october contest - RULES & SUBMISSIONS

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hayd(no e)n wrote:...everything must be recorded with a microphone (however crap - mine cost a fiver!) and all performance is from both the real world and arrangement/editing tools in your sequencer (effects are allowed of course). you're not restricted to one instrument, but restricted to real world sounds. EQ and filters are easy to use to mask shitty quality recordings esp if you're layering them.
since this idea from our september winner has already caused some concerned chatter im going to exercise my contest mod perogative and modify his concept slightly to perhaps make it more palatable to more folks ...

... so this month is a found sounds extravanganza !!!

ALL THE SOUNDS YOU USE IN YOUR ENTRY MUST BE REAL WORLD SOUNDS (WHETHER RECORDED BY YOURSELF OR FOUND ELSEWHERE) FROM OBJECTS OR SOURCES NOT USUALLY CONSIDERED 'MUSICAL' ... ANY VSTi MAY BE USED AS LONG AS IT IS CAPABLE OF LOADING CUSTOM AUDIO FILES (ie - A SAMPLER OR SAMPLING SYNTH LIKE WUSIKSTATION OR SYMPTOHM:MELOHMAN) ... OBVIOUSLY ANY EFFECTS / EDITING / ARRANGEMENT TOOLS MAY ALSO BE USED

... when posting your entry you should (must ??? ) also briefly outline the sounds used and how you sourced / played / processed them (like last months SOLO effort it will then be up to the voters to judge how far you adhered to the contest limitations)

---------

the technical rules for this month are as follows -

1 - your track MUST be -

(a) encoded in .mp3 or .ogg format at 128kbps or lower
(b) no longer than 2 minutes running time
(c) named in the format month-year-artistname-tracktitle (ie - 10-04-artistname---tracktitle.mp3) with AT LEAST the artist and title fields of the ID tag completed (untagged entries will be disqualified)
(d) composed using at least some plugin instruments or effects
(e) entered into the contest by posting a DIRECT link in this RULES & SUBMISIONS thread (use the GOSSIP thread for everything else)
(f) submitted before the deadline (6pm BST (GMT+1) on sunday 24th october)

2 - your track SHOULD be -

(a) composed specifically for this contest
(b) original material / remix / or hybrid in any style

3 - only one entry per person - no resubmissions without permission from the moderator

4 - any tracks not adhering to these rules will be strictly disqualified

5 - voting (members must have at least 20 posts to vote) will run from the submission deadline until 6pm GMT on sunday 31st october - anyone voting for themselves will find ALL their votes disqualified - any entrants not voting will also be disqualified

6 - prizes this month ...

ALL courtesey of our friend alan at ...

1st prize - a FREE copy of their new library ... the LastLibs Acoustic Drum Kit ($200 value)

2nd prize - a $100 coupon off their new library ... the LastLibs Acoustic Drum Kit ($100 value)

3rd prize - a $75 coupon off their new library ... the LastLibs Acoustic Drum Kit ($75 value)

... visit their forum here - http://www.kvr-vst.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=46 - for more info or to ask any questions ...

(IF YOU ARE A DEVELOPER OR RETAILER who would like to contribute something please email or PM me with your offer - anything gratefully considered)
Last edited by pHz on Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

having missed out on the last 2 months contests (i kept telling myself i had time but didn't in the end) i was determined to get an entry in and as this month looks like a busy one for me i thought i get straight to it.

i went out yesterday clutching my £3 mic and an old tape record and recorded a bit of birdsong (the feathered variety not karaoke down the local pub) brough it home and sampled recorded it all to wavs.

using a load of smex stuff, some audiomuch, some metal mickey and a bit of reverb and eq this was the result.

Birdie Song

all noises are birds, although the rspb might having something to say if they saw me trying to coax a c2 out of a sparrow :hihi:

cheers,

steve.

