! :-)

Return to “Music Cafe”