Too many volume knobs! How to get something consistent?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Kind of driving myself crazy here. I keep having times when I sit down, open a synth and it's way too loud, but Windows is low, or vice versa. I have a volume knob for windows, one on my monitors, one on my interface, ect.

So is there any method to keep things in check? Keep certain volumes at a set level and only turn up others?

Thanks!

Just use an external volume knob like a monitor controller, or the one on the soundcard.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Try to keep all of them at "unity" level, except for the one you can grab instantly. I guess that's on your interface...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

This has served me well to minimize the number of volume controls on my system:
http://www.samsontech.com/samson/produc ... /ccontrol/

HTH

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Set your Windows vol at 100%. Never touch it. Set your mons at 50%. Set your interface control faders at 0. I had a C-Control but it was limited, so i got a Mackie Big Knob and set it up with the DAW to get a consistent level, depending on knob position. You will still have some issues going from, like DAW to YouTube to online vids, but the overall control is there.
Maarkr
HW: Casio PX-5S, Roland FA-06 , Epi Les Paul, Ovation, Yamaha e-drums, Ibanez bass
SW: Intel i7-8700, Win 11-64 Pro, Studio One Pro, Waves, IK Multi, Izotope, NI

OTO all the above, If you are able to then resave all the patches/presets in all the software and hardware synths, ROMplers & sound modules you have and use, At the very least do so on your "go to" pieces so that the level is always consistent and predictable, Setup templates in your host/hosts of choice too. Doing so will in the long run save you a lot of time reaching for any of the volume controls and keep your gain staging consistent which is an area that is so simple yet so important to setup for optimal results and a fluid/rapid workflow when your in creative mode. Its a real buzzkill having to constantly interrupt one's self to setup and re-setup things that can easily be done if you put aside a few hours or however long it may take depending on the amount of "go to" gear you have I find

It will also have the benefit of affording you to not have to dump peak-limiters on to tracks to tame them, Unless you are doing so for affect

Those hours spent setting up everything may well be boring but as said once you've done it, You will save yourself so much time in the long run :)

All the best

Win8 remembers device levels. If I plug in headphones or even switch to asio I think, it'll change the levels to whatever that device was at last.

Thanks for all the advice! I'll give this a shot ASAP.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”