Salvage data from hp nc6230 laptop

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a hp laptop nc6230 that the university made us buy and its not working anymore ie can't even power up. I want to salvage the data on the hd and already know how to disconnect it but what then, how do I hook up this hard drive so i can get the data from it, do i need an adapter or special usb cable. Would very much appreciate any advice.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

You need IDE to USB adapter. Google 'USB to IDE' and make sure it supports IDE 2.5". I'm using Unitek adapter from some time and it works fine. It will work, unless your drive is dead.

Much thanks
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Zombie Queen wrote:You need IDE to USB adapter. Google 'USB to IDE' and make sure it supports IDE 2.5". I'm using Unitek adapter from some time and it works fine. It will work, unless your drive is dead.

Thanks, do you or anyone else know if this would work for the hp model nc630? It supports IDE 2.5. Should I open the HP and pull out the HD for the specific make and model etc? Just don't want any surprises.

http://www.amazon.com/sabrent-Converter ... B000HJ99DI

TTU Youtube

IDE/SATA are well established standards and that adaptor appears to meet all of them. By all means you can post a picture of your drive connectors for us to confirm, but I'm 99% certain that'll do the job for you.

The HDD dock is just one of the most usable things I have bought :tu:

Instead of holding on to old computers because of stuff I have on their HDD's, I screw the HDD out of the PC, put it in the HDD dock, which I then can access on my main computer. The old HDDs becomes like big "USB" keys

The I can just recycle the rest of the old PC gear, and get free space in storage

Thanks for the replies! I am just about to make the purchase buy I noticed the usb 2.0 is a little cheaper than the usb 3.0, both support IDE 2.5. Is it still safe to get the usb 2.0? What's the difference between them, just speed?

TTU Youtube

Speed is pretty important though.

USB 3 can be up to ten times as fast as USB 2

Even though it might be more expensive, time is also money :wink:

Numanoid wrote:Speed is pretty important though.

USB 3 can be up to ten times as fast as USB 2

Even though it might be more expensive, time is also money :wink:
Thanks for you quick reply Numanoid:) At most there would just be 1 or 2 gigs to transfer and I'd only be using it one time, so if I can safe a little, I would like to. Plus I need some blank dvd's for backup. From your reply I'd say its safe to grab the 2.0 and that it will still work, albeit slower? I have it in the shopping cart and waiting for your answer to check out 8)

TTU Youtube

USB 2.0 is the connection between the dock and the PC.

According to this info, your laptop comes with 2xUSB 2.0 ports, so you are covered:

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocumen ... =c04287208

Numanoid wrote:USB 2.0 is the connection between the dock and the PC.

According to this info, your laptop comes with 2xUSB 2.0 ports, so you are covered:

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocumen ... =c04287208
Cool! Thanks a lot Numanoid for the link :tu:

TTU Youtube

Sorry, I misread your OP slightly, thinking you wanted to connect your laptop to the dock.

Anyhow, when it comes to USB connectivity it shouldn't matter that much as according to info:

"all USB 2.0 devices will work on USB 3.0 hardware, and (nearly) all USB 3.0 devices will work on USB 2.0 hardware."

http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/usb_3_explained.html

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”