DT - Fortune

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

what vst is the guitar?
im guessing one ping only?

seriously as always a cool track
i dont need to say anything else realy 8)

compositionwise and lyricwise your def. heading into a marvelous direction. I feel this to the bone

the mix (briliance / depth / dynamics / balance etcetera) is clear and smart as ever

woke up 1 hour ago and i read a gregory charlet comic while listening to this on loop .... realy a bewildering coctail of mood.

Ahh, cheers chaps! :oops:

Har, I like that, can you give it me as say a 192k mp3 file. I'll chop it up and use some of it in there I'll wager. :D

This for my taste is the best song of you I've heard in quite a while!
I do have some comments regarding the productional aspect though.
IMO the stringpad is too loud, which results in the acoustic/pure quality being muddled up. Next, the voice (at least in the end chorus, but maybe all throughout) could be louder.
Personally I would also prefer a bit tighter drumsound (not sure whether it's the kit or the mix tho), but after all it's somewhat OK.
Further, the bass could play some variations every now and then. Best would be using a real bass, I don't like this sound too much.

Finally, I know you will almost never do anything to existing (read: allready posted) songs anymore, so I guess it's hopeless to say anything more - BUT! Yes... but... In this case I could very well imagine the complete song being produced quite a bit different. And no, I don't mean to f*** up everything, I would pretty much keep the whole accustic guitar feeling and such, but I would use some modernized production techniques.
What about the occasional sound diving away in a feedback echo send (such as last words of a line)?
What about the pad sound morphing around a bit (or being slightly treated rhytmically for that matter), just rarely, but to make the pad sound less boring.
What about the occasional (electronical) percussive bits, adding to the kit?

Lately I have been listening quite a bit to BT and I must say that I just love the way he treats similar kinds of songs. IMO he doesn't steal the feel but adds a modern touch to it.
Oh well, maybe you don't like such things at all, but it could perhaps be something to consider.

Don't get me wrong, I am still meaning what I said first: It's one of your songs I like the most.
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

What can i say, top notch as ever 8)

Loving it and yes, incorporate Har's beautiful sliding work in there

:oops: donks can i get the solo tracks please
i feel a slightly reworked version if thats ok with you 8)

Sascha Franck wrote:This for my taste is the best song of you I've heard in quite a while!
I do have some comments regarding the productional aspect though.
IMO the stringpad is too loud, which results in the acoustic/pure quality being muddled up. Next, the voice (at least in the end chorus, but maybe all throughout) could be louder.
Personally I would also prefer a bit tighter drumsound (not sure whether it's the kit or the mix tho), but after all it's somewhat OK.
Further, the bass could play some variations every now and then. Best would be using a real bass, I don't like this sound too much.

Finally, I know you will almost never do anything to existing (read: allready posted) songs anymore, so I guess it's hopeless to say anything more - BUT! Yes... but... In this case I could very well imagine the complete song being produced quite a bit different. And no, I don't mean to f*** up everything, I would pretty much keep the whole accustic guitar feeling and such, but I would use some modernized production techniques.
What about the occasional sound diving away in a feedback echo send (such as last words of a line)?
What about the pad sound morphing around a bit (or being slightly treated rhytmically for that matter), just rarely, but to make the pad sound less boring.
What about the occasional (electronical) percussive bits, adding to the kit?

Lately I have been listening quite a bit to BT and I must say that I just love the way he treats similar kinds of songs. IMO he doesn't steal the feel but adds a modern touch to it.
Oh well, maybe you don't like such things at all, but it could perhaps be something to consider.

Don't get me wrong, I am still meaning what I said first: It's one of your songs I like the most.
Hehe, I always alter loads of stuff, just like to give it a few weeks before doing it, give me a chance to reassess the song!

Hmm, strings too loud, aye perhaps a bit. :oops:

I'm ok with the level of the vocal at the moment, but we'll see, similarly with the drums sound I do like a flabby kind of sound, 'tight' sounding kits never really have enough bollocks to em for my liking.