This should be just my month as I do most with real non-instrument sounds. So I decided on two additional limitations to make it a challenge. No effects(!). Non, nada, zilch. Including EQ'ing and dynamics. Only Classic Master Limiter on the master channel. And samplers (never used one before, so...)

Well enough talk. Here it is (sorry for the uninspired title):

October song

Some of the "instruments":
Bubble wrap
Plastic bucket
Scissors
Bottle
Glass
Rice in a jar
Belly (mine)
etc.

Ok, once again I inflict myself on the public at large! :-o

Witness: CoffeeDrone

All audio recorded on an SM58 into a Behringer VX2000, thence into my Eurorack UB1204fx-Pro and then into the computer via the M-Audio Delta 44. Original take of talking, mouth noises, beating coffeecup on desk (all done by me in front of my DAW setup) recorded into Goldwave and sliced up into "events" and exported as .wav files. Project created in Tracktion and selected events loaded into individual tracks and copied or looped, then effects added per track. Here's the event/track layout:

Track 1: Vocal "boom-chock" processed via parameteric EQ, PSP MixBass, Murmur Pro, and Spin Audio 3D Delays.
Track 2: Coffee cup beaten against side of desk, processed via pitch shifter, MHC SpaceEffect, and PSP MixSaturator.
Track 3: Vocal "sssssshah" processed via More Feedback Machine and PSP MixSaturator.
Track 4: Vocal "Rough coughing" processed via Luxonix LFX-1310 and PSP MixSaturator.

No VSTi used, only VST effects (and plenty of those, as you can see from the above). It was kind of fun to make weird noises into the mic and then process the daylights out of 'em! This "tune" partly inspired by Kraftwerks "Musique Non-Stop". :P Oh, the coffee cup was empty, I had just finished it when I decided to enter the contest. :D
Bandcamp: https://suitcaseoflizards.bandcamp.com/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4kuy ... Dx4ziLn3ng
Now a Relay Radio DJ! http:/www.relay-radio.com

Keeping with the spirit of this month’s holiday I put together some kind of horror whatever the hell.

Lamb of Mary

Samples:

“Bell synth”: The top cover of my hookah (um…used only to smoke tobacco)
“bass synth”: Me blowing in a empty plastic coke bottle.
“snare”: Hitting a piece of paper with a pencil.
“bass drum”: coffee can
“hi-hat”: Full bottle of Killians Irish Red being played with markers.
“tearing sound”: Ripping paper
“creaking noise”: My shitty computer desk chair (also stars in some other tunes I have made.. unintentionally)
“child crying”: WAV found on the internet
“Lamb”: WAV found on the internet.

A pitch shift was used on just about everything.
The other “synth noises” are variation of the “bell synth” with different effects.
Almost everything was loaded into the tracktion sampler and played.

Hi all,

As I can't record any audio at the moment I used the "found" sounds clause to make my tune.

I assembled a percussion part using two soundfonts freely downloadable on the net. Pots n Pans and Basement.

Basements is basically a lot of things being hit etc. in someone's basement and the Pots n Pans are self explanatory really.

These I loaded into a couple of instances of sfz.

The other audio material was one sample from the movie Tron which I found on the net somewhere.

Other than the appearence of the sample in its entirety, all the melodic instruments were created with one fraction of that audio file - namely part of the word "Walter".

This tiny wav file I used to create several patches in my Wusikstation.

This was a really fun exercise and I was interested to see how you can use such innocent samples to create the sounds you might also create on a synth.

You Can't Stop the Wusik

(Feel free to hurl any insults at me in the gossip forum)

Caleb
Happiness is the hidden behind the obvious.

