December Contest: Voting

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Vote for your Top 10 favorite compositions, in order (most-favorite = #1, proceed downward). Please include at least the username of the composer (not just the composition name). This helps as I tally me some votes.

Voting ends on early a.m. (US Central Time), Sunday, January 1st. It may be just a little while after that for me to tally the votes before the results threads appears.

No voting for yourself. Voters must have had 20 prior posts, or at least have participated in the contest this month.

Once you place your vote, you cannot change it, unless permission has been granted by the moderator.

In the case of equal scores after voting, entries will be separated by how many 10 pts (i.e., how many #1 votes) they got, then 9 pts and so on.

A useful link (but please note the caution at the bottom of the page) :
http://farlukar.x10.mx/kvrcontest/

Thanks and good luck!

-V
GLHF! (Gandalf Lives, Hobbits Forever!)

Without further ado;

Erictracks - Like bastard son of Lynnrd Skynnrd and The Beatles. Turn up the drums a bit next time please! Excellent.

Mister Natural - Great chilled out and imaginative stuff

Beanpole - Great catchy chorus and nice ironic counterpoint to the gloomy verses

David Stiles - Mighty ambitious, let down a bit by the drums, but the audacity of the composition wins out

Skipscada - definitely channeling 'the Noel', being from the blue side of Manchestoh, I approve

Jazzaria - Mental, but fun

sfiks - Lovely duet piece

Rifftrax - some great technical editing and programming. Impressive but never really seems to take off for me, but..impressive.

Bluerobot - Lovely sound to this, if a little meandering for me.

Laguna Rising - Bonkers festive fayre.

I must say there was some good stuff this month for my money.

I like this voting system better than OSC.

folderol - intelligent piece, harmonically interesting with attention to details
Yeager - pleasant mood, smart mix, clever bass
Mister Natural - respect for a lot of editing
erictracks - good voice/accompaniment balance, pleasant solos
beanpole - song has its own character, voice intonation is not always good
rifftrax - a lot of details, good sounds and mix
davidstiles - it's difficult to combine these types of instruments
ClaRago - desperate for something original with too many simultaneous parts
Jazzaria - inventive ideas with mix not to my taste
bluerobot - there is no development, still I can listen to it :)

lots of frickin' cool stuff this month fellas - tough to rank as there are as many different flavors to your work as there are contestants
1. Jazzaria - Hilarious and huge production with an adorable trombone counterpoint. The harpsichord cracks me up !
2. davidstiles - Mad respect(as always) for your orchestral paintings. This one surprises as I'm not at all certain of where you're going next.
3. donkey tugger - Love your song-sensibility. As if there is a sense of urgency in every instrument here. When you jump to the next octave with the vocal line; totally impressive sense of place in the song
4. erictracks - More like the bastard son of Led Zepp and Beck. Great syncopation. Nice recording of your Fenders
5. Laguna Rising - Big fat carnival of dissonance. Very nice production values
6. rifftrax - I really like the way this one swings. It doesn't sound "lazy" in any way. I think the slow-faded part at the end would have made a terrific "C" section
7. Yeager - This takes me to a very interesting place. Love the instruments chosen here
8. sficks - Very, very nice chops. Very pretty composition
9. folderol - lovely atmospherics that seem very fitting for the season
10. skipscada - this one grows on me the more I listen to it

peace
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

01 - ClaRago - Father Xmas Funky Boots
02 - Folderol - The Ice Queens Palace
03 - Skipscada - Let's Never Get Serious Again
04 - Mr.Natural - Determined Against Rain
05 - davidstiles - Requiem For 2016
06 - donkey tugger - motorways
07 - Hellfog - World of paradise
08 - BlueRobot - Space Drifter
09 - Yeager - Five Quarters and Two Cords
10 - erictracks - soulless paradise

Well done, everyone! Tough decisions as always. :party:

01 // erictracks // soulless paradise
02 // davidstiles // Requiem For 2016
03 // ClaRago // Father Xmas Funky Boots
04 // Hellfog // World of paradise
05 // Yeager // Five Quarters and Two Cords
06 // Jazzaria // Tempered Monkeys
07 // sficks // a poco
08 // donkey tugger // motorways
09 // Skipscada // Let's Never Get Serious Again
10 // Laguna Rising // No Fun Below Freezing

Nice to see the submission numbers slowly creeping up, even though it makes voting that much harder. However, after much indecision here are my definitive votes... maybe :lol:

1 Yeager Five Quarters and Two Cords

2 BlueRobot SpaceDrifter

3 Jazzaria TemperedMonkeys

4 ClaRago Father Xmas Funky Boots

5 davidstiles RequiemFor2016

6 LagunaRising NoFunBelowFreezing

7 beanpole Xmas Dichotomy

8 erictracks soullessparadise

9 Skipscada Let's Never Get Serious Again

10 sfiks apoco
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

Erictracks -Soulless Paradise
Donkeytugger - Motorways
Davidstiles - Requiem for 2016
Laguna Rising - No Fun Below Freezing
Yeager - Five Quarters and 2 Cords
Mr Natural- Determined Against Rain
Folderol- The Ice Queen 's Palace
Jazzaria - Tempered Monkeys
Skipscada - Let's Never Get Serious Again
Bluerobot - Space Drifter

All the best to all of the contestants and DrApostropheX for the year to come.

