Bells

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is sort of a waltz using an Iris2 bell patch and orchestral libraries.

https://soundcloud.com/fastlanephil/bells-ver2

It's a nice tune with an old time feel. The arrangement is super trebly. I think it would work better with a better balance of frequencies.

Old-timey feel indeed! :-) I think the exaggerated high end suits the material but I think you could cut out some of the frequencies from the choir sound to make room for the other parts, or even just some panning and volume adjustment might help. Anyway, it kinda reminds me of the ending music for Attack On Titan.

Thanks for sharing!

Frantz,

Thanks for responding!

This is my second version of this tune. I was going to go all electronic on it but decided to try using all natural samples with the Iris2 patch this time. It's better but they still do sonically conflict with each other.

Back to the laboratory.
Last edited by fastlanephil on Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justin3am,

Thanks for the remarks and ideas!

I'll do some more adjusting of pans and volume but maybe I need to cut back on the strings and then I can cut back on the choir. I'm using LASS full violins and violas along with cellos and basses. I'll thought about just going to a string quartet. Maybe try EQ on the Iris2 patch also.

kind of reminds me of a music box tune, i think your release on notes on some sounds
are kind of short and dont decay naturally.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

This is a very pleasant tune whose style and composition recalls that of another KVR member. I think you could try just cutting the volume level of the strings and choir by a couple of dB each. That might help with the sonic balance of the piece, then you could possibly look at making cuts to the high end EQ of the strings and choir to give the bells some more space, although the volume reduction may be enough to achieve that on its own.

Good work :)

Thank you for the comments and recommendations lazer and seismic1.

I've eliminated and replaced the synth sounds in the main body with sampled hand bells. Just a touch of synth on the higher register bells for some shimmer. I reduced the violins and violas from Full to just A Section.

It seems you have to click on the beginning of the audio file graphic to get it to start today. ?????

https://soundcloud.com/fastlanephil/bel ... ll-version

I think the second version is better. Good advice from layzer and seismic1. The panning helps but I think the choir and pads could be a little quieter yet (but not the french horn). I would swell the pads up and down in volume.
Enjoyed the quirkiness of it. Nice melodies and yes old time feel.
Well done.
:)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

I like it a lot! great writing.... marvelous and melodious!

Thanks for the comments and tips Allomerus!

Actually there aren't any pads in the second version, just LASS string samples. Adding a crescendo, at least to the middle section of the main body is a good idea. It's maybe best to do that by adding another string section instead of upping expression (CC1). I could maybe up the choir there also.

I have experimented with the choir/string mix and it seems the voice works better with the bells sounds than the string sounds do.

I made the mistake of adding a midi track while the other midi tracks were hidden using that Logic Pro X feature and it pushed the hidden midi tracks way out of sync with their bounced audio tracks. A major time consuming headache to fix.

Jesse Gorter wrote:I like it a lot! great writing.... marvelous and melodious!
Thank you much!

Return to “Music Cafe”