How do you like your Songs Reviewed?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.

How do you like your Songs Reviewed?

Honestly
27%
Critically
17%
Generally
2%
Generally
2%
Combination of the above
27%
Any response is better than non
20%
Other
4%

Total votes: 89

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Got to ask – what do you look for when you post a track in forums?

I know sound is a subjective thing – so when you post do you expect the same in return to the way you review others tracks?

Should be an interesting Poll – please feel free to expand if this is too general

Best regards,

Peter

I've only posted one tune here, but I was happy to hear what anyone thought.

I hardly do reviews because I don't know what to say. I feel like I can't say "I don't get it". I wouldn't mind if I got that though. I wouldn't mind if someone wrote "Rock is dead and you killed it."

Comments on my mix are nice. I get to the point where I can't objectively listen to my tune. However, when commenting on others' mixes, how do I know if they want it that way?

I appreciate reviews based on content the most, even if it's "The song sucks!"

Its nice for people to tell you all your flaws in a song but you still need a bit of encouragment.

It would be realy off putting if no one liked a song you made if you've put your heart into it. It might put people off thier hobby if you answer on honesty alone and it turned out to be bad.

I suppose it depends alot on how a review is written. Saying "its crap" is a bit harsh compared to "not my cup o tea" heh.

Constructive criticism has to be there tho otherwise people would never develop and it would be unfair to let them continue making "mistakes"

WoJ

Bake wrote:I've only posted one tune here, but I was happy to hear what anyone thought.
Hehe, I believe I was rather drunk when I reviewed it. :hihi: Nice song though! :D

It's good if people are honest, but they should have a clue what they're on about too - no use in saying 'this shit sucks man' or some such winternet lingo, if they don't have a) a clue about the style of music and b) any constructive criticism about how to improve it.

Comments about the mixing etc are always welcome - helps to have another perspective, but you don't seem to get many people on k-v-r who are prepared to dive in and go into the details of the arrangement etc, which is always more interesting to me. Cos this site is full of technoids! :hihi:

I like mine sunny-side up with a side of bacon :P

ATA

Hi

I think that any response is good Though I must admit that it stings when the crit is too harsh.. Sometimes I had my stuff saved by a timely crit that was honest.
Original Site: http://www.thetheoryofone.com

New site: Image

I chose 'any response is better than non'.
If someone listens to a tune of mine, and wants to critique the arrangement or mix that's fine with me. Just dropping in and saying hello I liked it (or it's not my cup of tea) that's fine too.
I'm not very good at giving constructive suggestions, but if I listen to something and like it, I do like to at least mention that.

I chose the "combination" option, although a simple "I listened" is enough to make you feel that your music is worth something.

grilla

Even though I have yet to finish a song on my new DAW so that I can post one--nearly there!--I chose Critically . . . meaning a review written not from an emotional level, but one that analyzes your work from a compositional and technical point of view.

I've written some reviews of songs that aren't in styles I listen to, and I try to avoid the "This is **insert genre** and therefore it's crap" point of view.

If you dislike a style so bad that you don't want to even hear the full song, don't bother posting a review. Barring that, tell me if the composition works, if the mix works, whatever.

But most important, don't just say "this and that" are wrong, offer suggestions on how to correct it or make it better.

AND, tell me what works and why. A little ego stroking never did anyone any harm. :hihi:
Last edited by emdot_ambient on Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

atomic_afro wrote:I like mine sunny-side up with a side of bacon
Mmmm. Bacon.

donkey tugger wrote:
Bake wrote:I've only posted one tune here, but I was happy to hear what anyone thought.
Hehe, I believe I was rather drunk when I reviewed it. :hihi: Nice song though! :D
:lol: so that's why I only understood about half of what you said! :hihi:

Bake wrote:
donkey tugger wrote:
Not bad going! More than I understood of it the next day. :hihi:

donkey tugger wrote:
Bake wrote:
donkey tugger wrote:
Not bad going! More than I understood of it the next day. :hihi:
I actually took some of your advice though and the vocals are much better sounding now. 8)

Can we say "Honestly Critical"? :lol:

I appreciate technical comments because it helps me tweak my technical skills, like comments on the mix, arrangement, etc.

Then it's good to hear how it made the listener 'feel'.

;)

Return to “Music Cafe”