AAX Progress - Oficial Web Page

RELATED
PRODUCTS

A.M. Gold wrote:You're still adamant about not releasing the updated Win VST versions until you figure this Avid stuff out ?

I'm not only speaking for myself, I think, since the truth is PT is really just one among many actively used DAW's now.
The primary reason for updating any/all of these plugins in the first place is for AAX. I'm not updating these for my own pleasure, or because I felt that ValhallaVintageVerb or ValhallaRoom were lacking in reverb modes. The new reverb modes are a nice side effect of the AAX work.

More importantly, every Windows VST customer has a working copy of the plugins in question. The Windows Pro Tools users DON'T have working copies for Pro Tools 11. I didn't create this situation, but I have to deal with it. Avid is the one that dropped the tray full of dishes, and the plugin developers are the bus boys that have to pick things up. I tried to come up with a more self-pitying metaphor, but this is the best I could think of on short notice. :D

The beta release process for these plugins is pretty arduous at this point, as I am sending them out individually to people that request them. Before I send these out, I have to make sure that the person requesting the beta has the license for the plugin. I don't want to do this for Windows VST, and then repeat the process in a week for Windows AAX.

Once I have both OSX and Windows betas running, with VST/AU/RTAS/AAX, I can send out a mass email via MailChimp to ALL owners of a given plugin, with the links for both OSX and Windows installers.

Sean Costello

Ok, understood, obviously this is your company and your call. But it's been more than "a week" many times over so understand some frustrated anticipation on the part of non AAX Windows users as well.

You're downplaying the (unique, value added, etc.) quality of the new algos and maybe that's fair---you know better than anyone else, but still current users who know Mac people have had the opportunity to at least hear these have a reason to be slightly antsy.

I hope the obstacles can be overcome soon---I'm certainly not saying I envy what you're having to deal with.
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

Avid didn't accidently drop the dishes. They intentionally pushed the dishes over and refuse to lift more than a finger to clean up the mess. Which is why I personally wish busboys would just quit working for that restaurant... Or something. :D

robertszalapski wrote:Avid didn't accidently drop the dishes. They intentionally pushed the dishes over and refuse to lift more than a finger to clean up the mess. Which is why I personally wish busboys would just quit working for that restaurant... Or something. :D
Avid is actually fairly helpful. I'm going to drop the dishes metaphor as I'm pretty tired. Anyway, Avid's AAX SDK is the best documented plugin API by far. Getting the AAX plugins up and running on Windows took some work, but wasn't all that hard.

It's the f***ing Pace stuff that is killing me. Poorly documented, and the support is not good. At all. I suppose it would be better if I was using the full Pace Fusion SDK (i.e. iLok protection for my plugins), but there is no way I would do that.

Anyway, I've been thinking about this stuff, and I realized that getting the Windows VST stuff tested with the latest changes is far more important than Windows AAX support, if you look at the number of Windows VST customers versus AAX customers. Windows VST is probably my biggest format. OSX AAX is pretty close in size. Windows RTAS currently has the smallest number of users, and I presume this will hold true for AAX.

The upshot of this is, if I don't figure out the Pace signing stuff for AAX by this weekend, I will release Windows VST32/64 betas for ValhallaRoom, ValhallaVintageVerb and ValhallaFreqEcho early next week. I already have 4 of these up and running, so it is just a matter of building the installers. I have other tasks on the calendar through the end of the week, so I can't do it any earlier, but I can commit to releasing some form of Windows beta (AAX/VST or VST only) by early next week.

ValhallaShimmer and ValhallaÜberMod aren't getting any updates besides AAX, so I will hold off on these betas until AAX is ready.

Sean Costello

But... but... OS X AU or VST?
Brian Garrison
Tracks In The Box
YouTube | Facebook

b15fliptop wrote:But... but... OS X AU or VST?
Those are already included with the AAX betas. If you have a license for ANY Valhalla plugin and you want to try the OSX betas, go to the AAX page and send in a request. AAX 32/64, VST 32/64, AU 32/64, it's all in the betas.

I didn't do a very good job explaining the betas, I guess. I should have called the page "Valhalla betas." Then again, the AAX Progress page was a response to the deluge of AAX questions I was receiving at the time.

Sean Costello

Maybe I just have reading comprehension issues. It's probably me. Anyway, neat-o! Beta request incoming!
Brian Garrison
Tracks In The Box
YouTube | Facebook

Careful with that AAX, Eugene.

Any news on the Windows betas?
Tangled roots perplex her ways.

anxiousmofo wrote:Careful with that AAX, Eugene.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNnuDkZC5Ks
Any news on the Windows betas?
I received an email from Avid yesterday, asking if I needed help. The answer is YES, and THANK YOU!!! Hopefully this will accelerate the AAX ports. I have AAX building on Windows (as well as VST), so it is just the signing I need assistance with.

Sean Costello

P.S. Roger Waters has a GREAT scream...

Thanks for the update , Sean. Did you drop the plan for an earlier windows vst beta, sans aax? I could give a crap about AAX, meself.

The ValhallaVintageVerb Windows AAX is built and signed as of yesterday. I'm hanging with the family starting tomorrow. On Monday, I plan on building the Windows RTAS with the latest code updates. Beta installer (w/Windows AAX/VST/RTAS) by end of day Tuesday, hopefully. I'll send a mass email out via MailChimp to all ValhallaVintageVerb customers when this is ready for testing.

EDIT: The VintageVerb Windows AAX/VST/RTAS installer is ready, but I'm not sending it to every customer via MailChimp. I've decided to go with the same testing process I used for the OSX plugins, where people can request a beta via the AAX request page (http://www.valhalladsp.com/aax-request-form).

After the VintageVerb work, I'll be working on ValhallaRoom. Since the AAX and VST versions are already building, this should take a few days. End of next week is the current estimate.

Following ValhallaRoom, I'll release an open beta of ValhallaFreqEcho for Windows & OSX. I've updated the GUI, added some new delay sync options, and improved the mapping of the GUI controls to the lower level automation parameters.

ValhallaShimmer and ValhallaÜberMod will be the last ones ported to AAX. No real changes to these plugins, apart from the AAX ports.

Have a good 4th of July weekend!

Sean Costello

thanks!

Fudd loves Valhalla weeverbs

Is it time for the plugin developers to start a union, or a public relations body, that can cause trouble for DAW companies (or in this case a company that has huge influence over a DAW) when they don't behave professionally?

There has to be a better way of working than having to accept whatever clusterfuck Avid, or Steinberg or Apple throw into your laps. The balance of power is so one sided.

The 1.5.0b7 beta of VintageVerb is available for testing on OSX and Windows. New features:

- AAX 32/64-bit (in addition to VST 32/64 bit, AU 32/64 bit, RTAS)
- 6 new reverb modes
- some bug fixes.*
- New in 1.5.0b7:
- mono->stereo bypass bug fixed
- new code to deal with race condition bugs reported by some users

If you are a registered owner of VintageVerb and would like to test the new version, you can request the beta at

http://www.valhalladsp.com/aax-request-form

Please send any beta feedback through the Support form, so I can track it:

http://www.valhalladsp.com/support

I'll be posting Don Gunn's presets for the new VintageVerb algorithms later today.

Excited to get home and check this out. Also looking forward to the new presets. Unfortunately, a 13 hour work day is getting in my way!

Thanks, Sean!

Return to “Valhalla DSP”