Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
User avatar
Frantz
KVRAF
 
4796 posts since 18 Jul, 2008, from New York

Postby Frantz; Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:03 pm Fragile Gods - "Falling"

I seem to be moving in a poppier direction with this song which includes backing vocals by the talented Aika Zabala.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6EkRpZDwAU

https://soundcloud.com/fragilegods/falling

Synths: Repro-5, Monark, M-Tron Pro, Icarus, BFD3

The lyrics are on Soundcloud. Any feedback is appreciated.
Last edited by Frantz on Sun May 20, 2018 7:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
layzer
KVRAF
 
5440 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Postby layzer; Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:29 pm Re: Fragile Gods - "Falling"

the good: i said, i said, that was funky! it gets more catchy the more you play it.
the bad: that pop snare just didn't fit well, imo.. it was too loud and had too much of a low-midrange tone that really took over the mix when it was popping away. there was a part towards the end 3:03-3:52 where it was not present. I would have enjoyed the song with that snare tone from that section played throughout.

i dunno, prob just me. if no one else says anything about it, i'll stfu. lol
Last edited by layzer on Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]
sjm
KVRAF
 
1652 posts since 17 Apr, 2004

Postby sjm; Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:20 pm Re: Fragile Gods - "Falling"

I really like the pre-chorus, it's very catchy. The chorus too, but it's the pre-chorus for me that does it. The verses are pretty tethered and then all of a suddenly we're going on a little journey.
Voted KVR's resident drunk Robert Smith impersonator (thanks Frantz!)
User avatar
ChamMusic
KVRian
 
816 posts since 12 Jun, 2006, from Birmingham, UK

Postby ChamMusic; Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:46 pm Re: Fragile Gods - "Falling"

Love some of those synth sounds...great combos as usual...nicely judged.

What's the lead at 34 seconds? fascinating sound!

Strong vocal performance...very appropriate for the genre.

Backing vocals add a new dimension...they work in lifting it all that little bit further.

Love the contrasting section from 3min 05 secs.

Production is quite big and spacious, but suitably punchy as well.

Great retro track!

The snare that Layzer mentioned: I don't have a problem with the actual sound at all, but thought that it might be very slightly too high in the mix...did start to penetrate my head a little after a second listen.
Mark Taylor
Chameleon Music
fastlanephil
KVRian
 
571 posts since 3 Jan, 2016

Postby fastlanephil; Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:16 pm Re: Fragile Gods - "Falling"

An all around great tune. Interesting lyrics that were easily understandable and a it had a good hook. From what songs with vocals I’ve heard on this site those sorts of things can be a weakness.

That singer does breath life into the song.

I would concure that the snare was a little high in the mix but maybe not for dance, just listening?
User avatar
Jace-BeOS
KVRAF
 
4653 posts since 7 Jan, 2005, from Corporate States of America

Postby Jace-BeOS; Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:37 pm Re: Fragile Gods - "Falling"

It's annoying how crippled SoundCloud is on mobile browsers. Not your fault. Just complaining because I wanted to see the lyrics without going to my desktop ;-)
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud
User avatar
Frantz
KVRAF
 
4796 posts since 18 Jul, 2008, from New York

Postby Frantz; Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:08 pm Re: Fragile Gods - "Falling"

layzer wrote:the good: i said, i said, that was funky! it gets more catchy the more you play it.
the bad: that pop snare just didn't fit well, imo.. it was too loud and had too much of a low-midrange tone that really took over the mix when it was popping away. there was a part towards the end 3:03-3:52 where it was not present. I would have enjoyed the song with that snare tone from that section played throughout.


