for elliott smith fans

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

:?

Its so Short! but I like it, you caught the Elliot smith vibe. production is very garagey. I would like to hear more variation using the weird scales that elliot was so good at. I think that this could be fleshed out from a kind of snippet to a really cool song. Is all yer stuff in this "style"?

Woah your voice sounds very much like him.

I agree with SAP. This should be a short part of a longer song. Maybe second half of a chorus? Well done, though. Maybe a bit to wet on the vocals.

P.S. ES's best song was "Needle in the Hay"

S_A_P® wrote:Its so Short! but I like it, you caught the Elliot smith vibe. production is very garagey. I would like to hear more variation using the weird scales that elliot was so good at. I think that this could be fleshed out from a kind of snippet to a really cool song. Is all yer stuff in this "style"?
yeah i've been working in this style a lot as of late. i should try some weird scales.

Chase wrote:Woah your voice sounds very much like him.

I agree with SAP. This should be a short part of a longer song. Maybe second half of a chorus? Well done, though. Maybe a bit to wet on the vocals.

thanks. my current favorite is pitseleh, although i like them all.

Good tune man, and I'm with you on Pitselah being an absolute favorite from Elliott. Is anything as depressing as that song (minus maybe Leonard Cohen's Famous Blue Raincoat)?

I really like your song though, and I'm not sure it needs to be longer, in fact I was going to say you could probably get away with trimming off the last twenty seconds or so at the end, and use it as an opener for a longer work, kind of like Earlimart did with Hold On, Slow Down (which was also Elliott inspired). The only thing I'd change about the tune is the mix on the acoustic, I'd bring in more bass frequencies (maybe just close mic if you didn't) and just go for a drier more natural sound. Good good stuff though, this is a KVR keeper.
I'm sorry this post wasn't about techno.

Funkybot wrote:Good tune man, and I'm with you on Pitselah being an absolute favorite from Elliott. Is anything as depressing as that song (minus maybe Leonard Cohen's Famous Blue Raincoat)?

I really like your song though, and I'm not sure it needs to be longer, in fact I was going to say you could probably get away with trimming off the last twenty seconds or so at the end, and use it as an opener for a longer work, kind of like Earlimart did with Hold On, Slow Down (which was also Elliott inspired). The only thing I'd change about the tune is the mix on the acoustic, I'd bring in more bass frequencies (maybe just close mic if you didn't) and just go for a drier more natural sound. Good good stuff though, this is a KVR keeper.
thanks. good suggestions, and i'll check that music out. cool.

I have no idea who elliot smith is, but if you'd have titled this post "for Rockstarfx fans" I probably would have listened sooner.

Neat style. Your voice sounds good there. More stable than some of your other stuff... i think.

wow that was short...

Do you have more stuff put together out there? You don't seem to have a music site or anything.

Later

xerocreep wrote:I have no idea who elliot smith is, but if you'd have titled this post "for Rockstarfx fans" I probably would have listened sooner.

Neat style. Your voice sounds good there. More stable than some of your other stuff... i think.

wow that was short...

Do you have more stuff put together out there? You don't seem to have a music site or anything.

Later

Elliot smith is actually one of the best and most underratted/underappreciated singer/songwriters of our time. I suggest checking out his album "Either Or", and his self titled to hear him at his best. Then check out the later stuff he did for dreamworks. Figure 8 is really good, and Though I was alittle dissapointed by the production decisions made by his estate on "from a basement on a hill" the album is amazing.

Its a shame he killed himself in october of 2k3. I saw him in austin the may before he passed. He was so f**ked up on stage his show was not really that great. He will always by one of my 5 favorite artists though.

Chase wrote:Woah your voice sounds very much like him.

One of them anyway :)

S_A_P® wrote: Elliot smith is actually one of the best and most underratted/underappreciated singer/songwriters of our time...
After listening to the track here, i googled Elliot Smith for some reference, and read up a bit, listened to a few of the tracks online. quite interesting stuff.

I have only recently started getting into a wider variety of music than the usual audio brutality I put my ears through.. It helps keep everything in balance I suppose.

It's always a little wierd stumbling across a talented artist posthumously (sp?)...

xerocreep wrote:I have no idea who elliot smith is, but if you'd have titled this post "for Rockstarfx fans" I probably would have listened sooner.

wow that was short...

Later
yeah i've made around 20 songs this summer. not on the web. they suck for the most part or maybe i'm too self-critical. either way, i'm thinking about releasing a little EP to make some money for my trip to europe this summer, so be on the lookout heh.

when we gonna jam, kelly? :band:

Return to “Music Cafe”