What to do after Windows XP dies in April 2014?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Posted one of these before on the subject. Here's another one. A bit more up to date.

There are a couple more things he has to say also, but you will find the links when you rtfa.

From my good man Dedoimedo:

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/wind ... -life.html

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/wind ... death.html

Just a heads up, fyi, type of post from me. I'll be using XP till my compo blows its load. I mean, I have to keep that machine in perfect state just to run Albino and the like. God gave us the golden glory age of computers, and I'm not going to blow it out on a wet fart. End of the road. Machine built. One getting built for backup. No need to buy more software, especially seeing as it is not being supported. It's understandable. I hold no grudges. The world moves on. In the meantime. I am a hairy little hermit in my cave...

:-)

Where to go now chaps? Windows 7 was the clusterfuck of all Operating Systems, while it did work pretty good for the most part. The bits that it didn't were f**king sinister. Virtual folders, being the latest atrocity that I have found out about. Three f**king years into my research. God knows what else there is to find. It's just good to know you're not going mental. (Any more than usual). Virtual folders. My sweet bejabers. What an abomination is man. And his mind. And the Microshit coders.

I so want BitWig to work on Linux. But that will be another political nest of vipers, I tell ye. Argh Arggh... Me mateys, set sail, hoist the flag and let the cat out of the bag. It's Rum, Sodomy and the Lash, for me.

(Not sure why I went off on a pirate one there - no reference to dodgy software, at all. Maybe new lands. Undiscovered lands. Uncertainty. And a pioneering swashbuckling spirit being called for)

And remember, if you meet me at a party, don't tell me you work for microshaft. I'll poke yer eye out with me sabre. Argh arggh... So I will...

Albino works fine on Win7, Win7 works fine here.

Just unplug your internet cable and keep on running things like its 1999
:borg:

Windows 7 has been my favourite so far (and I started with 3.1), XP was second best, in between there was some awful rubbish! I agree that virtual folders are not good but it is easy to avoid using them

finally. you retrogrades always keep screaming and kicking while we drag you into the future.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

I ended up just buying a Macbook

Really, what I would like to do is virtualise all my clones/images and have them at hand on my new supercomputer/daw.

This article goes some way to explaining stuff. I'm still early in the game. But I'm f**ked if I am just going to throw away all those years of work either because my computer blew up or microslut decided to stop supporting it. The irony that they have gone a long way to developing this new stuff is not lost on me. But it's war. You take what you can and give no quarter...

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/LessVirtu ... ToVHD.aspx

I'm not too pissed off about developers not supporting old stuff, like impOSCar on win7 for example. They have to draw the line somewhere and look to the future. I don't have to do anything. Just find a system that supports my software.

In an ideal world, in fact, what I am actively working TOWARDS, is to drop win7 all together and build a virtual system for winxp sp3, that runs like a dream. Or shit off a blanket. Depending on your crudeness of metaphor.

It's been fun. I've enjoyed buying your software. But, it's done now. It's become an obsession and that is a good reason to kill anything. Those of you that will still keep developing winxp compatible software, I will keep buying.

I checked the other day. I have far too much stuff that only has support for win7. That is not on. I'm going back to the future baby.

:-)

Anyway that is a great article. I have loads more if you are interested. It is looking more and more viable by the day. But the hours will need to be put in. That is ok. New hard disks too, coz virtualisation is super hungry on that front. Especially so because of the dynamic nature of the disks. Any one that has used virtual machines at all will know what I am talking about. A 20 GB disk is not a 20 GB disk, even if it has 15 GB free. And even if you move the other 5 GB about, it will still eat up your disk. Maybe someone else that knows more about this and plays about with this more than me can explain, but just be warned. This can turn out to be a more expensive game than you bargained for.

But what price compatibility. To have all your old computers that you imaged/cloned on a VHD (Virtual Hard Disk). That is a true dream come true for me, and a goal worth pursuing. Not just technology for technology's sake.

Read the article.

I run winxp off ram off of a usb stick (knoppix) and it blazes. It blazes harder and faster than win7 for sure, but it blazes even faster than if i had it on hd. It's a pain setting up your Video drivers and sound card stuff, but it can be done. And when it works it works perfectly.

I'm in danger of going off on one. So I will just shut up now.

V0RT3X wrote:I ended up just buying a Macbook
Will Win XP still work on those after April?

