Force-installing 32-bit drivers in 64-bit Windows, for use in 32-bit apps only, somewhat possible?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As it turns out, I will eventually migrate to Win7 x64 as a more regular OS environment but still require the use of hardware and software, whose drivers have only been made for 32-bit OSes.

However just yesterday I was looking for a 64-bit compatible virtual MIDI cable driver (LoopBe1 Free), which worked fine but I wasn't quite happy with its tendency to mute itself when too many MIDI events are being passed through as if it were feedback. (Payware version has option to disable. :\)

...so I decided to try MIDI Yoke anyway. Naturally, Device Manager will not allow 32-bit drivers to be installed on a 64-bit OS, but after some reading on the midiox forums, lo and behold, the MS installer for MIDI yoke installs the drivers anyway (as long you're running setup as admin, or UAC is off) not in device manager, but it appears in ALL 32-bit programs as if it was installed as a device!

This goes true with the SW1000XG's SW+DS ASIO driver I have, since it had a setup program it appears in all 32-bit programs... though I haven't had luck installing the actual soundcard yet since it doesn't have an installer to install its drivers with.

Perhaps I'm just cynical, but it seems it's definitely possible to run 32-bit drivers of some kind under a 64-bit OS, if MIDI yoke is able to be installed, 32-bit applications can see it, and functions 100%.

So I'm wondering, if there's any useful information out there to help edit driver .inf files to those that will work with x64 Device Manager, or some kind of method to port these drivers in one's own installer and force-install them through it.

Hoping someone out there knows something.

MaliceX wrote:As it turns out, I will eventually migrate to Win7 x64 as a more regular OS environment but still require the use of hardware and software, whose drivers have only been made for 32-bit OSes.

However just yesterday I was looking for a 64-bit compatible virtual MIDI cable driver (LoopBe1 Free), which worked fine but I wasn't quite happy with its tendency to mute itself when too many MIDI events are being passed through as if it were feedback. (Payware version has option to disable. :\)

...so I decided to try MIDI Yoke anyway. Naturally, Device Manager will not allow 32-bit drivers to be installed on a 64-bit OS, but after some reading on the midiox forums, lo and behold, the MS installer for MIDI yoke installs the drivers anyway (as long you're running setup as admin, or UAC is off) not in device manager, but it appears in ALL 32-bit programs as if it was installed as a device!

This goes true with the SW1000XG's SW+DS ASIO driver I have, since it had a setup program it appears in all 32-bit programs... though I haven't had luck installing the actual soundcard yet since it doesn't have an installer to install its drivers with.

Perhaps I'm just cynical, but it seems it's definitely possible to run 32-bit drivers of some kind under a 64-bit OS, if MIDI yoke is able to be installed, 32-bit applications can see it, and functions 100%.

So I'm wondering, if there's any useful information out there to help edit driver .inf files to those that will work with x64 Device Manager, or some kind of method to port these drivers in one's own installer and force-install them through it.

Hoping someone out there knows something.
Sounds like its loading virtual drivers. You may be able to force some drivers to install but the stucture of 64 bit drivers is totally different, resulting in big problems. I did this a few years back with maudio 32 bit drivers, I copied them from 32 bit windows onto 64 bit windows , it all seemed fine, til I used the sound then BSOD. The drivers need to be rewritten for 64 bit. Theer are guides on the net for trying to force 32 bit drivers to install but Ive never seen anyone have success.

These things can mess up Windows to the point of needing to format/re install so BE CAREFUL, DONT DO THIS ON A RELIED UPON WORKING SYSTEM. Having said that, heres some info :

http://www.vistax64.com/drivers/69141-h ... 4-bit.html

UltraJv wrote:These things can mess up Windows to the point of needing to format/re install so BE CAREFUL, DONT DO THIS ON A RELIED UPON WORKING SYSTEM. Having said that, heres some info :

http://www.vistax64.com/drivers/69141-h ... 4-bit.html
Followed the URL to another URL, to a 404...but the topic gave me a bit more context to finding something else on my own: http://www.techenclave.com/operating-sy ... 45539.html

I'm going to give this a shot with my PC. I'm not fussed about losing the Win7 partition, as it's not my primary OS on the desktop, thanks for the response and warning. :D

EDIT: Damn it, even tried modifying the INF file to conform for 64-bit platform force-install, but it doesn't work. Device manager is too smart. :\

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”