Chorus and phaser plugin

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey Sean!

After playing with ValhallaSpaceModulator (which is awesome), just been really thinking what ValhallaChorus or ValhallaPhaser may sound like. I know you've already done ubermod, but I was thinking more like classic stompboxes, such as boss ce-5, EHX Small clone, rotovibe and univibe, EHX small stone, etc., which take advantage of your more streamlined, user friendly interface. Would love and pay money for a good chorus plugin that is as simple as my guitar pedals. Any who, just wondering this might be in the pipeline. BTW- you're awesome!

+1

I think UHE's synths build in chorus is my favourite. I would love to use something similar with other synths.

Valhalla Chorus already exists. If you want a simple chorus with fewer knobs, VSM (Valhalla Space Modulator) will do the trick (a chorus is a flanger with a longer delay time and no feedback). ÜberMod, of course, can also be a great chorus.

Valhalla Phaser would be cool. I think it could have, for mode the following options: 2-stage, 4-stage, 4-stage triangle LFO, 4-stage random LFO, 6-stage, 8-stage, 8 stage random LFO, 12-stage, 16-stage, 16-stage random LFO, 32-stage, 48-stage, diffuse 2-stage (have the phaser be part of a feedback loop, with an diffuser and delay line to give a reverb-like sound), alien planet (full figure-8 reverb tank, but with a modulating phase shifter in the feedback loop to give it an out-of-this-world quality). Knobs could be depth, width, regeneration, and manual.
Sam Trenholme — Software developer, electronic musician — Listen to my music: http://caulixtla.com/music

caulixtla wrote:Valhalla Chorus already exists. If you want a simple chorus with fewer knobs, VSM (Valhalla Space Modulator) will do the trick (a chorus is a flanger with a longer delay time and no feedback). ÜberMod, of course, can also be a great chorus.

Valhalla Phaser would be cool. I think it could have, for mode the following options: 2-stage, 4-stage, 4-stage triangle LFO, 4-stage random LFO, 6-stage, 8-stage, 8 stage random LFO, 12-stage, 16-stage, 16-stage random LFO, 32-stage, 48-stage, diffuse 2-stage (have the phaser be part of a feedback loop, with an diffuser and delay line to give a reverb-like sound), alien planet (full figure-8 reverb tank, but with a modulating phase shifter in the feedback loop to give it an out-of-this-world quality). Knobs could be depth, width, regeneration, and manual.
True say. I'm huge chorus fan (favourite band is the cure). With that said, not the greatest tweaker. Any chance you know how I may be able to get into similar ballpark as above mentioned pedals I.e. EHX small clone, clone theory, polychorus, rotovibe, univibe, boss ce-5....

Would greatly appreciate :phones:

+1, a dedicated phaser would be great!

I love phasers. Love, love, love them. I've always liked them better than flangers, mainly because I haven't been happy with the fixed sweep of most flangers (ValhallaSpaceModulator addresses these issues, at least for my ears).

I'm not sure if ValhallaPhaser would be something that a ton of folks are clamoring for. Phasers just aren't as popular as reverbs, delays, and other plugins that are "bread and butter" things that I'm not particularly skilled at (e.g. compressors, EQs). Still, I would have a LOT of fun working on a phaser plugin, and I have a lot of phaser ideas that I have accumulated over the last 20+ years. So it may happen someday.

Sean Costello

valhallasound wrote:I'm not sure if ValhallaPhaser would be something that a ton of folks are clamoring for. Phasers just aren't as popular as reverbs, delays, and other plugins that are "bread and butter"...
I would be very interested, there seems to be awfully few good options out there for phasers. My favourite ones are the Artsacoustic and the Simulanalog stuff but I'm a bit worried that these will sooner or later no longer work under current OSs since there's no more development going on. I'm primarily looking for big swooshing sounds like one can hear on some Tangerine Dream albums. To me stuff like e.g. the Phase90 sounds very different from this, it's also useful but usually not the kind of thing I'm after.

TD used to use a Schulte Compact Phaser.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-ZVdKsXZzo
https://soundgas.com/products/schulte-c ... 9658642053

The MXR Phase90 might be too transparent.

If you need a VST plugin to get that sound, and if you're willing to use 32bit plugins on Windows, you may try this one from WOk : viewtopic.php?t=195909

Ah, the Schulte Compact A! Used all over Tangerine Dream, as well as Kraftwerk, Klaus Schulze, and other German bands of that era. The "synth filter" processing the Mellotron in this track (starting at about 2:28) is probably a Schulte Compact Phaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8J2doVjui4

The Schulte Compact Phaser has a really cool frequency response, due to negative feedback around two phase shift stages. There is one big resonant peak, and then a bunch of notches. It's kind of a cross between a standard phase shifter, and a resonant synth filter.

I have often suspected that Brian Eno used a Schulte Phaser, or some other phaser with a "manual" control, on "Cindy Tells Me":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4s85zB94FE

Another favorite phaser track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNZmiLnR4f4

Yes! Those phaser sounds on Phaedra, so gorgeous <3

I vaguely remember looking at the schematic of the Schulte and trying to get something similar from Phasemistress (IIRC there's some control for feedback behaviour in there so you could in principle get the same feedback structure, I might misrecall the details this though as it's been some time since I tried, could be that I tried putting two in series when I think about it) but that didn't get me anywhere close. The basic Phasemistress tone seems to be too thin/focused/subtle (depending on what you want this might be good or bad so I think one could use both these descriptions depending on taste), more towards the style of a Phase90 or so. WOK had some emu of the Schulte but that's no longer available.

OMG Sean. Yes. Please. Do this!

Return to “Valhalla DSP”