My submission was inspired by a conversation with Gordon last week, the intense hurricane season and the recently opened National Museum of the American Indian. In my backyard, I recorded my voice of course, an aluminum light cowling, our pasta pot partially filled with water, a penny, my old bicycle, some even older keys, a wire strung with beer bottle caps, a water pump submerged in a small pond and a Boeing 757-200. I also used the cool new Neodynium in Audio Unit format. :wink:

Fly Fish

(Cover art and lyrics)

This track uses sounds produced from just two coke cans - one full and one empty. You can hear that easily enough in the drums, all I did was change the pitch of some of them (eg, to make a bass drum). The leads and bass were done by taking *very* short samples from the recordings and using them as waveforms in the sampler, then applying filters and LFOs and the like.

This track was done in Reason (NNXT, Redrum and effects only, no synths) and then rewired into Tracktion and mastered via Final Mix, which hopefully scrapes me through the requirement to use at least one plugin!

The mp3 file is here:
http://www.elderwyn.com/gmusic/10-04-gwydi-canned.mp3

And if you have Reason 2.5, you can download an RPS of the track to see how it was put together (and to check I didn't cheat!):
http://www.elderwyn.com/gmusic/canned.rps

This was so much fun to do!! I haven't been this inspired in a long time. I never would have believed you could get so much from such simple source material. Thanks for the great theme!

Happy to say that I managed somehow to get a track together.

My theme Flyfishing:
REEL IN

Sounds
1) Clicks and various noises from an Orvis 4/5 fly reel loaded with 5 weight line
2) Clicks and noises from a 7/8 wt Orvis fly reel loaded with 7 weight bass bug line
3) Clicks from a heavy duty carabiner-used to hold trout net onto my vest
4) Fly reel lubricant spray can shaken
5) Trout stream pebbles in a crystal bowl
6) Sound of book pages being flipped

Recorded with a Behringer B2 microphone into an Aardvark DirectPro 24/96 Sound card into Sonar 3.1.1. Clips were prepared in Sonar and exported as short loops.

Manipulations:
The kind of HurdyGurdy sound first heard at approx 0.21 is a resynthesized patch made by importing four loops: two reel sounds, one pebbles in crystal and a book page loop into Cameleon 5000 The imported harmonics were messed with slightly.

Several Reel loops and shaken spraycan loops were loaded into Albelton live as audio loops and warped. Pebbles in crystal, carabiner click and reel loops were loaded into Live's Simpler instrument and mangled into a Marimba patch. Book pages noises reel loops and pebbles in crystal were also loaded in Native Instruments Kontakt 1.53 and mangled in sundry ways.

Midi effects used: Ableton Live's Random and Scale.

Audio Effects used: Abelton Live's Resonator & Grain Delay; PSP Nitro.

Performance:
Midi loops were then improvised and edited. Then a set of audio and midi loops were arranged in to scenes and the scenes linked to midi keys. I then performed the piece (while eating Fuzzy Peach candies) on an Evolution Mk249C keyboard. The resulting arrangement was tweaked for track volumes and panning envelopes an some morphing of the Cameleon5000 patch was applied.

The renderd wav was imported into Tracktion and mastered with FinalMix.

K-Dance

Samples entirely made with Kitchen objects, save a 'wind' breathy one.

Here is the list of my home made samples used in the track:
  • tchin1.wav
    tchin2.wav
    tchin3.wav
    tchin4.wav
    tchin5.wav
    tchin6.wav
    Vent1.wav
The whole track has been cooked up in FL Studio, usind several technics (FL Sampler, CA5000 resynthesis (only my samples were used) and effects, CronoX LoopSamp engine / only my samples were used) and tons of FX (FL native FXs, Reaktor Session, QuantumFX).

All samples have been recorded thanks to my SM-58 mike.

enjoy !

OK, tried to compensate for the high frequency issues in this, but it still lacks a little dimensionality compared to the uncompressed version. But here goes anyway.

