unsticky this

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ouroboros wrote:Some thoughts on the Alesis M1 520 Active Monitors (~$200 us) ...
Thank you VERY much for your review, ouroboros. I am looking exactly for that (in some future that is...) to at last replace my headphone-mixing at least in the times some young and old neighbours are out of the house (grrrrr). Will listen to the Alesis M1 you mention for sure. (edited to cut the lame joke i had made weeks ago :D)
Last edited by Klemperer on Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

...to revive an old thread which before christmas might be useful to some people, I now got the boxes with the name some not too bright marketing-designer has chosen - "Blow5" by infrasonic.
While these little boxes might not be too great on their own for people who make bass-heavy music (obviously in this area you need some subwoofer additionally for every brand) I rather like these ones by infrasonic. In the lower price range they seem to be very good value for money.

I've been using Behringer MS 40 for two years now. It's a really nice near-field monitor. flat as my belly.

I got a free pair of Bose Acoustimass 2.1 swivel head (2 speakers stacked that can swivel) plus the huge non-powered sub , I beleive they were for an early dvd/video system or general home listening. My friend gave them to me without the receiver/amp for it though, so I'm trying to figure out how I can use them with the sub, because the sub isn't powered and has hookups for speaker wire. I don't have a receiver, so another friend gave me an old 5.1 Sony receiver, but the sub output is for a powered sub. I see in the stores that these speaker systems themselves retail for (edit: not $1,500) :shock: :o . $399 retail on Bose site :oops:

I skimmed briefly through some threads and people were saying these are highly colored, not flat, super loud and make commercial stuff sound the best it could sound compared to mid level speakers. So they are probably not good for monitoring? Until now I only used a pair of Sennheiser HD280 headphones for mixing, coupled with Altec Lansing computer speakers and sub for a general idea of bass, and also a cheap Aiwa ghetto blaster shelf system to make general comparisons. Before I can invest in real monitors I need to get a flat panel lcd type monitor display, as this huge 17in CRT takes up most of my desk space.

Is it worth getting these small Bose speakers setup for a monitoring solution or should I just set them up somewhere else for general listening?

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/sho ... /index.jsp

metalifuxx wrote:I got a free pair of Bose Acoustimass 2.1 swivel head (2 speakers stacked that can swivel) plus the huge non-powered sub , I beleive they were for an early dvd/video system or general home listening. My friend gave them to me without the receiver/amp for it though, so I'm trying to figure out how I can use them with the sub, because the sub isn't powered and has hookups for speaker wire. I don't have a receiver, so another friend gave me an old 5.1 Sony receiver, but the sub output is for a powered sub. I see in the stores that these speaker systems themselves retail for (edit: not $1,500) :shock: :o . $399 retail on Bose site :oops:

I skimmed briefly through some threads and people were saying these are highly colored, not flat, super loud and make commercial stuff sound the best it could sound compared to mid level speakers. So they are probably not good for monitoring? Until now I only used a pair of Sennheiser HD280 headphones for mixing, coupled with Altec Lansing computer speakers and sub for a general idea of bass, and also a cheap Aiwa ghetto blaster shelf system to make general comparisons. Before I can invest in real monitors I need to get a flat panel lcd type monitor display, as this huge 17in CRT takes up most of my desk space.

Is it worth getting these small Bose speakers setup for a monitoring solution or should I just set them up somewhere else for general listening?

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/sho ... /index.jsp
No. Do NOT use the Bose speakers for monitoring. My dad used to have those speakers and they were nothing great -- fairly muddy, very colored. The HD280's are good headphones.

BLUE SKY MediaDesk 2.1 I bought these and never regretted it. I really like them a lot for the money.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

ATS wrote:BLUE SKY MediaDesk 2.1 I bought these and never regretted it. I really like them a lot for the money.
About how much did you spend on them and where did you buy them?

mildonm wrote:I've been using Behringer MS 40 for two years now. It's a really nice near-field monitor. flat as my belly.
I have heard good things about them too. Mine were a present (the Blow5, and I am happy with them!). But the Behringer would have been an option for me too.

I've had Alesis 520's for a couple of years now. I love them and would recommend them.

I have noticed a really high frequency noise that usually washes out with cymbals and stuff, but it's always there when audio is playing. I only noticed it recently when I got a new firewire interface and tried to be really critical. It's like a hissing so high that it's easy to miss but it's there even in silent or quiet parts on commercial CDs.. It's really annoying now, and it's all I can hear.

My question is, where does this come from and is it inherent in digital audio? Is it just my cheap monitors?
.. colordeaf.net

tomg wrote:
You can still find [JBL] 4312s for $600-$800 a pair.
Holy shit! I have a pair of these that are being used as standby tables, given to me by a guy who didn't have room for them. Ahem, time to put them to better use!

//fnx
Every Potemkin village needs its idiot savant

Hey! Great thread I just stumbled upon...Has anybody tried the recent Deluxe version of the BX8a maudio monitors? I read this review today, but would love to hear from somebody who has actually installed these in their studio...

http://active-monitor.m-audio.en.audiof ... eluxe.html

skarnka wrote:Hey! Great thread I just stumbled upon...Has anybody tried the recent Deluxe version of the BX8a maudio monitors? I read this review today, but would love to hear from somebody who has actually installed these in their studio...

http://active-monitor.m-audio.en.audiof ... eluxe.html
I don't like those monitors... you have to imagine the bass or buy a sub woofer and that means more cash :shock:

A friend of mine has them in his studio he had to buy the subwoofer

I use Tapco S8 in my studio and Mackie MR8 in my bedroom... both sounds exactly equal because is the same quality and the bass response is GREAT so you don't need to buy sub woofer :D

mildonm wrote:I've been using Behringer MS 40 for two years now. It's a really nice near-field monitor. flat as my belly.
How fat are you? :lol: :wink:

On a serious note, 2 things I would question is that they have bass and treble controls; presumably you set to mid point and leave alone? Also, if you have a link cable between left and right, do you connect a streo out pair into the right cable from your audiocard / mixer? Thanks

Klemperer wrote:...to revive an old thread which before christmas might be useful to some people, I now got the boxes with the name some not too bright marketing-designer has chosen - "Blow5" by infrasonic.
While these little boxes might not be too great on their own for people who make bass-heavy music (obviously in this area you need some subwoofer additionally for every brand) I rather like these ones by infrasonic. In the lower price range they seem to be very good value for money.
Never heard of these! Terrible name, nice looking speaker. I'm impressive that it has XLR input!

Curious: what's the "Acoustic space control switch" do?

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”