AudioToCC

Official support for: thepiz.org
RELATED
PRODUCTS

does two things:
- sends a continuous CC signal following the audio envelope using RMS averaging.
- sends a fixed CC when the audio level (peak value) passes a threshold.

http://thepiz.org/pizmidi/AudioToCC.zip
wrongtastic, baby
tucson's number one gothic rock band since 1995

great !! i will try it as soon as possible. That's probably the most advanced audio to midi cc plug !

thanks a lot :hug:

Thanks a lot, Piz !
:love:

it works really nice! I like it :love:

the possibilities with this one are endless 8)
A guy walks into a laundry run by cats. "Excuse me", he said to the cat in charge, "Can you get milk stains out?" "Sure," replied the cat. "We'll have that stain licked in a minute!"

Can you explain just a few basic/common uses for a tool like this? I am out of the loop in this area. :) Thanks

vaisnava wrote:Can you explain just a few basic/common uses for a tool like this? I am out of the loop in this area. :) Thanks
Its fun for experimenting on unique ideas and obtaining surprising or even thrilling results.

A common use may be to give it some vocals for an imput, use the volume level of the vocals to modulate the wet level of a effect, so the louder the vocal is the more compression or reverb or EQ is applied.
A guy walks into a laundry run by cats. "Excuse me", he said to the cat in charge, "Can you get milk stains out?" "Sure," replied the cat. "We'll have that stain licked in a minute!"

thanks !:)
great plug.

I've been testing this plugin for a while under Ableton Live 8.2.1 (latest) and Windows 7.
The plugin is rock-stable, no crashes or glitches at all here, but I experienced something strange i want to share:
I tested AudiotoCC feeding it with really simple material: a 4/4 drumloop @ 120 bpm with just 4 *identical* kickdrums on the quarter-beats, and I recorded 8 bars of it with both audio and the automation curve obtained from the movements of a fader being automated by the plugin output.
What I noticed:
1) While recording, the automation curve was ever changing... I mean, the plugin listens always to the same kick, so it should output always the same sequence of CC values... or at least with minor variations...instead I noticed great variations while the audio material was just the same.
2) I also experienced a variable and random lag in the plugin response: sometimes the plugin reacts fast to the kick, outputting a peak CC value just a few ms after the kick attack... sometimes it reacts slowly (50 - 60 ms) and in an unpredictable manner.

I don't know if this is an host issue or a plugin issue.
Cerca almeno di essere l'uomo che il tuo cane immagina tu sia.

this is probably due at least in part to a limitation in the resolution of automation recording in Live... also, the direct host output of AudioToCC is close to sample-accurate, but sending it to a loopback port and then receiving it in Live again introduces some latency, and depends on how Live handles MIDI input.

i'll see if i can adjust anything to make it more consistent, but one thing you might be able to do to improve it is to use a smaller buffer size.

for the fastest response, also try setting Rate to 100, Attack and Inertia to 0 and Release to 30 or higher...
wrongtastic, baby

could you make the gate mode velocity sensitive (sending midi notes)?

i'd like to have an affordable trigger to midi plugin..
i tried all the trigger-to-midi plugins available, but i found that they always introduce a small latency time.
i just compared the behaviour of an akai lpd8 usb midi controller, with the trigger-to-midi plugins (using a piezo microphone or an original roland drumpad connectrd with the audio-in of my audio interface) in energy xt1 and xt2..
the best plugin is KTdrumtrigger, but again, it's performance is worse than akai midi controller.. i don't understand why.

now i'll make the same comparison using this plugin and a cc2note converter.. i'll let you know the results

small update, continuous CCs on right channel were being sent twice to the direct output.

i can add note output... don't know how well i can reliably determine the velocity without latency, but i'll try it.
wrongtastic, baby

insertpizhere wrote:small update, continuous CCs on right channel were being sent twice to the direct output.

i can add note output... don't know how well i can reliably determine the velocity without latency, but i'll try it.
mmh.. you could add velocity as an option..

My goal with Audio To CC is to use it as a synchroization tool, in order to send tap tempo message to my host (Reaper or Live) from an audio trigger to the host clock.
I managed to setup the proper routing, but in practice,the issue is that it sends tap tempo messages all the time, and so the tempo is changing all the time.
I was hoping to find proper settings so the tempo would have been "adjusted" only if needed, without luck.
Do you guys think of any workaround, or is it a "comdamned to fail" idea ?
Thank you !

maybe you could automate the "MIDI to host" switch and turn it on when you want to tap tempo?
wrongtastic, baby

Yes, but my dream would be to be able to play together in realtime with midi and pre-midi hardware gear, with the pre-midi drum machine sending an audio trigger to the host, which will send sequences to hardware synths, so i'd need an accurate synchronization for all this together...
I didn't think that Reaper tap tempo would be so sensitive ;)

Return to “Insert Piz Here”