DrumSpillage 2 Beta Thread

Official support for: audiospillage.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

If you'd like to discuss the DrumSpillage 2 beta please use this thread. All feedback welcome from bug reports to feature requests/comments etc.

AudioSpillage

Hi,

so far playing with the beta has been great fun! I have noticed though that drumspillage comsumes quite a lot of CPU on my macbook pro 2011. Would it be possible to have a switch on each pad to set them on or off?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers
M

Hello M,

Thanks for the feedback! Regarding CPU.. if a pad isn't playing it shouldn't be consuming any CPU. Are you experiencing a high base level of CPU even with no midi playing?

However, we have made a few code optimisations ready for the next beta. We've managed to get CPU down by approx. 20% although that depends on which models are playing. Some models consume more CPU than others.

We'll be making further optimisations over time.

Hope that helps,
AudioSpillage

Hey,

in fact, after some tests, I have noticed that the CPU use I see is the result of a behavior I cannot really understand.

My host is Live 9.1.1, on a macbook pro core i5 2.3 GHz. I have defined a default set with a few default vst's having each a default sound. One of the instruments used to be drumspillage, and has now been replaced by drumspillage 2. Now, when I open Live, my default set loads and I have a CPU load of 21% (other plug-ins are DIVA, Bazille, etc...). If I remove Drumspillage 2, my CPU load at rest decreases to 12%. Adding again Drumspillage raises the CPU load by 2% up to 14%. Do you understand why I get a constant CPU load of 21% withthe default set, and then removing and adding again Drumspillage decreases the CPU load to 14%?

I also did a test where I erased all of my instruments from the default set except Drumspillage 2. The load remained at 9-10%. I then removed and added again Drumspillage 2, and the CPU load increased from 0% to 2%.

Thanks in avance

Moscom

Not sure why this is happening but we'll check this out. Thanks for the detailed report!

AudioSpillage

Hi -

Loving the beta! I've just sent a bug report via email, but thought I'd put a feature request or two here in the forum. I would love (if it's possible) to be able to add more points in the envelope section, rather than be restricted to a simple ADSR envelope. Alternatively, for basically the same effect, could a "smooth" option be added to the step sequencer to smooth the transition between steps?

Also, it would be great to be able to click on a step in the sequencer, hold shift (or option, or whatever) and drag to create perfect lines of steps in sequence.

Thanks!

On my side, as far as I can tell, the CPU issue seems to have vanished :)

Thanks!

Moscom

moscom_electronics wrote:On my side, as far as I can tell, the CPU issue seems to have vanished :)
Great!

Morpion wrote:Alternatively, for basically the same effect, could a "smooth" option be added to the step sequencer to smooth the transition between steps?

Also, it would be great to be able to click on a step in the sequencer, hold shift (or option, or whatever) and drag to create perfect lines of steps in sequence.
It's on the to-do list. Might come in a 2.x update.

Thanks for the feedback!
AudioSpillage

Hi, I really like the sound of DS2. Unfortunately there are a few issues when it comes to working with it in renoise.

* loading a pad doesn't point to a folder w/ sounds/presets, it just opens up a standard finder window and I have to navigate to somewhere in library app support. This is not a renoise thing, but happens in ableton 9 as well on OS X 10.7.5

* can't change a kit using the arrows, on both renoise 2.8 and renoise 3.0b6

* can't change pads using the arrows, on both renoise 2.8 and renoise 3.0b6

Do you share release notes so I'd know when/if these get fixed? Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the info. We'll look into these issues. Do the kit/pad arrows simply not work at all or do they only kick in after loading a kit/pad?

AudioSpillage

audiospillage wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the info. We'll look into these issues. Do the kit/pad arrows simply not work at all or do they only kick in after loading a kit/pad?

AudioSpillage
Kit arrows don't work at all. I've loaded a kit using the "Beta->Beta1" menu item, as well as "load kit" and manually navigating to the presets folder.

Same with manually loading pads. So, no arrows working at all in renoise 3.0b6. I'm not sure about 2.8 because I don't use it anymore, I just ran a quick test last night (I recall that DS1 had the same problem).

I have encountered another possible issue within Live 9. I am currently trying to use assign physical controllers to the plug-ins I use, so that I can edit them with Ableton Push. To do so, I load the plug-in I want to work with on a track, go to its device and click the arrow between the on/off switch and the wrench, and use the Configure knob.

When I do so with Drumspillage 2, I manage to make new controls appear in the configure window, but:

- their name is quite cryptic (tuning for the first pad appears as something like 01:parameter 01)
- if I edit the control created by Live, the GUI of Drumspillage is not updated, whereas the control created by Live is updated if I play with DS2's GUI. Note that the sound is modified though...

For the first issue, note that setting the "autopopulate" function on in options.txt for Live actually sets up a list of controllers whose names are clearer. Nonetheless, edits on these controls are also not reflected in DS2's GUI.

Hope that my description is clear.

Thanks

Moscom

moscom_electronics wrote:I have encountered another possible issue within Live 9. I am currently trying to use assign physical controllers to the plug-ins I use, so that I can edit them with Ableton Push. To do so, I load the plug-in I want to work with on a track, go to its device and click the arrow between the on/off switch and the wrench, and use the Configure knob.

When I do so with Drumspillage 2, I manage to make new controls appear in the configure window, but:

- their name is quite cryptic (tuning for the first pad appears as something like 01:parameter 01)
- if I edit the control created by Live, the GUI of Drumspillage is not updated, whereas the control created by Live is updated if I play with DS2's GUI. Note that the sound is modified though...

For the first issue, note that setting the "autopopulate" function on in options.txt for Live actually sets up a list of controllers whose names are clearer. Nonetheless, edits on these controls are also not reflected in DS2's GUI.

Hope that my description is clear.

Thanks

Moscom
Thanks! Will look into these issues.

AudioSpillage

padillac wrote:
audiospillage wrote:Hi,

AudioSpillage
Kit arrows don't work at all. I've loaded a kit using the "Beta->Beta1" menu item, as well as "load kit" and manually navigating to the presets folder.

Same with manually loading pads. So, no arrows working at all in renoise 3.0b6. I'm not sure about 2.8 because I don't use it anymore, I just ran a quick test last night (I recall that DS1 had the same problem).
We'll be checking these Renoise issues out shortly. Shouldn't be happening.

AudioSpillage

Return to “AudioSpillage”