i5 Processor with Ableton

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

Is anyone using an Intel® Core™ i5-4460 Processor with Ableton Live 9??
If so, how's the performance??

Thanks

Live won't be the issue, it's the third party plugins you intend to use. If you're using just Live, I'd say you're fine.
You'll be fine with plugins as well, but it all depends which ones and how many....

I second what Bdeep said. Live 9, and it's bundled instruments are very CPU light. I have an aging i3 that can run L9 alright for on the go production, just have to freeze tracks/bounce down sooner than on my i7 desktop.

I'm still using a dual core E2160 and 1 GB of Ram. You can imagine how bad performance is. When i use massive and other plugins and have a lot of modulation, use easily climb to 70%.

That i5 will be a significant improvement

I've got an i5 3570 as my main PC DAW and performance is good. I can run 50-60 channel projects no problem although some plugins can still cause issues if I use a few of them in big projects (Diva for example) but generally speaking there's plenty of CPU headroom with the i5 quads.

Likewise, not having, or ever had, CPU performance issues on my i5, 750 @2.67GHz with Live.

RAM though is a different problem. 8Gb was not enough for the libraries I use, so built another with 32Gb and moved my libraries to it and added VI Ensemble Pro 5.

Before, on the i5 system had constant crashes with Live 9.

Now, Live's performance seems soooooo much better :D

If possible for you to do I cannot more recommend a slave system. ;)

One happy camper here :tu:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”