Major enhancement

Official support for: photosounder.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think you'd have a really killer app if you could toggle between a spectral display and a traditional waveform display, and edit in either domain. Of course I can always create a wav file and edit it in another editor, such as Audacity, but that could get old very quickly. If you could do both (even just basic wave editing) in Photosounder, it would be great.

dauod wrote:I think you'd have a really killer app if you could toggle between a spectral display and a traditional waveform display, and edit in either domain. Of course I can always create a wav file and edit it in another editor, such as Audacity, but that could get old very quickly. If you could do both (even just basic wave editing) in Photosounder, it would be great.
Why would you want that though? What can you do in Audacity that you cannot do in Photosounder? And you have a waveform display anyway.
Developer of Photosounder (a spectral editor/synth), SplineEQ and Spiral

A_SN wrote:
dauod wrote:I think you'd have a really killer app if you could toggle between a spectral display and a traditional waveform display, and edit in either domain. Of course I can always create a wav file and edit it in another editor, such as Audacity, but that could get old very quickly. If you could do both (even just basic wave editing) in Photosounder, it would be great.
Why would you want that though? What can you do in Audacity that you cannot do in Photosounder? And you have a waveform display anyway.
Some things are just easier to do in the time domain. You might be able to do some of them using layers, I haven't gotten into that yet. But I suspect they'd be easier to do the traditional way, and seem more natural. To be able to switch back and forth (rather than exporting/importing sound files and editing them in another software program) would, IMHO, be much appreciated by many of your users. Why not take a poll and see?

The waveform display can't be edited, of course. Actually, I'm not even sure what the purpose of it is. As someone else suggested, it would be nice if you could just turn it off, as it takes time to redraw whenever you make some transformation.

dauod wrote:
A_SN wrote:
Some things are just easier to do in the time domain. You might be able to do some of them using layers, I haven't gotten into that yet. But I suspect they'd be easier to do the traditional way, and seem more natural. To be able to switch back and forth (rather than exporting/importing sound files and editing them in another software program) would, IMHO, be much appreciated by many of your users. Why not take a poll and see?

The waveform display can't be edited, of course. Actually, I'm not even sure what the purpose of it is. As someone else suggested, it would be nice if you could just turn it off, as it takes time to redraw whenever you make some transformation.
Can you give precise examples of things you'd want to do in the time domain? Anyway, no, I won't do that, because that's missing the entire point of the program, which is you can do everything in the image domain, and it's no harder than by editing samples. It's just different, it makes you have to think differently, it's something else to get used to. I know that the whole thing with layers and operations isn't an easy step to climb, but once you do you'll understand all it can do for you.

Even besides that technically it wouldn't make sense since the whole program works on images, so how would what you do to samples would affect back the image? As for the waveform display, you can edit it by editing the image, they represent the same thing ;). Its purpose is so that you can see what the shape of your actual sound is like, it's easier to visualise the dynamics/envelope of your sound this way. And no I don't think it's what takes that much time, I think what takes more time is the smooth drawing of the image. Try the Force Fast Image Display option. Anyway if it just annoys you you can turn it off in config.txt, I think you can set its size to 0.

Can you give precise examples of things you'd want to do in the time domain? Anyway, no, I won't do that, because that's missing the entire point of the program, which is you can do everything in the image domain, and it's no harder than by editing samples. It's just different, it makes you have to think differently, it's something else to get used to. I know that the whole thing with layers and operations isn't an easy step to climb, but once you do you'll understand all it can do for you.

Even besides that technically it wouldn't make sense since the whole program works on images, so how would what you do to samples would affect back the image? As for the waveform display, you can edit it by editing the image, they represent the same thing ;). Its purpose is so that you can see what the shape of your actual sound is like, it's easier to visualise the dynamics/envelope of your sound this way. And no I don't think it's what takes that much time, I think what takes more time is the smooth drawing of the image. Try the Force Fast Image Display option. Anyway if it just annoys you you can turn it off in config.txt, I think you can set its size to 0.
Well, for example, just doing something very simple, like fading in at the start and fading out at the end. I'm sure you're right, it can be done in the "image domain" too, but I can do it in the time domain with just a few mouse clicks (in Audacity, highlight the start/end of the fade and click on a menu item to perform the function).

Please don't get me wrong, I think your program is great, I spent a couple of hours last night playing with it for the first time. I was just making a suggestion. If you think it's a bad suggestion, that's fine with me.

I'll try your suggestion about suppressing the wave form display, thanks.

dauod wrote:Well, for example, just doing something very simple, like fading in at the start and fading out at the end. I'm sure you're right, it can be done in the "image domain" too, but I can do it in the time domain with just a few mouse clicks (in Audacity, highlight the start/end of the fade and click on a menu item to perform the function).

Please don't get me wrong, I think your program is great, I spent a couple of hours last night playing with it for the first time. I was just making a suggestion. If you think it's a bad suggestion, that's fine with me.

I'll try your suggestion about suppressing the wave form display, thanks.
Ah yeah you can definitely do that with layers. It's quite simple really, you can draw the envelope of your fading envelope to a new layer, then use the Fill to Bottom function, then Vertical Average then set the layer's blending mode to Multiply.

Return to “Photosounder”