Improving mono compatibility with big verbs

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

When using huge, long reverbs like the Taj Mahal preset in VVV, I'm noticing that the phase correlation becomes somewhat tenuous. I tried playing with some of the parameters to get a "tighter" sound, but was unable to find anything that made a big difference in that regard. Does anyone have any suggestions on creating lush spaces that hold up well when collapsed to mono?

Thanks.

Which preset are you talking about in VVV?

Also, are you listening to the phase correlation when summed to mono, or watching a phase meter? I wouldn't worry too much about a phase meter, as one of the main purposes of an algorithmic reverb is to create a wide stereo image through decorrelation. The term "decorrelation" means that the autocorrelation between channels is minimized, while preserving the spectral content of these signals.

Don't start with stereo and try to make it collapse to mono. Start with mono and get it sounding good. Put a mono effect on your master track. Add your reverb, adjust it until it sounds good. Disable the mono effect and enjoy the glorious stereo sound.

valhallasound wrote:Which preset are you talking about in VVV?
Also, are you listening to the phase correlation when summed to mono, or watching a phase meter? I wouldn't worry too much about a phase meter, as one of the main purposes of an algorithmic reverb is to create a wide stereo image through decorrelation. The term "decorrelation" means that the autocorrelation between channels is minimized, while preserving the spectral content of these signals.
I am using the Mod Taj preset. I noticed the phase meter initially, although now that you mention it, it doesn't sound as detrimental as it looks. Tinkering a bit with rolling off the low side signal on some of my pads helped out a bit as well.

Thank you both for the feedback.

Return to “Valhalla DSP”