<untitled>, new, same vein as other recents

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

(except for terra incognita which is _so_ bleak.)
long tones, some development.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FP23swaGUE

finished this days ago, wanted to get a video together but this machine doesn't really support that so well.

First thing I did was the last, tonal section. Which was just, that's the lines I did in a couple of minutes, it worked quite well but it was not my general notion of where it's at for this. I decided on opening up a whole lot of bars in front of it and then I thought it would a good exercise to convincingly go from where it does actually begin into it.
A factor in my choice of notes seems to be that I started on C#. So I restarted at a distance
from that, I like that particular job challenge.
So the thing to do was more and more tonal-ish gestures in the part-writing as it goes.

Atmospheric and nicely evolving, I'd say you definitely achieved the goal of becoming more "tonal-ish" over time. What were the metallic sounds? They seemed to really embody the character of the piece.

hey, thanks

I used SonicCouture 'GlassWorks', the Glass Armonica instrument. Some of the notes react to the filter and are synth-like, at certain velocities. With 'velocity' set around 75% in the filter section. The super-resonant things are this, and I double some chief melody notes with piccolo flute (VSL, which is a really good instrument).

Massive; at times these two sound similar, other times not so much.

The big part of the sound design is Absynth, tweaks of some pretty old patches. The vocal kind of thing on the right is that and there is a metallic sort of halo on the left (and floating above that on the right). Three 'oscillators', hard left/hard right/center does a lot.
(these patches are annoying to work with because the envelopes are so long, but that slow, slow attack is what results in the vocal choir quality.)

And a few of the gestures are XXL TamTam from VSL, which is a gigantic TamTam manipulated in numerous ways (based in Karlheinz Stockhausen's Mikrophonie). It sounds like a flute a lot of the time, overblown like some asian flute or something. So here are several things which resemble each other but also diverge. And there are cymbal swells, VSL cymbals are unbelievably good, I forgot how good. Cymbal D, a big dark one. And BFD things which resemble that.

That was very nice, especially the "vocal kind of thing". As you said earlier, the 2001 soundtrack was one of those "once heard, never forgotten" experiences. I think I first saw that when I was 14. Great job with the soundstage on here.

Good work :)

Return to “Music Cafe”