[downtempo synthrock] Swift Kick

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Swift Kick (2.3mb)

First, warning this is in .ogg format. If you can't play .oggs, download the latest full version of winamp or get foobar2000. If you are on mac you can get a plugin for itunes here

Ok, about the song: downtempo synthrock with an emphasis on acoustic drums. I'm not a drummer, but imo these drums sound good. And its not just my programming, by far - the ns_kit7 is totally badass. Besides ns_kit, the other synths in this track:

-Rhino x2
-Beast
-Synth1 x2
-Claw
-EVE x2

Enjoy :)

Watch your levels; fairly certain I heard digital clipping here and there.

Not much to say here, but only 'cause I'm tired. I liked it! The drum programming was ace, and the synth work was tasteful. I'm not much into electronica so I can't give it a fair assessment beyond that; however, I enjoyed listening to the track. Thanks for sharing!

Greg

Cheers Greg, thanks for listening. :D Yeah its bedtime for me too...

100% sure there is no clipping on the .wav master, but compression to .mp3 or .ogg sometimes can create clipping.. I'll look into it.

Sorry, I think I found the culprit--

I don't have the .ogg codec installed in a conventional player, so I was just using Tracktion's import browser without closing my current project (which was eating up some CPU cycles). There was no clip per se, just a bit of distortion from the uneven playback. Opened a blank project and fully imported the track for listening, and there was nary a clip to be found.

Greg

another big fan of ns_kit7 here 8)
i use everytime since i've got it.
simply amazing.

your track is good, but to be honest, i'd like to hear more variations. it lacks of something. dunno what exactly.

anyway, thanks for sharing :)

thanks for listening Wopelka.

Yeah the arrangement probably isn't one of my best. Right now I'm just trying to finish songs and 'get them out the door' or else I'll have to delete them half finished - I'm sick of seeing 1 yr old songs in my project folder ;)

another yee haw! for the NS kit here. i liked the synth part at around 1 minute and the swells that i kept hearing. i can't decide if i liked the bass line or not just yet. it does fit the song rather well, but not a fan of the actual sound - just me though :roll:

very laid back groovin' vibe goin' on here. not really something you start a mosh pit too, but more of a song you kind of bob your head along to. i was hoping for a bit more variation too though. maybe a cool little solo synth part or something? very nice though :D

lates

t-willy

floyd wrote:Right now I'm just trying to finish songs and 'get them out the door' or else I'll have to delete them half finished - I'm sick of seeing 1 yr old songs in my project folder ;)
:-o Never just delete old songs because they're not finished.

I noticed you used both Claw and Beast. Isn't claw just the free version of Beast? I found that intriguing that you used both.

As for the track, it is yet another great display of your synth feels for composition. Just lacking that magic ingredient. What perhaps is helpful is to try and collaborate on a track, it'll open your mind for different approaches and could have a surprising effect on your own compositions ;)

Mystahr wrote: :-o Never just delete old songs because they're not finished.

I noticed you used both Claw and Beast. Isn't claw just the free version of Beast? I found that intriguing that you used both.

As for the track, it is yet another great display of your synth feels for composition. Just lacking that magic ingredient. What perhaps is helpful is to try and collaborate on a track, it'll open your mind for different approaches and could have a surprising effect on your own compositions ;)
I think recently, I reached a level of musical maturity required to realize that sometimes you need to scrap some ideas - instead of saving everything. Nowadays, if something doesn't work out, I'm able to just say "ok", and try something else. So when I go back to finish old songs, if things don't click, I'm not very hesitant to just click 'del'.

Claw is a 1 osc version of Beast (4 osc). For leads, I usually don't need Beast's 4 oscs, its overkill.

Thanks for the thoughts, Mystahr. I think the track is about one element away from something pretty special.. Just not sure what it is. Maybe collaboration would be a good idea - just wish more people in my area were interested in this type of music... Its easy to find someone to collaborate on house or trance, but my stuff - not so easy. :?

Return to “Music Cafe”