Re using vocal effects; Good idea, don't know why I didn't think of it, been doing it quite a lot of late, shitloads of automation - amazing how quickly I forget stuff! :lol: Getting a real bass is next on me list by the way. but Euro 2004 seems to have cost me more than I imagined... :cry:

About the pad (z3ta 'way pad' bank D, by the way), what kind of thing would you suggest? More modulation, or some kind of gating?

"Lately I have been listening quite a bit to BT" - and then you went and ruined it... :hihi:
Last edited by donkey tugger on Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

vurt wrote::oops: donks can i get the solo tracks please
Wouldn't mind them either - well, vox and guitar that is. Not sure whether I find enough time tho, so I didn't ask in the first place.

Wow... :o

:x

I am getting so F**KING sick of people dropping by and, when I play them my latest tracks, they keep saying stuff like: "Yeah cool Alex, but can you play some of those tunes by Donkey Tugger again.... Please?"

:cry:

What a great feel this one has too - ya filthy booger... 8)

Goes good with this Guiness by the way... ;)

aaaaah - I'd love to get me mits on this!

Just one question though Donks - who is it about?

donkey tugger wrote: similarly with the drums sound I do like a flabby kind of sound, 'tight' sounding kits never really have enough bollocks to em for my liking.
I know. In that case it was only my taste.
Getting a real bass is next on me list by the way. but Euro 2004 seems to have cost me more than I imagined... :cry:
Heh! There's nothing wrong with that! Finally a kickass championship (even if the last 2 games were rather boring, but UK : Portugal has got to be match of the year).
As long as you can't do it yourself, have someone else play the bass.
About the pad (z3ta 'way pad' bank D, by the way), what kind of thing would you suggest? More modulation, or some kind of gating?
Just the occasional bit of some soft rhythmic modulation. I'm not talking about trancey (hehe) gating here.
As an example: Personally I like routing cutoff to a temposynced LFO (maybe in 8ths or 16ths) and control the whole thing through my ModWheel to slightly fade the effect in. Then, route the pad through some tempo-synced pingpong (or whatever temposynced delay) and you get some nice rhythmic warblings in the background, good for vocal pauses and the likes. In case the effect sounds really good one could also start raising delay feedback to keep it warbling on top of things for a while.
As said, just an example.
"Lately I have been listening quite a bit to BT" - and then you went and ruined it... :hihi:
Boah!
Seriously, I usually only like 3 tracks out of a whole BT album, but what he does in them is marvellous.
On his "Emotional Technologies" there's a song called "Dark Heart Dawning" - I wouldn't compare your song to it at all, I also wouldn't apply any of the used techniques. But IMO it's a fine example of how you can produce an originally "band/songrwiter-style" in another way without spoiling it.

Anyways, that was just an example, I do still like the "normally" produced wellmade pop/rock song as much.

Btw, what are all you UK boys doing here allready??? I mean, even for ME it's goddamn early (feelt to sleep at 23h, that's why), plus I start to change my sleeping habits anyways, but I though you were all night dwells...

Sascha Franck wrote:Btw, what are all you UK boys doing here allready??? I mean, even for ME it's goddamn early (feelt to sleep at 23h, that's why), plus I start to change my sleeping habits anyways, but I though you were all night dwells...
I seem to be getting up at 3am these days, for some evil reason...

Oki, for those wanting to f**k around, here are the original acoustic and electric guitar bits as loops (you don't think I recorded the thing all the way through do you?? :-o :-o :lol: ), and the vocal.

They're 192k mp3s and you'll probably have to use some manner of amp sim on the electric guitars, I recorded them DI and used the jcm900 on them meself.

fortune loops

Have fun, and don't make me sound like a twat! :hihi:

Oh, and it's not about anybody as far as I know, took me about 2 mins to do the lyrics as usual, total nonsense! :lol:

Donks wrote:Have fun, and don't make me sound like a twat!
:hihi:

I might if I have some time :D

Cool, let's see... - too much things to organize for the damn uni, a demanding GF coming soon (err... don't take the "coming" part literally, we'll see about that), but I hope I'll find some time.

Return to “Music Cafe”