July Contest: Gossip

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Eh, I'm classically trained and look how little good it's done me. :lol:

That's a valiant attempt TB. I personally would have made some different choices in some of the chord progressions to change it up a bit, but the overall idea is good. Getting a bit of Elton John in parts in the vocals, until your metel singer roots come out - can't stop yourself I'll wager! Good to hear you try something a bit different.

That one was a little tough. Think I'm gonna save it for a Kompoz collaboration project though and maybe get some better tracks out of people who actually know what they are doing. Take some time with it hopefully. Thanks for the listen Donkey. I'll admit I still want a few things including a ripping lead...just didn't want to ruin the song with my hacks. I'll post up if it gets picked up by anyone else.
Last edited by Tbase2000 on Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

if anyone needs help with Am7 just ask. Not a very complex chord at all.
Thankful it wasn't a chord like G#7(#9#5) as heard in Bill Evans, "My Foolish Heart"

deleted (did not need a collaborator after all)

Bravo Mike. That's some nice chord work on that piano. Very emotional piece.

Tbase2000 wrote:Bravo Mike. That's some nice chord work on that piano. Very emotional piece.
Thanks! and great entry this month (and last) yourself!

Is using google drive ok for mp3 link? It's not really a direct link?

That's really good Mike, love the little twists and turns in the chord progression and the almost dissonant bits. On the odd occasions I dabble in piano based stuff I always tend to avoid grand pianos as they usually (the sampled ones I've got in Kontakt) sound a bit bland to me so I use uprights or something a bit more esoteric like Una Corda, but this Yamaha you've got has a nice character to it. Strings do sound good too - nicely understated.

donkey tugger wrote:That's really good Mike, love the little twists and turns in the chord progression and the almost dissonant bits. On the odd occasions I dabble in piano based stuff I always tend to avoid grand pianos as they usually (the sampled ones I've got in Kontakt) sound a bit bland to me so I use uprights or something a bit more esoteric like Una Corda, but this Yamaha you've got has a nice character to it. Strings do sound good too - nicely understated.
Thanks, I agree about pianos. I especially prefer uprights as well. I like a piano with character, even flaws. So I should have mentioned I didn't use just the Yamaha grand but a mix of two pianos to make it sound like an old piano

Mike777 wrote:Is using google drive ok for mp3 link? It's not really a direct link?
Hmm. I still don't get it. Everyone seems to use Sound Cloud here. If that's the protocol then cool...I just don't understand the issues. I still don't have that extra cool Pro Looking Play button next to my link like most but I thought that was because I was new and needed some secret clearance based on my post count.

First time I actually used the quote feature also. Let's see if it worked.

JQ quote
My voice used to enter these competitions 10 years ago...I'd imagine most who heard it then would agree not enough time has passed for revival. :lol:

I will take your word for it. I feel that way about my drums. Please get this guy a real kit and some rhythm please. :band:

Tbase2000 wrote:JQ quote
My voice used to enter these competitions 10 years ago...I'd imagine most who heard it then would agree not enough time has passed for revival. :lol:

I will take your word for it. I feel that way about my drums. Please get this guy a real kit and some rhythm please. :band:
Depending on how much time and effort one wants to spend developing and "improving" rhythm, it's certainly a skill set that can be studied, crafted, workshopped, etc. Of course, it comes more naturally to some. But there's just so much that can be done with a bad voice.

My voice is like a broken reed--even when in tune, it's just an unpleasant thing--so I am truly envious of folks who have great voices. I realize many singers spend a lot of time and work refining their vocal gifts too, but some of it certainly seems to come from unknown forces, a blessing of sorts.

Jonny Quest wrote:
Tbase2000 wrote:JQ quote

Depending on how much time and effort one wants to spend developing and "improving" rhythm, it's certainly a skill set that can be studied, crafted, workshopped, etc. Of course, it comes more naturally to some. But there's just so much that can be done with a bad voice.

My voice is like a broken reed--even when in tune, it's just an unpleasant thing--so I am truly envious of folks who have great voices. I realize many singers spend a lot of time and work refining their vocal gifts too, but some of it certainly seems to come from unknown forces, a blessing of sorts.
My mother was an opera singer and vocal coach. Simply put, and she was definitely an expert, some people's voice boxes are simply not built for singing. Add to that their body type, size of chest, etc. and that either makes things better or worse.

I am tall and thin, no chest and a very small voice box. I will never be a singer, period. Yes, you can train people to breathe correctly and enunciate correctly but there is only so much you can do with somebody who is not built to be a singer.

Then you have allergies, vocal chord nodes and all kinds of other things that can go "wrong" and, well, you get the picture.

And of course with age the voice goes. Some faster than others. Julie Andrews, as lovely as she sang, lost her voice completely.

But people are still going to tell you that you can sing if you really want to.

Yeah, and pigs can fly.

Your probably right on the extreme "should never touch a microphone" level...because I do know some of those people. My cousin has his moments but we always make him go back to the drums where he belongs. But here we are competing against people who can sing. Donkey and others have amazing voices and they know what they do best. How about as a compromise and actually a great production element (because I would love to have this handed to me) a solo instrument track that mimics the vocal you would have sang if you could? Instrumentals are just that, but if you write a song that has a vocal intention then you have to somehow portray the full song to get the idea across. Hoping someone interprets it the way you intended is a HUGE long shot every time.

Tbase2000 wrote:Your probably right on the extreme "should never touch a microphone" level...because I do know some of those people. My cousin has his moments but we always make him go back to the drums where he belongs. But here we are competing against people who can sing. Donkey and others have amazing voices and they know what they do best. How about as a compromise and actually a great production element (because I would love to have this handed to me) a solo instrument track that mimics the vocal you would have sang if you could? Instrumentals are just that, but if you write a song that has a vocal intention then you have to somehow portray the full song to get the idea across. Hoping someone interprets it the way you intended is a HUGE long shot every time.
Vocaloid.

Return to “Music Cafe”