Is everyone here done with Windows XP?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Done when Windows7 was released.

Never went to Vista (the 98ME of upgrade path).

Tried xp windows7 dual installation, jsut never went or had the need to go back to XP.

Jumped to 8 and now 8.1. Very happy, use classic shell without any problem.

Of course if you have an older processor maybe not a good move to upgrade.

Personally very happy with 8.1pro x64

Numanoid wrote:I have a sleeper PC that I did a Windows Update on, just before XP went down.
Updates are still available.They just aren't making new ones.
You can also use wsus offline update to get a copy of the updates you need to do an offline install for your system, incase the Windows XP update site goes down.

A.M. Gold wrote:Just curious as to whether anyone who was running it until recently felt compelled to jump ship when MS dropped support.

I'm getting the impression there is no way to continue on with it (even though it works fine for 99% of what I'm doing) if for no other reason than developers are acting like it doesn't warrant their attention anymore (read: don't buy any new software, even though it might work, and don't even expect updates to work or be supported).

I'm a little perturbed but mostly because it will likely be a freaking pain in the ass to redo my system. It's certainly doable since I already own Win 7 but I'm not installing it twice so I have to do the whole 32 to 64 bit thing, which means I may lose $1200+ worth of UAD-1 plug-ins since I don't plan to buy (and can't possibly afford ATM) a UAD-2 card. There's also countless reinstallations and reauthorizations to deal with, yadda yadda.

In other words, it's no small thing to kill and resurrect my entire system.

Any advice anyone can give me about how to make the transition easier would be appreciated.

Nope! I'm just getting started. Win7 will be obsolete next year any way. Devs are blackmailed into keeping up. I think we might see a bit of a shock wave when it comes home to roost. This means I have to stop buying plugins in the next year or two. I will do this. It's been fun. I've spent a small fortune.

The devs won't go hungry though, there are always those that will keep up with win8 and 9 whatever.

But I'm done.

I'm spending a lot of time with VMs but it is a waste of time I think. It is better just to have the actual physical hardware. It will always be around to buy even if yours fails coz most don't run audio hardware. Video demands greater. No one else cares apart from gamers which always have the latest anyway. It is a very special niche - audio - and a bitch to be in most the time - but it won't be so bad - you will always be able to run a winxp system for the next 10 - 20 years as long as you have hardware, which you will, at little to no cost.

At that cutoff point, I will probably have the realisation that I am never going to hit it big in a boy band, mainly because I am fat and bald, and unable to hear frequencies above 10K. I might then give up, if persuaded, or upgrade to win20. Ah ah. You think Microshaft will be around beyond win9? I don't think so.

I'm putting all my eggs in the winxp basket. Virtualisation is possible, but backups and backups and backups at least to work from.

It was the greatest operating system they ever made. They didn't so much shoot themselves in the foot, as, shoot themselves in the foot and fail to bandage it up properly and move on. But spying for the NSA took precedence. Whoring for the DCMCA or whatever was up there too. A lot of people disliked them before, but they are downright loathed now. And worse, most youngsters don't even know who they are. MicroWHO?

When they stop stealing you baby, you is really dead.

It was fun for a while. Shit, it was the only game in town. And it still is.

WinXp SP3 all the way. Come death or glory, or rather, baldness or fame. I know which one I have my chips on. Still, we play. It's all we have.

They left us no other choice.

----------------------
There was madness in any direction, at any hour. If not across the Bay, then up the Golden Gate or down 101 to Los Altos or La Honda. . . . You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. . . .

And that, I think, was the handle—that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn’t need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting—on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .

So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark—that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.”
----------------------------------

If you don't need to upgrade, then there is no need to upgrade. Sorry to be captain obvious.

I did the RC of win7 when it came out and instantly loved it. So when I went x64 years ago (like 4 1/2 years) I went that way and never looked back. Win7x64 makes me all giggly and happy inside :) I love it.

I've heard that there are driver issues with 8.1, and a couple of other complaints about how it operates and see no need to upgrade until 2020 when support will stop. I have two primary needs for my computer. Internet, music. I don't need the latest greatest, I need what works.

hibidy wrote:If you don't need to upgrade, then there is no need to upgrade. Sorry to be captain obvious.

