A big ol' steamin vat of polyrhythms

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

herodotus wrote:
blaster78 wrote:unusual, some great melodies in here..... rolling off a bit of the cutoff (possibly on an lfo) might give it a bit more seperation as would some auto panning.

cool tho.

steve.

ps. deep strings would sound cool......
Thanks for listening!

And pleased to meet you!
you too mate :-P

hehe cool stuff
get some beats on there you drummer you :o

:shock:

SO very way cool mate! I like it! :)

Sounds like maybe you were arping in mixolydian or Hungarian minor scales? er sumpthin? ;)

I kept imagining a heavy backbeat coming in and then maybe a wandering super-low dub bass riff...

Inspiring! 8)

Cheers,
Alex

vurt wrote:hehe cool stuff
get some beats on there you drummer you :o
Thanks for the listen, vurt.

This is from a time when I had given up drums entirely, in favor of total musical alienation. :lol:

The midi file for this is one of the refugees from my old pc (saved through the archaeological computer skills of my pal Nick). This started as a bunch of dots on staff paper, then it became (about 5 years later) a midi file written on a really slow pc with a really cheesy soundblaster clone for a soundcard, finally becoming (via the magic of Tracktion and Krakli) what you hear here.

Glad you liked it!

Great sounding stuff, I'd love to see you build on this...

...xander wrote:

Thanks!!
...xander wrote:Sounds like maybe you were arping in mixolydian or Hungarian minor scales? er sumpthin? ;)
OK, there is no way I can possibly pass up such an opportunity to be a pedant.

First, I never use arpeggiators. Mostly because I don't know how, but also because I am a total control freak.

Second, the scale used is one of the 'modes of limited transposition' of Messiaen (others have given it a different name, I don't remember what). It has a symmetrical structure of minor second/minor third/minor second/minor third/minor second/minor third (e.g.: c, d flat, e, f, g#, a, (c)).

This scale, which has only 6 notes to the octave, is well suited to this sort of polyrhythmic noodling.

Thanks again for listening!

herodotus wrote: Second, the scale used is one of the 'modes of limited transposition' of Messiaen (others have given it a different name, I don't remember what). It has a symmetrical structure of minor second/minor third/minor second/minor third/minor second/minor third (e.g.: c, d flat, e, f, g#, a, (c)).
Maybe THAT'S why it reminded me of Messiaen! I had no clue, how funny...

herodotus wrote:
...xander wrote:

Thanks!!
...xander wrote:Sounds like maybe you were arping in mixolydian or Hungarian minor scales? er sumpthin? ;)
OK, there is no way I can possibly pass up such an opportunity to be a pedant.

First, I never use arpeggiators. Mostly because I don't know how, but also because I am a total control freak.

Second, the scale used is one of the 'modes of limited transposition' of Messiaen (others have given it a different name, I don't remember what). It has a symmetrical structure of minor second/minor third/minor second/minor third/minor second/minor third (e.g.: c, d flat, e, f, g#, a, (c)).

This scale, which has only 6 notes to the octave, is well suited to this sort of polyrhythmic noodling.

Thanks again for listening!
So cool for the rundown on how you achieved the nice juxtaposition of notes. I can see/hear now that you couldn't have used an arp to create it (dumb alex) :hihi:

Again -- well done! :)

Cheers mate

Voidoid Surrealist wrote: ....reminded me of Messiaen...

:o :o :shock:

That is the nicest thing ever said about something I wrote!

Yeah, I know, it was an obiter dictum, but still....Thanks!!!

Voidoid Surrealist wrote:Great sounding stuff, I'd love to see you build on this...
I don't know about building on, but there may be some stealing from.

Thanks again for the listen!

Return to “Music Cafe”