Crucial 550 vs Crucial 500 any opinions?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hi I recently got a 2012 Mac Pro and I want to set up the Mac with a 1tb SSD as a boot drive.
Last week I bought and returned the Samsung 840 Evo 1tb SSD after the reports came out about speed issues etc......
So now I'm considering one of these Crucial SSD's,for me the most important factor is reliability.
Does anyone here have good info or reasons why I should go with the 550 or the 500.........
I want reliability,I'm sure either will be faster than a 7200 hd,I need 1tb and as far as I know it's either Samsung or Crucial in the quality and bang for the buck 1tb SSD.
Please correct me if I'm overlooking a 1tb SSD from another model line or manufacturer.
Are there any other 1tb SSD's in a similar price range that you feel would be a better choice to be used as an OS drive..
Which do users think are the best SSD candidates for boot drive duties?

THANKS
KG

:tu:
2012 Mac Pro,3.46 Ghz,12 core 96g ,Mojave,RME, DP11.01, Logic 10.51,RME UCX, Great River ME-1NV, a few microphones,Spectrasonics, U-he Komplete12U & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, UAD,Mimic Pro/SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata ....

MX-500 is a magnitude faster than a spindle drive. The 550 is slightly better than the 500 with more consistent IOPS and more space - 1TB vs 960GB for the 500. But, it's a no-brainer, since if you shop around you'll find the 550 for cheaper than the 500.

There aren't any other options in that price range, especially with your experience with the Samsung 840 series have long term performance bug.
perception: the stuff reality is made of.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”