Switched to Opera from Firefox

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have no idea why you're bothered by it. If I gave you a blow by blow of exactly what I don't like, would that matter?

Let's see:

IE 11: the interface was painful for me so I jumped ship.
Firefox: crash crash crash goes the Adobe.
Chrome: finally fixed scaling in beta 37, but battery drain bug/feature is still there.
Opera: Doesn't even try to scale, looks tiny as hell.

Basically a matter of "pick your poison" in my case, I guess.
Meh.

Sorry to be such a dummy, but can you explain what you mean by "scaling" ?

hibidy wrote:Sorry to be such a dummy, but can you explain what you mean by "scaling" ?
I probably should have been more clear in that I mean 'upscaling.' On high resolution/dpi displays like my Surface Pro 3, a program will either:

1)Look great in the window
2)Look like blurry shit in the window
3)Look great in a smaller window with things so tiny you can't read them or interact easily.

Because:

1)It upscales the elements properly or the dev use vector graphic elements
2)It upscales poorly and/or uses raster images (jpg, bmp, etc) that are based on pixels
3)It gives you an image on a pixel per pixel basis, so on a 2160x1440 display a 640x480 image or window is quite small, for example.

Chrome beta 37 uses the new DirectWrite API instead of the old Graphics Device Interface, and looks clean and sleek again (36 uses GDI and is blurry).
Meh.

Oh. Well, I guess I don't have that kinda monitor because by and large everything looks about the same website wise. Thanks for the explanation though.

so good, it needed to be said twice :hihi:

Anyways, it wasn't the most informative article ever, but seemed to be saying "use what you like" which I thought was the point of the OP :shrug:

@google: Wasn't there a bunch of moaning about google being the evil empire and chrome being a security leak to the hive-mind? I can't keep up. I use opera, I have pretty simple expectations.

hibidy wrote:@google: Wasn't there a bunch of moaning about google being the evil empire and chrome being a security leak to the hive-mind? I can't keep up. I use opera, I have pretty simple expectations.
pretty much, yep. but you can use Chromium, which is Chrome without the closed-source stuff (i.e. no tracking stuff).
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

BBFG# wrote:Chrome. Flash player can be turned offed with chosen exceptions only allowed (Which helps the DL Bandwidth tremendously).
How? I only know how to enable or disable it completely :?
At least Flash Player is not causing problems in Chrome... But saving bandwidth would be great because I have a monthly limit.

isn't there something like flashblock for chrome? you'll probably want to look into at least Ghostery extension. that'll save you tremendous amounts of traffic over time. just make sure to enable some ads for sites you frequently visit (i.e. KVR).
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

I have AdBlock installed, I suppose it is something similar.

Basically I am content with Chrome. Of course I don't have a Google or Gmail account, I would not want that.

I never liked Opera, and now it is Chrome inside, anyway.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”