A piece influenced by Timba Cubana

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all, here's a latin jazz piece influenced by the salsa style Timba Cubana. Jamstix was used for the drum part, and the iOS app AfroLatin DM was used for the conga part. The other instruments are VSTs by Sample Modeling, Indiginus, and Kontakt. Feedback is welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70IyyhQltk8

It sounds pretty good as a latin jazz tune. It might need a little polishing but I'm not real familiar with the plugins so just takin'. I'm probably comparing it with a cut using real instruments I guess.

My friend Carolina, the dancing fool , would enjoyed cutting up a salsa to this. :party:

I don't know where you're coming from but you could always get experimental using some different sounds and bend things a little. :ud:

Thanks for the comment. I actually composed the piece for a friend and dance partner of my own. I've been a salsa dancer for a long time but am just now learning in depth how the music is put together.

The main riff sounds good. I think you got the feel of the style down well, although I don't know much about it. The electric guitar lead sounds a little artificial; I think this is because of the lack of vibrato or bends or hammer-ons for most of the piece. Also, the brass sounds out of time to me. Overall, though, a fairly ambitious undertaking that I think turned out well

@nineofkings

Thanks for listening and for the constructive criticism. The electric guitar sounds were two unaltered patches from the Kontakt 5 Factory Content. Next time I'll use a better sounding guitar. As for the brass, they're in metric time, but the problem might be that, especially in the second (higher) trumpet line and to some extent the trombone line, I blurred or even reversed the clave. I'm still very much a novice in cuban/salsa music and am still learning how the rhythms of the all the parts should fit together. More study and transcription to do. Thanks again for the comment.

Nicely put together tune, and given the tools you used, this turned out quite well IMO. I agree with @nineofking's comments about the guitar, especially the very first solo. It was pretty flat compared to the other instruments will all had a much more live feel to them.

Nice one.

Return to “Music Cafe”