Maybe Windows 9 will be like XP ... I hate Linux for a DAW been there don't like it . I gave it a good go , I made a song once using Ardour and connected Hydrogen to it for some drum action but I just didn't care for connecting apps together using JACK . Also FireWire is not fun on Linux. I may give Bitwig a go on Linux ? I use Windows7 and I like it better than XP to be honest . I also dislike 8 8.1 and the newer version of OSX , I upgraded my wife's laptop for free and she was like the track pad scrolls backwards now . lol . I also hate ios7 . Android user here , but we have an iPad mini giving to us for free what a p.o.s. of an OS that is ios7 ..... Linux and Android are my favorite . I use Windows 7 only for DAW and VSThosting duties ....

Kriminal wrote:
V0RT3X wrote:I ended up just buying a Macbook
Will Win XP still work on those after April?
Yah just use a Virtual Machine and keep the clock set back always. :lol:

Honestly I don't know how Windows XP runs on it I've never tried the Virtual Machine, but I am tempted.

Kriminal wrote:Albino works fine on Win7, Win7 works fine here.
You are right Krim.

Albino works like a dream for me too here on win7 (now that I have figured out why it never saves any patches and never reloads any patches because it has been 'naughtyboxed' by the microsoft developers and its shit put into a virtual folder - f**king nightmare - moral of this story - DO NOT USE SECURITY ON WIN7 - LEAVE YOUR SYSTEM WIDE OPEN TO VIRUSES - COME AND GET ME - and you will be fine - even then it will still be sent to the naughty step probably because microsoft don't like the way Peter codes his software. But he is not alone and this is all in retrospect and no one can be expected to see into the future. That is why what microsoft are doing is so unfair and unreasonable).

I'm just worried about what will happen six months or a year or two down the line, when microtwat decide to move the goal posts yet again. Peter won't be keeping up with that, nor can he be expected to be. He is being prudent before the storm. He knows what is coming and does not want to be held responsible.

Maybe someone like Whyterabbit can step in here and tell me I've got the wrong end of the stick. He knows a lot more about this stuff than I do.

Back to Peter from LinPlug:
He is at their (microsoft) mercy. As we all are that use the software.

I recently 'took ownership' (look it up) of my vst folder, and impOSCar v1 stopped working and crashed all my hosts on exit. I mailed the boys and they said, sorry, we do not support this software any more on your OS. Please use impOSCar v2. Good job I have bought impOSCar v2. I don't blame them. It's cool. These days it is just nice to get a reply back from a developer when they are all so much up their own arseholes. :-).

Anyway, this little OS tweak f**ked every single project I have using impOSCar.

Yes, Albino works fine now. But what if you needed to do that tweak, or did anything and were at the whim of that software? Do you think Peter is going to spend a day or two sorting it out for you? No. Just like the impOSCar scenario, he will say 'Sorry, can't help you'. Because even if he wanted to, he does NOT UNDERSTAND what the f**k is going on with microshit and their obtuse and arbitrary use of their OS. He couldn't even figure it out if you gave him 20 grand and six months lookee here time. Well maybe he could, but you know...

Alles klar.

V0RT3X wrote:Just unplug your internet cable and keep on running things like its 1999

Ah, the Prince defense.

I like it.

Keith99 wrote:Windows 7 has been my favourite so far (and I started with 3.1), XP was second best, in between there was some awful rubbish! I agree that virtual folders are not good but it is easy to avoid using them

I bow to your superior wisdom, because I like to think I'm up on the game when it comes to this stuff. But I only found out that virtual folders even existed a couple of weeks ago. By accident. And I've been using win7 for a few years. But it seems I am not alone. How do you stop using them if you don't know they even exist? It is not a common topic amongst people.

You must be a pretty clued up and a serious power user to make this statement, is all I can say.

Apart from, 'how do you avoid them?'.

I have read articles but it seems pretty convoluted to do so. It's not like you can just flick a switch.

Is it?

Do you have any further reading, where I can study how to do this?

Continue using it as usual.

Never change a running system.

Anyway a computer connected to the internet needs a good firewall (e.g. inside the router) and a good antivir software. Doesn't matter it's XP, W7 or W8 then.
ImageImage

Burillo wrote:finally. you retrogrades always keep screaming and kicking while we drag you into the future.

That's pretty funny. As in, it made me laugh. And I see the humour in what you are saying.

But have you ever used windows7 at all? Maybe you are a mac or linux user.

If you come back and tell me you use win7, my whole attitude towards you will change.

Really, you don't use win7 do you? Serious question. Would love to know.

I think you are just being super ironic because you have never left win98. Or ME perhaps? 95?

;-)

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”