Ladies and Gentlemen, let me introduce to you...

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mr Lister

A musician who lives down the road from me, someone I've known since he was a kid; another son of another friend. :D

He's been putting this CD together and now it's due to go in for mastering with a view to publishing. I think there's an Inspiral connection, that's how that's happening, but hey! this is Manchester - almost everybody knows somebody... :lol:

He's granted me the honour of putting three tracks of my choice on my site.

I picked:

Lazy Man because it's a top song, written and sung by Mr Lister. This guy's 18, people - listen to those lyrics! :-o
I also think it's got a vague Syd Barrett-ness about it. :wink: (Although when I said that to him, the poor lad said "Who's Syd Barrett?" :lol: - but he realised he knew who he was when I told him 8))
Production's a bit bright for my taste here, but at the same time it well suits the tune.

Classical Ambient cos the first time I heard it I thought it was beautiful. Kind of reminds me of a futuristic industrial manga-style romance...
This couldn't be more different to the first track, showing the diversity of the guys talents.

and TripHop Experiment cos I think it's pretty clever and cos it's different again to the other two tracks.

EDIT: New Addition * If I Had A Wife * Another acoustic song because people seem to like Lazy Man. :D

In fact, no two tracks were the same, covering Prog Rock to TripHop to DnB to Self-penned songs to Beakbeat plus a great 10 minute experimental piece.
I just wish you could hear the whole CD right now. :-o

vurt - you remember Dagmar?
This is her son, now a dude in his own right. :D
Last edited by Glassback on Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

On "TripHop Experiment" i especially liked the xylophone samples which give a variation to the typically dark triphop feel. But the snare is imo too loud and punchin' for the feeling that the rest of the song suggests.

I wouldn't call "Lazy Man" Prog Rock, it sounds rather like classic Pop-Rock because of the common chords. The drums are quite strange though. At 1:30 its gets a little boring. And at 1:50 the "breaks" at the end are a bit empty. At the end, i felt a bit reminded of "Why don't you get a job" by Offspring.

I wouldn't say this guy covers every music style. The second and the third song are quite similar; distorted, low drums, small xylophone melodies. The first one surprised me of being somewhat different.

timewastin wrote:On "TripHop Experiment" i especially liked the xylophone samples which give a variation to the typically dark triphop feel. But the snare is imo too loud and punchin' for the feeling that the rest of the song suggests.

I wouldn't call "Lazy Man" Prog Rock, it sounds rather like classic Pop-Rock because of the common chords. The drums are quite strange though. At 1:30 its gets a little boring. And at 1:50 the "breaks" at the end are a bit empty. At the end, i felt a bit reminded of "Why don't you get a job" by Offspring.

I wouldn't say this guy covers every music style. The second and the third song are quite similar; distorted, low drums, small xylophone melodies. The first one surprised me of being somewhat different.
I didn't describe Lazy Man as Prog Rock. :wink:
I described it as 'a song' with a slight Syd Barrett feel to it's odd style. 8)

And I must stress that these are only 3 tracks from a full CD.
If you heard the rest of the CD you'd have to agree that his styles are very varied.

Personally, I wish the lad well. :D

Listening to the first one....wow...cool...so cool!

I like it, like it alot....it's got me groovin', I need a beer now, feelin lazy...too cool. :D

I like Lazy Man

Good stuff... Lazy man is my favorite too...

What kind of stuff is he putting on the CD?

<edit>
Doh!... :lol: ...okay... just re-read your initial post!
I Must learn to read the whole of a post! :smack:
</edit>

Ben

Lazy man was definately a great track and totally different then the other two. Of which I prefered the triphop one over the classical Ambient piece.

It's cool though to also have a face with the music and yup; at 18 showing such diversity I can only hope that he fares well in the future :D

Thanks for hosting and sharing these Mick

Well, everybody seems to like Lazy Man which pleases me no end cos I reckon there's a whole load of potential there... :D

Got Mr Lister sat with me now:
Mr Lister: "All I'd like to say is that I'm glad that people are just taking the time to acknowledge my music; it makes me glad if they like it. Thanks for all the positive feedback. :D "

8) :D

Glassback wrote:Well, everybody seems to like Lazy Man which pleases me no end cos I reckon there's a whole load of potential there... :D

Got Mr Lister sat with me now:
Mr Lister: "All I'd like to say is that I'm glad that people are just taking the time to acknowledge my music; it makes me glad if they like it. Thanks for all the positive feedback. :D "

8) :D
Mr Lister: make more music, pronto! :wink:

Thanks for sharing this stuff with us guys!

Lazy Man: Toss in a brass (Trumpet or French Horn) line over the middle section and maybe here and there toward the later sections and its Syd Barrett/Floyd all over again. Great lyrics, great vocals, very good tune.

Listening to the rest now.

Classical Ambient: Ties in with Lazy Man if the CD is a concept album. Feels part of an overall theme.

TripHop Experiment: With lyrics this could easily have a Radiohead vibe.

I'd love to hear the entire CD myself. 8) Keep us posted. Much potential this young Jedi has.
We shall see orchestral machines with a thousand new sounds, with thousands of new euphonies, as opposed to the present day's simple sounds of strings, brass, and woodwinds. -- George Antheil, circa 1925 ---

hey mr lister :wink:
not seen you since you were knee high :lol:

lazy man-yes a very nice tune
could be syd but not really wacky enough ie it makes sense lyrically which makes me think more ray davies/the kinks
you know what i mean mick,actual stories in a tune
but both are as cool as each other so no probs anyway 8)
bit beatles ish too i suppose
8) more of this stuff please(i think youll find it takes you further than you think at the moment :wink: i reckon its what the world is ready for[check out simple kid for similar ish stuff 8) ])

Yeah, Ray Davies - that'll do.

Well seeing as people seem to like Lazy Man so much, here's another (very) short little ditty along the same lines:
If I Had A Wife - Mr Lister

Glassback wrote:Yeah, Ray Davies - that'll do.

Well seeing as people seem to like Lazy Man so much, here's another (very) short little ditty along the same lines:
Blimey, nearly considered getting married again there for a second!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Big Karma wrote:
Glassback wrote:Yeah, Ray Davies - that'll do.

Blimey, nearly considered getting married again there for a second!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wenches of the world, know thy places. :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

good stuff...dug it all, but particularly 'lazy man' and 'if i had a wife'. :D
i'd rather have a mullet than a comb-over.
fortunately, i have neither.

Return to “Music Cafe”