MIDI to USB adaptor cable for Win 8 64 bit

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, has anybody managed to get one of the cheap (under £5.00) MIDI to USB adaptor cables from Ebay (or Amazon) working with Windows 8 64 bit? I bought one the other day, for £3.99, but it doesn't work, and the seller told me (without mentioning it in the auction) that it won't work with 64 bit systems.
If none of them work I'll happily buy a £15 cable from Digital Village, etc. as long as it works.

The strange thing is that the USB to MIDI cable I already have, I bought in July 2011, for £3.99 on Ebay, and it works fine with Win 8 64 bit. But it says 'Pluscom' on it, and doesn't like the hundreds of £4 - £5 ones on Ebay, it has a different shaped case.

The bizarre thing here is that apparently you didn't even test the cable you already had, when you decided to buy another one.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Most of those things are class compliant, so shouldn't need drivers.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Like anything in life, you get what you pay for.

In other words, they are cheap for a reason. :shrug:
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

BertKoor wrote:The bizarre thing here is that apparently you didn't even test the cable you already had, when you decided to buy another one.
Huh? The cable I already have works fine... This is what I wrote in the post immediately above yours:
The strange thing is that the USB to MIDI cable I already have, I bought in July 2011, for £3.99 on Ebay, and it works fine with Win 8 64 bit.
How did you work out from that, that I hadn't tested the cable I already had? I've been using it for over two years!

My point was that I had bought a cable three years ago, which works fine with Windows 8 64 bit, but the new cable I bought doesn't, the seller has now told me it doesn't work (the auction didn't mention this), and most of the other cheap cables on Ebay say they are compatible with up to Win 7 32 bit - but I didn't notice any of the 'proper' cables saying they ARE compatible with Win 8 64 bit either. I looked on the Digital Village site, the ones I looked at on there didn't mention which OSes they were compatible with, etc. I am happy to spend £20 on something that works, it will last me ten years or more, so that's no problem, I was just wondering what other people are using.

I only want a MIDI to USB cable because I have Windows 8 and it doesn't work with my X-Board 61 via USB. As soon as you turn it on, it lights up for a split second and then turns off. I think it's something to do with the way Win 8 handles USB devices, something very odd going on there.

Ben H wrote:Like anything in life, you get what you pay for.

In other words, they are cheap for a reason. :shrug:
What, so you're suggesting none of them work? Or that the chips in the more expensive ones are 'better'? It's just a driver issue, I would imagine.
Like I say, I have one I bought for £3.99 in 2011, and it is working FINE... but I have another X-Board and want to plug that in (in another location - I access my PC from two rooms using extension leads, so there is no PC noise when I write music in either room).

whyterabbyt wrote:Most of those things are class compliant, so shouldn't need drivers.
Hi whyterabbyt, when I plug the new one in, I think something came up briefly about 'installing device', and in FL Studio I can see it as an input device in the MIDI section, and it has exactly the same name as my old (working) USB to MIDI cable has, but no MIDI data goes through it. I've made sure both keyboards are working fine by swapping them over with the new cable, made sure I tried both of the cable MIDI connectors (I have the one marked 'In' going into the MIDI 'Out' port of my X-Board - it only has an 'Out' port, but I did try putting the cable marked 'Out' in as well, just in case), but still no dice. Everything looks fine as far as I can see, as I say, in all regards it shows everything the same as the old, working cable, in Device Manager it does appear as 'USB audio device', but so does the old one. It's most odd.

Anyway, I am happy to buy a £20 - £25 working cable of any brand or make, but can anybody tell me which branded one or ones will work with Win 8 64 bit?

The Edirol UM-2EX works fine for me on Windows 8.1 64-bit
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Thanks Nielzie, I will go for that then.

basslinemaster wrote:Thanks Nielzie, I will go for that then.
Be sure to download the latest Windows 8 drivers here:

http://www.roland.com/support/article/? ... d=62483077
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”