[Acoustic Soul] Plunge - Moving on Friday-REMIXED

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Great piece Jeff :love:
It instantly reminds me of Mary Black.

It's a complete work that can go on a CD..... but since you asked, this what I would do with it.

1 add some gentle wide chorus on the guitar.
2 loose the congas, replace it with tambourine? triangle or maybe just egg shakers.
3 where is the bass man?
I know, you wanted to do an intimate piece but a gentle muffled upright bass or an acoustic bass could fit real nice in here.
It doesn't need to do much just a simple hit one the first beat.

BTW voice and piano are just perfect.
What microphone are you using?

You also mentioned in the past that you use a pitch correction thing to clean up the vocals.
What are you using? is it software or hardware?

Thanks Jeremy and Andrew.

Jeremy, I can appreciate that comment about the bongos. I kind of like it, but maybe I will hate it sometime. Not yet. :) I don't think this is as strong a song as Almost Flew, but I'm happier with many elements of the performance in this one.

AndrewSimon, I'm a little anti-chorus on acoustic. Just a taste thing. Other comments are good too. Thanks.

I use a Oktava MK-319. $100 US... Not bad, IMO. These are Russian made and the technology is fairly old school, but they sound pretty darn good for $100.

I tweaked the vocals a bit with Melodyne, but I actually spent some time and got these pretty close before they got that far.

Going to check out who Mary Black is on iTunes... :)

plunge wrote:Hmmm. I had my friend in Nashville do the guitar part. I was actually bothered that it's a little noisy, but I was okay with the sound of the guitar. But yeah, I think he used a pick up and not a mic.
It might be the pickup-thing. A condensor mike (or even better: two) would get you a much warmer guitar sound with more body and less metal. You could always keep the pick up sound to blend in.

I saw your mike is the 319, which I like alot myself. What do you use for pre-amp?

Thomas

respirator wrote: I saw your mike is the 319, which I like alot myself. What do you use for pre-amp?
Thomas
I use the preamps in my little old Mackie 1202 board. They have always done nice preamps, even though it's nothing fancy. I do run the vox through a t-rax compressor plug after I record, too.

Return to “Music Cafe”