'fun to make' is a perfectly good qualifier, right? Imagine enforcing a 'fun' sound? yes kidz bop.

1. donkey tugger - killer track with the depth of Gabriel, and a brilliant chorus. 40 million plugins I know this situation. Put to good use, too. I like the vocal delays and all the sonic activity happening

2. Skipscada - this came out cooler than you think, I think

3. beanpole - contrasty. driven. wry. yes to the little pickup beat after the chorus

4. Hellfog - underpin a dark retro Netflix series with this one

5. ClaRago - I dig the evolving nature and the smooth octave waka

6. Mister Natural - refined melody and interesting vocal effected melancholy. funancholy

7. bluerobot - dramatic washes of sound work for me. that collection must be something else

8. Jazzaria - that's a heavy harpsichord. really entertaining composition

9. davidstiles - impressive and skillfully done. soaring melodies devolving into angry buzzing strings

10. sfiks - nice anticipation and payoff of your changes

honorable mentions no particular order:

Laguna Rising - this evoked a carnival ride or something similar. but a cool one

Rifftrax - appreciate the rhythmic complexity and sound choice

folderol - so much sheen and the chords are beautiful

Yeager - bass line wants to be one of those memorable, iconic ones. icy cool.

1. Donkey Tugger
2. Mr. Natural
3. EricTracks
4. Laguna Rising
5. Jazzaria
6. Clarago
7. Beanpole
8. Rifftrax
9. Yeager
10. Bluerobot

skipscada
donkey tugger
erictracks
Hellfog
Yeager
davidstiles
ClaRago
bluerobot
folderol
rifftrax
can't sing, can't play, looks awful.....

01-Donkey Tugger
02-Hellfog
03-sfiks
04-davidstiles
05-Mister Natural
06-erictracks
07-skipscada
08-Jazzaria
09-ClaRago
10-folderol

Wow! Great work all around, and I enjoyed every track. It was hard to put them in any order. But here's my ranking:

1) Jazzaria - Tempered Monkeys - Very creative and amusing, executed skillfully with a great sense of momentum.

2) bluerobot – Space Drifter – Airy and atmospheric, conveys the mood brilliantly.

3) sfiks – a poco – Lovely, gentle guitar and mournful flugelhorn. A very pleasant listen.

4) donkey tugger – Motorways – Piano-driven songs like this one are definitely to my taste. Good work with the vocals, too.

5) ClaRago – Father Xmas Funky Boots – I really like the Ho! Ho! Ho! at the beginning. And you manage to make several different emotional tones coexist in this track, which is impressive.

6) erictracks – Soulless Paradise – Great rock vibe here, and nice performance on guitar.

7) Laguna Rising – No Fun Below Freezing – I like the fun, carnivalesque feeling of this track. And congrats on 10 years in the contest!

8) beanpole – Xmas Dichotomy – Great song. I think the lyrics capture how I feel this particular year quite nicely.

9) Mister Natural – Determined Against Rain – Nicely crafted song, and I liked the vocal performance.

10) Yeager – Five Quarters and Two Cords – Immediately likable bass beats, and I like where you go from there with the keyboards, as well as the sparser bongo interlude.

Honorable Mention (In no particular order):

rifftrax – Twisted – Some nice beats in here, and I like the rather ethereal fadeout.

Hellfog – World of Paradise – Good intensity, I like the siren sounds, but the last part seems weaker than the rest of it.

skipscada – Let’s Never Get Serious Again – I like the composition, but the vocals don’t seem to be mixed right – they sound like they are taking place in a completely different space at times.

folderol – The Ice Queen’s Palace – Definitely moody and evocative of the title, with some nice melodic lines.

Jazzaria Tempered Monkeys
bluerobotmusic Space Drifter
folderol The Ice Queen's Palace
Yeager Five Quarters and Two Cords
sfiks a poco
Laguna Rising No Fun Below Freezing
ClaRago Father Xmas Funky Boots
davidstiles Requiem for 2016
erictracks Soulless Paradise
skipscada Let's Never Get Serious Again

01. davidstiles - Requiem for 2016
02. Laguna Rising - No Fun Below Freezing