October Contest: Gossip

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

slartibartfast wrote:Time permitting, you will see something from me this month (and I expect it will be in the bottom half of the scoring, as usual!)
That's OK, just as long as you don't get below me. I'm getting quite used to being the last one or two - thinking of furnishing the place :lol:
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

Based on some of the comments on this thread, I have to conclude that they have never heard good meditative music. It is probably not their fault because there is so much bad meditative music. The good stuff is not just bland music operating like a pink noise generator. Good meditative music facilitates the individual's ability to get into a meditative state. It helps guide the person through the meditative session. Then it gently leads the listener back to their normal state. If you don't understand meditation, chances are your tracks will reflect that.
This space has been unintentionally left blank.

JJBiener wrote:Based on some of the comments on this thread, I have to conclude that they have never heard good meditative music. It is probably not their fault because there is so much bad meditative music. The good stuff is not just bland music operating like a pink noise generator. Good meditative music facilitates the individual's ability to get into a meditative state. It helps guide the person through the meditative session. Then it gently leads the listener back to their normal state. If you don't understand meditation, chances are your tracks will reflect that.
Like skipscada, my meditative experience is almost zero. I have been known to fall asleep to Bon Iver, though!
Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so.

JJBiener wrote:Based on some of the comments on this thread, I have to conclude that they have never heard good meditative music. It is probably not their fault because there is so much bad meditative music. The good stuff is not just bland music operating like a pink noise generator. Good meditative music facilitates the individual's ability to get into a meditative state. It helps guide the person through the meditative session. Then it gently leads the listener back to their normal state. If you don't understand meditation, chances are your tracks will reflect that.
I'm always willing to learn, so one example of good meditative music and a one-line description of what meditaiton means to you would make the me that goes to bed today a more enlightened person than the me who just got up.

rachmiel wrote:The days of channel surfing are long gone for me ... unless you count scrolling through saved DVR shows surfing.
The only person I know who channel surfs is my dad. I don't have a TV and didn't channels surf when I had one. I sometimes watch a clip or two online (interviews, music videos), binge-watch comedies on my laptop (revisiting Arrested Development right now) and take a lucky dip at the local artsy cinema if I want to see a movie.
rachmiel wrote:Speaking of which, does anyone still say "surfing the web?" I say that to my students sometimes and they look at me like I'm unspeakably ancient or charmingly retro ... depending on the student. :o
Even in the web's infancy that expression sounded embarrassing.

@rachmiel
I feel you are trying to tell us something important, but having difficulty organising your thoughts clearly :ud: :hug:
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

Sorry, no hilarious gif from me. The agenda is filling up fast, so I submitted a quick guitar semi-improv. Exceeded the 3-minute non-limit by a second. Gotta live a little. Hope to find the time to write reviews.

I still haven't made a start on my entry. Need to extract the digit :wink:

Have you all fallen asleep? No gossip, no submissions in a week ...

Kicked back and tried to get into a mediative mood with the submissions so far. Here's my impression::

ablaut - vintage meditation
I was worried about turning up the volume too loud for this one, in case there were sudden bursts. Soundcloud displays the waveform, and there were some worrying peaks. As a result, I kept hearing my neighbour talking on the phone, and although I've recently installed a new and very quiet PSU in my PC, it became part of this aural experience. The blips on the waveform turned out to be nothing. This is very deep, too deep for me, and I failed to reach a higher level of consciousness.

donkey tugger - meditate
Bob Mould meets Talk Talk and the little drummer boy. Snare too busy and there's something uneven about the mix here and there, but otherwise great pop.

ClaRago - Stairway to Akanishtha
Plenty of space and swirly sounds to drift away on, but the busy arrangement and plastic reed sounds keep it grounded. Interesting progressions and little melodies. Didn't expect that beer rock final part.

ballacr75 - light
Vangelis sounds have a meditative potential, but I'm not sure about that 4/4 kick and the pumping. The kick is suitably woolly, though. Pretty standard progression. Indistinct ending, which is odd, since the 3-minute rule is out this month.

Laguna Rising - Chakra Clearing on a Spaceship
Amazing stuff. This sounds like taking a particularly rough brain scan ... under the sun ... on a beach ... on another planet ... and feeling that something's coming loose deep inside my head ... and it's alright ... forever.

Skipscada, thanks for the reviews .
Beer + Rock = Nirvana

ClaRago wrote:Beer + Rock = Nirvana
:lol: My kind of meditation.

I'm in.
One of those 2am inspirations :) :party:
Last edited by folderol on Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Music Cafe”