donkeyt-hopeless case - indie/retro soul?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

After me last bout of mutitrack layered madness, time for something a bit more laid back. One (1) vocal (which may sound a bit like Liam Gallagher trying to do Al Green :hihi: ), may have ripped off 'Walk On By' a bit (it's a great song, worth plagiarising ...). Over 3 minutes!

http://www.bennyleeds7.myfreeola.uk/don ... s-case.mp3

Might need to do the singing again (when I recover), let's see..

My Feedback

Music - 8.5
Instruments - 9.5
Performance - 8
Mix - 8.5

Overall - 8.625

Comments: Couple of pitchy notes on the vocals but you still sing better sick than I do perfectly well. Nice song. Vocals a little soft in parts. Probably could do with some remixing. Feel better.

I ad-libbed quite a lot of the tune, so there was always going to be a bit of wobble... :hihi: Think I've fixed the worst offenders now (re-uploaded), and boosted some of the quiet singing - probably will need to refine over time as always. I've also resisted the temptation to rename it to something like, 'Dictatorship Of The Proletariat'.

Cool, I like it. Nice variations, doesn't drag.
Sounds to me like a mix of Bowie, Chris Rea and Prefab Sprout. :D
Enjoyed it. :)
After thought edit.
Getting a Tom Robinson vibe, also.
Last edited by The Noodlist on Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

Listening on my phone on the way to the mountains, so not the highest quality playback. As per usual, I like it. Not sure you're a hopeless case...

If I had one minor criticism, it would be that the keys sounds just a little too tight in the playing for my tastes. I know you don't play the keys, so I'll assume you programed them in the piano roll. Given that you're going for a bit of that laid back feel, the closeness of the hits in the chords, and the lack of little grace notes as lead ins stick out a bit. You *could* refine that a little. Or you could say sod it, no one really cares, and probably be right.

But if it were up to me, I'd space the notes a bit more (or just play it on the keyboard because I'm lazy).

sjm wrote:Listening on my phone on the way to the mountains, so not the highest quality playback. As per usual, I like it. Not sure you're a hopeless case...

If I had one minor criticism, it would be that the keys sounds just a little too tight in the playing for my tastes. I know you don't play the keys, so I'll assume you programed them in the piano roll. Given that you're going for a bit of that laid back feel, the closeness of the hits in the chords, and the lack of little grace notes as lead ins stick out a bit. You *could* refine that a little. Or you could say sod it, no one really cares, and probably be right.

But if it were up to me, I'd space the notes a bit more (or just play it on the keyboard because I'm lazy).
Hehe, I played it on the midi guitar, then quantised it a bit because it was a bit too loose, and guitar-y. Perhaps went a bit too far in the other direction..

nice

I really dig this song, have listened several times now. No real criticism I can offer. Keep up the good work.

The Noodlist wrote: a mix of Bowie, Chris Rea and Prefab Sprout. :D
That's a top combo!

Interesting that you mention playing the midi guitar, because there are one or two sections where I thought it almost sounded guitar like.

I think two things to keep mind... The spacing of the notes in lazy playing can be quite generous, probably more so than a typical guitar chord. But the release /note off will be very close together. And unlike a guitar, the notes don't have to go low to high in terms of timing. Often, the top notes will be a kind of melody line, and will be the first notes to sound, then an arp from low to high. Obviously not hard and fast. Gotta run, am mid-hike and the wife is stressing...

Dt is God. Makes me relax. So much better than Yoga, espcially if you listen together with that lovely girl Mari. You know, Mari Huana.

dug wrote:nice

Jaaaath!

bluedad wrote:I really dig this song, have listened several times now. No real criticism I can offer. Keep up the good work.
Cheers. About time you did some new stuff surely?

sjm wrote:Interesting that you mention playing the midi guitar, because there are one or two sections where I thought it almost sounded guitar like.

I think two things to keep mind... The spacing of the notes in lazy playing can be quite generous, probably more so than a typical guitar chord. But the release /note off will be very close together. And unlike a guitar, the notes don't have to go low to high in terms of timing. Often, the top notes will be a kind of melody line, and will be the first notes to sound, then an arp from low to high. Obviously not hard and fast. Gotta run, am mid-hike and the wife is stressing...
All valid stuff. I think I compounded it because after I'd written the majority of it on the acoustic, the first thing I did was record the midi stuff, but using a guitar patch (which obviously you're always going to play, like a guitar.. :clown: ) as I had no clue what sounds I would use at that point. What I might have done is do it as two parts, low and high, as you say.

Anyhow, I'm leaving it as is now, but it's something I'll try next time I go for something with the old Joanna on.

IncarnateX wrote:Dt is God.
:help:

Return to “Music Cafe”