head full of stars interlude

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is part of a longer piece I may or may not finish. Wadya think?

http://www.nikp2000.com/nikp2000_head_f ... erlude.mp3

Nick

www.nikp2000.com could not be found.

Love to listen once it's up and running.

[edit] working now, may have been something on my ISP's end. Will comment once I listen.

I wouldn't scrap it, you could have a nice mood piece on your hands. But I think it needs tightening, the playing seems a bit noodley, and each voice is a bit too disparate from the next.

Perhaps take out some notes and flourishes, pare the whole thing down to put some extra space between the notes. When I used to do more note oriented stuff, I often used to write songs by recording some freeform playing and then go back and remove notes until I found the essence of the track. Can be a very useful exercise.

I don't much care for the cymbal sound. I think a fuller sounding percussion would do well, like some real cymbal samples run through some effects rather than a synthesized cymbal.

Cheers,
Steve

shamann wrote:I wouldn't scrap it, you could have a nice mood piece on your hands
Thanks for the comments. I was going for a sparse sound with the guitar ringing through. I played the guitar part with a gr20 guitar synth playing a string patch and didn't hear the real guitar well when I recorded. After soloing the guitar I thought that track stood out from the rest of the mix and I built a mix based on it.
the playing seems a bit noodley
Yes, it's noodly, but I was trying to build a noodly background synth wash. That the guitar track came out interesting was a happy surprise.
Perhaps take out some notes and flourishes, pare the whole thing down to put some extra space between the notes.

I'm doing another mix with just the guitar and the midi track it generated. I'll try to add some more space

Nick

I kinda agree with the density of the track, but the feel of this is quite good. It did make quite the difference listening to this after the Wretch; it's rather soft and could use some warmer energy.

I'd say you're on to something here and I'll look forward to a more elaborated piece :)

Yup, you're on to something. I could see this being developed in any number of directions, but because I'm into vocals, I see it having lyrics and telling a story. Not cheesy, like background music for a spoken-word story-- but a fully developed song that just happens to have something to say.

There are so many possibilities that I don't even want to share any ideas, because whatever direction you take it is likely to be a good one. It's hard, though, because I rarely hear a piece with so much potential to become something magnificent.

Greg

Thanks for the nice comments. I'm encouraged to work on this more. It was originally intended to sit between 2 spacey-semi-ambient type sections.
Truthfully, after I heard the soloed the guitar I thought to myself, 'Shit, I think I did something good' This was a new feeling for me. Here's another mix. It sounds spacious, but maybe too effect-y.

http://www.nikp2000.com/head_full_of_stars_edit_2.mp3

Nick

Nice track nikp2000, love the guitar sound, the tone suits the arpegiated patterns, Some accoustic percussion might be nice addition. Hope to hear more of this. 8)

Return to “Music Cafe”