I did the RC of win7 when it came out and instantly loved it. So when I went x64 years ago (like 4 1/2 years) I went that way and never looked back. Win7x64 makes me all giggly and happy inside :) I love it.

I've heard that there are driver issues with 8.1, and a couple of other complaints about how it operates and see no need to upgrade until 2020 when support will stop. I have two primary needs for my computer. Internet, music. I don't need the latest greatest, I need what works.
The only need to upgrade is because you are being raped.

No finer way to put it.

The plugins you bought need to be upgraded - great. But do they need to be obsoleted? No.

The devs have a very hard time. Microshit who own the monopoly keep moving the goal posts. It's not easy being a dev. But then again, they play their little games and need to make money too.

I just jumped off the fast spinning roundabout, that's all. I know for a fact that there is not one person in this world that is going to develop a synth better than ImpOSCar. I was a bit miffed when I had problems with v1, and they told me they did not support that any more on win7. But I understood. I have v2. That works.

I don't need more. I still have not learned how to use that to 10 percent of its capacity.

f**k microshit. f**k all the devs that go along with it. If you give me softs that work and run on XP - I'll keep buying. If you obsolete my softs, I will stop right there. I don't care what you do. I am not going to beg you. I have MORE than enough softs.

It was winxp today, but it is win7 tomorrow. Jesus, they would tap a line into your vein and suck your blood if they could. They already do to lots of people that accept it.

I don't give a f**k. I'm buying up old computers. They are modular and bits can be replaced. I am good to go for the next twenty years. After that, well maybe I will take up knitting...

I don't think that knitting would go along with that post :hihi:

hibidy wrote:I don't think that knitting would go along with that post :hihi:
Probably Knot.

Geddit?

It's late. I'm ready for breakfast. 12 hour fast, gonna cook some greasy stuff now in the extra virgin olive oil.

Butchery and murder.

Q: Is everyone here done with Windows XP?
A: Yes. Every last one of us.
A p.s.: :P
arkmabat wrote:
Harry_HH wrote:
mysticvibes wrote:...windows 8 looks like a mcdonalds cash register
What does this matter - as far as it doesn't behave like piece on junk. W 8.1 is so far most effective, and you can always trim the metro away
Tell me how! :hyper:

Not aware of a way of fully cutting it away since it seems built into the architecture rather deeply.

However, you can rid yourself of having to see it for much of your time in Windows 8 by getting Classic Shell and setting it to boot to the Desktop (plus it also allows you to get the older XP start menu look and feel too if you so desire)

Doesn't quite make up for the ~20GB install size of bloat around an OS that could easily be 1gb.
If I had 8.1, I wouldn't use any more features than I did with XP, and the bullshit would get in my way.
And that's the last thing you want any OS to do.

That's what bigger hard drives are for! :D

xp served me well enough for a long time. I think nearly 9 years?

XP was just so crap in multitasking heavy applications (which I do at work and at home) vs. even Vista, got really tired of waiting for task to come up from the taskbar, because it was immediately thrown into swapfile, even I had loads of memory unused.

So swapping, swapping, waiting. First OSX's also functioned really slow like XP.

"The only need to upgrade is because you are being raped" - YMMV, I like being not raped by XP's stupid kernel. :)
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Not me, my personal work/music comp is XP. I still have no good enough reason to update. If it works, don't break it. The end of support thing is overrated, windows update still works, they actually even issued another update after the 'definite end of support' deadline. Read, if something is really broken, it looks, they still gonna fix it anyway.

legendCNCD wrote:XP was just so crap in multitasking heavy applications
You must be using a different XP to what I am using :/

Happy XP user here ... never seen the need to upgrade. Maybe if I buy a new PC.

metamorphosis wrote:
legendCNCD wrote:XP was just so crap in multitasking heavy applications
You must be using a different XP to what I am using :/
Nah, its common knowledge with fex. Adobe software (my work is graphics designer). Run couple of them with your data, minimize other down, work with the other, then bring up the previous one... gigantic swapping ensues. XP kernel memory management threw other task into swap while you were working with current task. This happens even when you have enough memory.

This does not happen on Vista or 7 or..
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”