an appeal for composers to use ID3 tags all the time

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just a mini rant. :oops:

I have an "orphan" mp3 folder on my music drive. There are many tracks in it by KVR composers who didn't bother to tag their music so that I can see who you are, etc. This sucks.

I download a lot more from the Cafe than I take the time to comment on because I'm in a hurry. My life is full of crap, and there's often not time to write a thoughtful response right then and there. I get to hear the track later in the week when there's more time, and if I can't identify who wrote it, guess what? Silence on the comments, etc.

Anyway, it'd be great to follow up on your works and seek out new stuff, perhaps even buying something from you or referring others to your stuff, but without an ID3 tag, your music is a ghost that may or may not get heard again. And for heaven's sake, if you have a website, put that in the ID3 tag. :(

but Shane what if you're like me and don't know how to tag?

CypherOne wrote:but Shane what if you're like me and don't know how to tag?
You pulling my leg? :)

If not, then one way to overcome the hassle is to download WinAmp. Then all you have to do is drag and drop your freshly created mp3 file into the playlist and then press ALT-3. The box that pops up tells you everything that you can add to the file. It also has the "Update" button. Press that and it will write the ID3 tag into the file. Just be sure you aren't playing the file while updating it, as this can crash WinAmp.

Sh@ne S@nders wrote:

If not, then one way to overcome the hassle is to download WinAmp. Then all you have to do is drag and drop your freshly created mp3 file into the playlist and then press ALT-3. The box that pops up tells you everything that you can add to the file. It also has the "Update" button. Press that and it will write the ID3 tag into the file. Just be sure you aren't playing the file while updating it, as this can crash WinAmp.
nope, deadly serious. I've only just worked out how to use the toaster.

Sh@ne S@nders wrote:

dammit, i never knew winamp could do that. i've always just used it as a player. cool, thanks shane.

lates

t-willy

Yeah, a big hate of mine. I DL quite a few tracks that arent tagged, so i figure, if you cant be arsed to tag it, i cant be arsed to trawl thru the thread guessing who made the track. No tag, no comments :wink:

ah, that seems nice too, little downloading going on when i get home.....

lates

t-willy

my choice:

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/audio/tagm.htm

Shane, i always tag my songs... so i can expect a comment soon? :D :hyper:

Wopelka wrote:my choice:

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/audio/tagm.htm

Shane, i always tag my songs... so i can expect a comment soon? :D :hyper:
Have I never commented on your stuff? I'm surprised. I really like your music, and have downloaded a lot of it. I was sure I had said something about the Nuit stuff some time ago, but maybe I just meant to do it! :) Procrastination is like an old friend to me. :oops:

Shane,

sorry i was just bitching, kidding... :oops: :D

yes you did comment - and even if it wasn't the case, you do what you want.

just forget my previous post, i just deserve a good :smack:

I didn't know how to tag until yesterday when I had to work it out to ente a piece in the competition. But the rest of my stuff isn't tagged - never even thought of it before and didn't really know what it was.

I'll try that analogx thingy - thanks Wopelka.

I use tagm too--very easy. Be aware that it loads all your mp3s, so the main window might not show the one you actually want until you scroll down. I'm stupid, so it took me a minute or two to figure out what I was looking for was there, just not showing. Raise your hand if you stare blankly at the screen for a long time each time you try something new...like me.

Tom :nutter:

Great idea for a topic!

I hate untagged tunes too, although I normally comment on a song immidiately after downloading it, but later on if a song I like remains in my playlist, I never remember who did it because I don´t see the name there right in front of me.
I agree on using winamp for it if you´re already using it for playing, but normally I do it when saving to mp3 from wavelab after mastering.
Best Regards

Roman Empire

Time to repeat my frustration! lol

Return to “Music Cafe”