This was recorded live, direct to disc, no overdubs and no sampler, using a hinged aluminum grille and a 4' by 4' sheet of safety glass with a fishman contact mic on each, bowed with serrated knives and a steel towel rack (for the squeaks) and occasionally smashed with a trash can lid.
Metal mic was routed through a boss distortion pedal, then into a laptop and through the crusherX-Live vapour mod section.
Glass mic (the low rumbling) was run through eq and compressor pedals and an Alesis Midiverb 4.
Laptop/crusher output and Midiverb output then run through an el cheapo dj mixer and into Audio Mulch on my desktop PC, where master reverb (Anwida Soft DX) was added. No final eq, just a limiter (Waves L2) at the end of the chain.

note: should be played as loud as possible for maximum effect.

http://dystonia.audioshot.net/elemental ... ckwing.mp3

Here's mine:

[url=http://katanaman.audioshot.net\10-04-Katanaman-Soda.mp3]SODA[/url]

Thanks for hosting, Gwidi! You ROCK!!! I'm hosting at my website now.

It's a simple, relaxing track. At first I thought of making this really hard percussion based techno track in my kitchen(call it Chef Techno). I changed my mind when I started recording. The glass bottle was just begging to be used and I couldn't resist. So I turned it into a Chef AMBIENT techno track.

The melody was done entirely from a sample of me blowing in a glass bottle loaded into NN-19. It came out better than I had expected. I'll use it in other tracks from now on!

I ReWired it into Tracktion, and the rest was all done in it. The percussion was me hitting the table as hard as I could(I'm not all that strong so it's quite gentle) with some delay, sounds of coins, the weird sounds are the sample of me hitting the table with BJ Wavechanger, me using a pan as a drum(those african drums you play with your hands, not the loud ones-don't know what they're called), hitting the finest selection of pots and pans with a pen(eh, pan and a pen-get it? Me neither). And to justify the title, a sample of water running(water's not soda but they sound the same!!!).

As for FX, I used the BJ wavechanger, Kjaerhaus master limiter, Ambience and the delay effect in Traction.

I sure am pleased with the result. I never thought that caveman methods would sound so good. :D
Last edited by Katanaman on Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

This submission has its roots in my initial thoughts when this theme was first suggested. Initially, I wasn't going to bother submitting this time around, but I figured - what the hey - its an interesting challenge. Getting this together has certainly helped me learn a fair bit more about the intricacies of Kontakt, and some of the more interesting effect plugs around, so I guess it has been worthwhile, from my perspective. I hope others find it worthwhile listening to.

The entire track is based on a single 2 second long vocal sample, recorded with the (suggested) el cheapo Radio Shack microphone. You will hear the original vocal sample pretty clearly right at the end of the track. This has then been sliced, diced, mashed and mutilated using a variety of VST plug-ins, including:
  • NI Kontakt
    Ohmboyz Frohmage, Quadfrohmage (demo version) , OhMyGod! - don't miss the Group Buy for these if you are interested
    echographz (thanks, scuzzphut!)
    Spinner2
    Classic Reverb
    and a bunch of Cubase VST's, including Double Delay, Reverb A, Ring Modulator, Q, Multiband Compressor, and VST Dynamics
This track is dedicated to Nuisances Sonores - may his spirit live on, even though he is unable to contribute this month!

You will find Protest at http://members.iinet.net.au/~aradunn/10 ... rotest.mp3

Enjoy :?:

Not having any better idea I'm complying to the subtheme as well.
As I need the black gold anyway, I thought I might as well aim a microphone at the creation process...
Percussion was made of the various clicks & plops the apparatus makes, all melodic stuff is this pling resynthesized in Vertigo, and the background noise is the continuous gurgling & hissing.

How do you want your coffee ground? There's the .ogg Arabica (which is a bit more compact but has a better aroma) or the .mp3 Arabica.

Tools used: A water heater/caffeinator, a Shure PG58 transducer, CoolEdit Pro, EnergyXT, 3S+Classic Compressor&Classic Reverb, DiscoDSP Vertigo+Smex Cyanide 2, Luxonix LFX-1310 (flanger+tremolo+pingpong delay)

Mr.Dishes

Dishes
sink

Return to “Music Cafe”