Anyone using a New Mac Pro yet?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm saving up for it, nearly there, it's saved in my Apple Store-cart already, around 12 k (EUR) are waiting to be spent (including 2 new monitors).

Sampleconstruct wrote:I'm saving up for it, nearly there, it's saved in my Apple Store-cart already, around 12 k (EUR) are waiting to be spent (including 2 new monitors).
We need you to forge ahead with sounds design, where no man has gone before!

Are you getting the 6 core then? Apparently it sits at the sweet spot as CPU speeds go down as you increase the number of cores..

Upgrading the processor on the stock models seems prohibitively expensive, I'll upgrade the ram to 64 Gb (third party) and the SSD drive to 512 GB apple only at the present .
waves break, but somehow it all makes sense.

I'm getting the 6 core at some point - money's in the bank

fmr wrote:
ftech wrote:I just got a custom build Mac Pro a few weeks ago (6 core, 16gb RAM, 512gb SSD) and am in the middle of loading my plug ins (taking forever with re-authorising certain plugs).
Would you mind to say how much did you pay for it?
Not at all. I was offered the chance to buy as a business customer, so paid a little under $5000AUD for the custom build.

TwoToneshuzz wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:Are you getting the 6 core then? Apparently it sits at the sweet spot as CPU speeds go down as you increase the number of cores..
This is true, but single core performance is the same on all but the 12 core processors as
they Turbo Boost to 3.9ghz...just as long as thermal load is not excessive.
http://macperformanceguide.com/MacPro20 ... hoice.html

The higher core count CPU's also have more onboard cache which could be useful, it all depends on the programs being used. If Logic is programmed to take advantage of the GPU's in the future a 4 core Pro could be enough for quite large projects. I opted for the 6 core because, at present, it presents the best bang for the buck.

TwoToneshuzz wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:I'm saving up for it, nearly there, it's saved in my Apple Store-cart already, around 12 k (EUR) are waiting to be spent (including 2 new monitors).
We need you to forge ahead with sounds design, where no man has gone before!

Are you getting the 6 core then? Apparently it sits at the sweet spot as CPU speeds go down as you increase the number of cores..

Upgrading the processor on the stock models seems prohibitively expensive, I'll upgrade the ram to 64 Gb (third party) and the SSD drive to 512 GB apple only at the present .
I planned for the 8-core actually as Logic can use 8 cores max, my current one also has 8, my last cat was born on the 8th, I don't need 12, I don't do video editing or computer animation.

And judging form the stellar performance I am getting on my music laptop, a non-retina, late 2012 Macbook Pro model with the fastest Ghz they had available (I think 2.9), this next step should be an orgiastic one.

It's gonna be here mid April, 12-core, 32 GB RAM, two new monitors, one 27" Thunderbolt the other one a 4-k Retina/32" - I sold my soul to Apple...actually it's a 3-year-leasing scheme, quite cool, 0% interest.

Sampleconstruct wrote:
It's gonna be here mid April, 12-core, 32 GB RAM, two new monitors, one 27" Thunderbolt the other one a 4-k Retina/32" - I sold my soul to Apple...actually it's a 3-year-leasing scheme, quite cool, 0% interest.
oh no you did the deal!!! :party: :-o :hail: :-o :party:

I'm seriously fishing around for new gear to speed my workflow, I always get in trouble with CPU overload about 2/3 of the way into my session. I'd like about 40 to 50% more performance than I can get with my present iMac i5 3.1 Ghz Quad.

I'd go for a 6 core have found a good price from an eBay dealer in Germany. Now if I can just hold off 3 months on buying anything at all, I'll almost be able to buy it outright.. Then upgrade it to 64 Gb ram and 2 tb SSd in a year.

TwoToneshuzz wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:

I'm seriously fishing around for new gear to speed my workflow, I always get in trouble with CPU overload about 2/3 of the way into my session. I'd like about 40 to 50% more performance than I can get with my present iMac i5 3.1 Ghz Quad.

I'd go for a 6 core have found a good price from an eBay dealer in Germany. Now if I can just hold off 3 months on buying anything at all, I'll almost be able to buy it outright.. Then upgrade it to 64 Gb ram and 2 tb SSd in a year.
I went with a 512 internal flash/SSD for apps/programs/assets and an external 2-drive Thunderbolt system with 8TB for samples/videos/all other files, that should be enough for now, and I can still use all my other drives via the Firewire adapters if needed. I also got Airpot Extreme on top and 2 new keyboards, one wireless which I can take into the recording room and one with the extra number block on the right without which I can't live, unfortunately the latter is not available as a wireless version anymore, so I had to get 2.

Sampleconstruct wrote:
TwoToneshuzz wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:

I went with a 512 internal flash/SSD for apps/programs/assets and an external 2-drive Thunderbolt system with 8TB for samples/videos/all other files, that should be enough for now, and I can still use all my other drives via the Firewire adapters if needed. I also got Airpot Extreme on top and 2 new keyboards, one wireless which I can take into the recording room and one with the extra number block on the right without which I can't live, unfortunately the latter is not available as a wireless version anymore, so I had to get 2.
I think I'll use the internal 256 Gb for samples, and use my present TB external for the system for now, and use a usb 3 hard drive for projects and photos. I'll use the iMac screen for the first year then upgrade to a extra screen when I get more funds..

Apparently you can use thunderbolt to network between computers now for sharing resources as well. So I could potentially just access the internal drive on the iMac for loading the project files onto Mac Pro

Sampleconstruct wrote:
That's twice the machine I have and I think mine is a beast :o :hihi:
Fun times coming up for you Simon :tu:

ftech wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:
That's twice the machine I have and I think mine is a beast :o :hihi:
Fun times coming up for you Simon :tu:
Yes, indeed - April 14th a new journey begins - can't wait to re-install all those apps and plug-ins :help:

Bought a new iMac last year and I haven't yet hit the CPU limit. Of course I'm lusting too for the black paper bin, but 4500.- CHF (about 4700.- USD) for the starter 6-core (with only 256GB internal drive) is just ridiculous and not appropriate.

An 8-core with 32GB RAM and 512GB storage is over 7k... geeee, give me a break.

Glad I'm not in the need of that much CPU-power.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

Holding out for the next version. 6 core is the sweet spot for Photoshop which is my main justification/rationalisation.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”