Glad you liked it. I appreciate feedback like this on the mix. I will take a look at the snare and probably make an adjustment. Thanks!
aaron aardvark
KVRian
 
1449 posts since 22 Jan, 2011, from near Los Angeles

Postby aaron aardvark; Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:24 pm Re: Fragile Gods - "Falling"

Frantz,
Thank you for the review! Now your song: instrumentally, this kind of reminds me of Kraftwerk, which is good. Nice audio quality. This song has some of your better vocals (pitch accuracy is better than usual); I always liked the tone of your vocals. The background vocals definitely add something. The vocals during the chorus are probably the most full (multi-layered) I've heard from you. Nice synths and melodies. Overall, it sounds quite good! :) Did you use Icarus, or something else (copy & paste?) to trigger your quick repetition vocal sample? I got Icarus a few months ago myself.
User avatar
Frantz
KVRAF
 
4796 posts since 18 Jul, 2008, from New York

Postby Frantz; Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:30 pm Re: Fragile Gods - "Falling"

sjm wrote:I really like the pre-chorus, it's very catchy. The chorus too, but it's the pre-chorus for me that does it. The verses are pretty tethered and then all of a suddenly we're going on a little journey.


I like that observation about the pre-chorus. It's the point of lift off where things become un-tethered. Thanks for the feedback. :)
sjm
KVRAF
 
1652 posts since 17 Apr, 2004

Postby sjm; Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:25 am Re: Fragile Gods - "Falling"

Frantz wrote:
sjm wrote:I really like the pre-chorus, it's very catchy. The chorus too, but it's the pre-chorus for me that does it. The verses are pretty tethered and then all of a suddenly we're going on a little journey.


I like that observation about the pre-chorus. It's the point of lift off where things become un-tethered.


Above all, it's very clever! You've taken the theme/title of the song, and puts it into a musical form. A baseline from which we then jump into weightlessness.
Voted KVR's resident drunk Robert Smith impersonator (thanks Frantz!)
User avatar
Frantz
KVRAF
 
4796 posts since 18 Jul, 2008, from New York

Postby Frantz; Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:20 pm Re: Fragile Gods - "Falling"

layzer wrote:the good: i said, i said, that was funky! it gets more catchy the more you play it.
the bad: that pop snare just didn't fit well, imo.. it was too loud and had too much of a low-midrange tone that really took over the mix when it was popping away. there was a part towards the end 3:03-3:52 where it was not present. I would have enjoyed the song with that snare tone from that section played throughout.


I did a new mix with the snare lowered a bit. The new mix is in both the MP3 and Soundcloud.

Hopefully, that sounds a bit better. Thanks again for your feedback. :)
User avatar
Frantz
KVRAF
 
4796 posts since 18 Jul, 2008, from New York

Postby Frantz; Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:51 pm Re: Fragile Gods - "Falling"

ChamMusic wrote:Love some of those synth sounds...great combos as usual...nicely judged.

What's the lead at 34 seconds? fascinating sound!

Strong vocal performance...very appropriate for the genre.

Backing vocals add a new dimension...they work in lifting it all that little bit further.

Love the contrasting section from 3min 05 secs.

Production is quite big and spacious, but suitably punchy as well.

Great retro track!

The snare that Layzer mentioned: I don't have a problem with the actual sound at all, but thought that it might be very slightly too high in the mix...did start to penetrate my head a little after a second listen.


Thank you Mark. I appreciate the detailed and encouraging feedback. The lead at 0:34 is u-he's Repro 5 - an amazing Prophet 5 emulation.

I posted a new mix with a lower snare today.
User avatar
ChamMusic
KVRian
 
816 posts since 12 Jun, 2006, from Birmingham, UK

Postby ChamMusic; Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:04 pm Re: Fragile Gods - "Falling"

Frantz wrote:I posted a new mix with a lower snare today


Works for me!
Mark Taylor
Chameleon Music
User avatar
layzer
KVRAF
 
5440 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Postby layzer; Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:49 pm Re: Fragile Gods - "Falling"

Frantz wrote:I posted a new mix with a lower snare today


better! doesn't distract as much from the vox as before :phones: :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]
User avatar
Frantz
KVRAF
 
4796 posts since 18 Jul, 2008, from New York

Postby Frantz; Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:05 pm Re: Fragile Gods - "Falling"

Jace-BeOS wrote:It's annoying how crippled SoundCloud is on mobile browsers. Not your fault. Just complaining because I wanted to see the lyrics without going to my desktop ;-)


You're in luck. Now there's a lyrics video you can watch on your phone. ;)
Next

Moderators: DrApostropheX, Scoops, KVR Moderators (Main)

Return to Music Cafe