New classic EM Track "Ancient monuments"; feedback wanted :-)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am just working on some new songs.
I just finished a song called "Monument".
It is written as classic EM song of the seventies but with some modern elements.
Here ist is:
https://soundcloud.com/musikus/ancient-monument

I would behappy about your feedback. :-)
Last edited by Gucky on Tue May 30, 2017 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

If you were trying to do just a jam imitation of that general Berlin electronica you did a good job of it. The patches were right on. If you did your best to make it something that reflects your own skills and talents, it isn't there.
I also see composition and arrangement problems and other things...but it was good for what you may have intended it to be.
I'm rather sick of that general TD/Spacecraft thing. I've heard it a lot over the yrs and most ppl just stick to format, and that's just boring anymore.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

Hi annode,
many thanks for your feedback! :-)
You are right, I intended to make a jam imitation of the TD of the early eighties.
Only the main theme is composed. The rest is improvisation. The track is not final. I will change the fake guitar with a real guitar solo of a friend. Maybe also some other little changes. But it will remain a TD style track.
I am still a fan of such albums like TD "Logos". After so many years I still have fun to hear such music.
I also like new bands like Perge that do that style. And I have still fun to make such kind of music.
That is the reason why I made this track.
But I can understand that not everybody like to hear such music in 2017.
At the moment I am making a church pipe organ track. That is not TD :-)

many thanks for your feedback! :-)
Your welcome Gucky.
Only the main theme is composed.
Yes, this is the base for which I commented. I felt you have the 1st half of the theme, but did not create the 2nd section which resolves the theme.
The track is not final.
Since you are still working it, may I make a few suggestions?
- Fade in the sequencer part before bringing in the drum part.
I feel the drum solidifies the musical completeness so then the soloing can begin. You have all this, but I feel the seqr and drum parts are reversed.

Your drum accents at about 4:40 were right where I would have put them, breaking the tension. :)
Are you using the Arturia CS80 by chance?
A real guitarist sounds like an interesting addition.You did a good with the guitar. Good track Gucky I like it, well made.(except for the above suggestion,IMO)

I'll check out 'Perge'.

Hi annode,
thanks for your tip!
I changed it now.
Here is the new version:

The main synth is not the CS 80 V but the Legend.
I think also that the sound is like the CS 80 :-)

Thank you for making the time to test it out. Many would not have bothered. :hug: The production sounds great, even on my small kitchen speakers! Even the soloing, as is customary for this particular electronic style, not so monotonous as to be hard to listen to.
You have a winner! Don't delete it. :lol:

Here is now my final version of "Ancient monuments".
I added now a guitar solo from a real guitarist. Thanks to Freddy Schlender for his fantastic guitar solo! :-)
Here it is:

Hope you like it. :-)

The new guitar part is a excellent addition.
I don't like electric-guitar in electronica or ambient except for Frippertronics or EBow. Your friend created a tasteful not in your face solo that was more then just acceptable.
Good work with mixing it in. Maybe the mellotron is too loud? :shrug:

Hi annode,
you are right, the mellotron was a little bit too loud when the solos are playing.
Here I reduced it now a little bit.
I also added a DX7 sound to the song.
I think it is now my very very final version:

Hope you like it. :-)

Return to “Music Cafe”