How to add to RAR archive 40k files without using windows search and Help with Indexing

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have over 40 thousand files I need to archive spread throughout a drive in different folders. I cannot use windows search because the drive cannot be index and will take quite some time to fix and solve. Is there another method that can allow me to search a drive and add to winrar .rar archive the search results? I've used some file searching programs, but there isn't an option to use rar to archive the search results. One program, effective file search, can allow this, but if I select more than 5k files it crashes! Windows can select them all however if I could manage to have them show up all in a search, which I can't for now. Is there a way to achieve what I'm trying to do? Please Help!!

Windows search works but incomplete. If i use a 3rd party file searcher it brings up 44k files that I need copied on this drive. If I use windows search it is 14k. It actually depends where I search on the drive. Where I know where most of the files are it is over 20k when I should that folder. If I go to the root H: and search I get WAY less results. Its not searching the entire drives folders and subfolders etc. So I decided to index the drive at first. After 24 hours and quite a few files I paused the index scan and searched the drive with windows and 44k files showed up. However I could not select them all at the same time, probably cause the scan was incomplete and paused.

I was trying to index an external hard drive. It has take a day so far and it hasn't moved past a certain point for a few hours 1,787,175. How can I fix this. How can I found out which file is causing the indexing program to freeze. Once I get it fixed how can I make indexing run faster. It takes quite a bit of time so I'm willing to devote more system resources to speed it up. Also, I noticed there is a way to narrow the index by file type. There are a few hundred. Is there a way to deselect them all really quickly or is it absolutely necessary to unclick them all, which will take 5 minutes!!!
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

I tried using Winrar to pack some Windows searches, are you saying how to get it bigger and not crash?
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

Windows searches is incomplete alot of the times unless it is indexed. Indexing can take days depending on how many files are on a drived. It's possible the windows search will bring up less than half of the files you are looking for, like in my case. Windows only brought up 20k files. A 3rd party app brought up 44k!. If you need to back up your files windows search doesn't cut it!! The 3rd party app would be fine, but the winrar shell menu that pups up crashes if more than a few thousand files are selected to add to rar.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Hi,

have you tried Everything? I've never had any issues with it and it's lightning fast. The initial indexing takes less than a minute or two, but not more (at least on my system) and it uses the standard context menu, meaning you can easily create/add to an archive. Actually since I have it, most of the time I don't even bother opening up explorer anymore 8) Best search engine there is imo.

Cheers

Okay, I think I may have figured out a method, and a simple one. I simply created a dummy rar archive with only one file in it and put on desktop. I then selected all the files that came up in search results using the 3rd party app and simply dragged them over into the archive and it worked. Or is working rather, however I noticed the compression is 27 percent where as usually its around 12 percent. Also there isn't an option to split volumes into segments whenever I dragged. Otherwise its 44k files and weighs 150 GB!!. Hopefully the ration will run down some and I can split the archive when finished.

Just installed everything and will see if that will work to. Run now I'm trying to figure out how to scan an external drive though, it only lets me scan c: right now?
Last edited by Touch The Universe on Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TTU Youtube

Sweet, down to 13 percent! I think the problem is solved :D

For people reading, don't use windows search to backup your data cause you'll only have incomplete searches and save up to half you data in some cases, thinking you got everything. Use a 3rd party app, or index the drive in windows. 3rd party app is quick, only minutes, windows index takes days. Then if you have lots of files, simply drag them into and archive then split the archive :tu:

TTU Youtube

The program Everything allowed me to add all the files to archive!! I cancelled the other method cause the ratio wass out of whack and I don't won't to manually split the archive. I will probably split the search results into 8 self contained rars anyways so I don't have to rely on .rar parts being corrupt.

TTU Youtube

mysticvibes wrote:don't use windows search to backup your data
Actually I always turned off the indexing service since they came up with it. Way too slow and moreover it's always just been a drain for the system's performance. Since I got to know Everything I always wondered why they leave it at that when there's much more faster methods (Everything directly accesses the MFT iirc).

Well anyway...glad it worked out :tu:

Cheers

From a similar topic. how do I choose where to save the output 7zip file when using 7zip. The files are on e hd and I want to save the zip to dekstop? Also is there a way to split winrar files into smaller parts. I have a 20 GB rar that I'd like split into 8 GB parts. Or I need an archiver that lets me split an archive into 8 gb parts while compressing and it needs to allow me to change the ouput to a different location..

TTU Youtube

You reminded me exactly why I like the TotalCommander so much.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

mysticvibes wrote:I have over 40 thousand files I need to archive spread throughout a drive in different folders.
You mean you got 40,000 files ?

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”